• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Contacts taking up huge space

The first problem I had when I got my Desire was when I logged in to the Facebook Online Directory. I had 1000+ FB friends for games and it added over 70mb data to Contacts Storage, completely filling up my phone and causing a Force Close on everything. Managed to get to Contacts Storage eventually and deleted data, which also logged me out of the Facebook Directory.

I've said for a long time that it would be great if you could selectively link Contacts to FB accounts, rather than adding ALL FB friends to Contacts. There are only about 40 Facebook friends I want to sync and add to Contacts, but I can't do it without also syncing the other 950+ gaming friends.

Upvote 0
I had this exact same problem, my contacts were taking up 97mb!!
I exported only the numbers i wanted to my sd card. Then went to manage apps>Contacts and cleared the data. Then imported my contacts back. I also had to go into my gmail account and deleted all my unwanted contacts in there as there was over 600 for some reason and your phone automatically syncs with your gmail account. I've been keeping my eye on my contacts storage and it seems to be staying around the 9mb mark now.

Upvote 0
I had to do this yesterday as mine had reached a bloated 40 MB.

Warning! Clearing the data does delete all contacts, call history and Facebook data. So make sure to back up the contacts and call history (if you want it), first before doing this. Mine went from being about 42 MB to 12.11 MB after clearing restore contacts and resyncing with Facebook.

Edit: Like Tony said, stay out of the online Directory for Facebook, as that is what will cause the bloating issues.

Upvote 0
How do I not select the online directory of facebook? coz none of my friends actually put their numbers on fb, i just sync for birthdays, events and contact pics !

Just never go into it under the People app. Syncing with Facebook for Sense will automatically pull lots of Facebook data, and there's no way to select what, but entering the online directory under the People app is what appears to cause the problems.

It's found under People, going right twice and selecting Facebook just so you know how to avoid it.

Upvote 0
Lots of people are finding their contacts app filling up. A hard reset seems to the only "solution". Not sure that it is Facebook that is causing the problem though.

The Facebook app and Facebook Online Directory are two completely different things and you need to log in to each seperately. The app data shows basic wall posts, messages, etc and doesn't cache very much data, while the directory service downloads contact info, personal data and profile pics for ALL Facebook friends and adds it to your phone Contacts, and the size of the stored data is related to how many FB friends you have. Best guess is that each FB friends need about 80-100k storage.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones