• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Coolest feature you've found?

Here's another find: you can delete individual notifications by swiping them to the left after you pull down the notifications bar. This is so much better than having to tap "Clear" to get rid of a bunch of notifications when you want to save just one or two.

To All
I notice no one commented on the tip I passed for clearing individual Notifications!!
That shows you are quick to disagree but not as forthcoming to say 'Thanks', or nice tip 'I Like it'.

maybe because it was first posted a month and a half ago.

I still don't understand how a user new to ICS (which doesn't mean new to Android, which I pointed out earlier and you ignored) is supposed to know which features come from ICS and which are touch wiz.

If I find something neat on my phone do I need to research its origins before I can post it here?

I'm sorry you feel like you need to take your toys and go home because people disagree with you.

Back to the topic: my favorite feature (which comes from ICS) is the ability to use the Chrome browser. I love having my tabs and bookmarks available on all my devices. Much better than chrome to phone, which I'd used to accomplish this before.

I also like (but this isn't exactly hidden!) how when a call ends you get the option to see the contact info (perfect I'd you want to try them again on another line) or send a text. I rarely leave voicemails, preferring to send a text with the message, so this is a big help. I love that it uses the user selected texting app (in my case Google voice) but I wish there were a quick link to Google talk from this screen, too. I use that more than texting with several people.

I seriously expected better from you SURoot.

To All
I notice no one commented on the tip I passed for clearing individual Notifications!!
That shows you are quick to disagree but not as forthcoming to say 'Thanks', or nice tip 'I Like it'.

So, you will all now be very glad to hear I have had enough of this forum.
If I can not disagree with a member without suffering abuse and find even our serious members are not supportive then clearly I am not needed here.
Check the thread 'Galaxy won't turn on'. That shows 200 members I helped revive their dead Galaxy Tablets.
They were grateful, which is a shame I will not be around to help any others.

Another cool feature of the Galaxy SIII.....
People getting the cranks and having a temper tantrum because they didn't get their own way.

Back on topic. I think the coolest feature of the phone is people shocked by the size. I simply tell them that it came with the d**k..... its a set. :p:D

I agreed that your point holds water but also that the other points hold water and that it was a senseless argument as both arguments are valid and that there is no way to make either side back down so the thread should be left to actually discuss the thread title instead.

So what is it exactly you expected from me? You expected for me NOT to be mature and impartial? Then perhaps you never knew me at all.

I'm sorry I couldn't be childish and only agree with you.

I'm sorry you feel like you need to take your toys and go home because people disagree with you.

Although I agree that ICS features are features of the S3, I think that comment is unfair. The reason he feels like leaving is not because people disagree with him, but because someone made an unacceptably abusive comment which I will not repeat because a Mod has already deleted it.

I find myself using the SmartStay function more and more. For instance, I went up to the gym and spent about 45 minutes on the treadmill. I use my phone for music, so I had it propped up on the treamill's little platform/display. If I kept it pointing at me, SmartStay kept the screen on, even while sprinting. It is quite convenient for changing tracks without having to wake the phone. I realize many apps have an "always on" feature, but I don't always use the same app and I don't want them to always stay on.

To All

How's this:

I am not needed here.
I will not be around to help any others.

Thanks! I like it!

And since I know you will actually read this and not leave like you said you would, keep in mind that there are a TON of tips in this thread that have gone on rather unacknowledged. It doesn't mean that there wasn't someone that found them helpful. Participating in an online forum for the stated recognition of anonymous internet users is, well, pathetic.

Disagree..... What you are saying is any standard ICS feature which is found on not just the S3 but any phone or tablet with ICS should be included as a coolest tip.
Just because someone migrates from IOS to Android you can't then brand this feature or any other standard ICS feature as a tip in the S3 section, as after all the topic title is indeed in the S3 section of the forum and not in Android General.

Well, you're certainly within your right to disagree, but regardless your opinion is not supported by the subject of this thread. It asks what people find the " coolest" or most enjoyable feature of their new phone. Nowhere is it stated that's limited to S3 "exclusives". You're ( or anyone else for that matter) certainly free to limit your enthusiasm to S3 specific features, but that's not a reason to limit or dismiss other people's view on what they really enjoy about their new gadget :)

Clear Individual Notifications
Here's the scenario ~ you get several Notifications showing but of the many you only want to keep two for looking into later.
Prior to ICS the only way to get rid of the Notifications was to tap on 'Clear', which as we know cleared all the Notifications.
However, under ICS you can delete individual Notifications leaving those you want to keep for reading later.
Simply bring down your Notification window and from the list of the ones you want to delete place your finger on an individual Notification and swipe right........ The Notification is then deleted leaving the other ones showing.
Carry on doing this on all the other Notifications you do not want to keep and it clears all but the important ones for reading later.
Again not S3 specific but found on the S3.

All feature I find very useful on my s3. Thanks for sharing!

much like other message boards i have been on....

the topic of the matter has about 1/2 of the posts covering the title, and the other half....well not so much...

with that said, as i am getting mine on Monday...I will take the time to dig through the dirt...because DAYMN...there are some cool features:D:D:D

also of note...

the photon allowed you to clear individual notifications with a little - symbol next to it...

not just ICS or SGIII

Cool feature that I found recently...Emergency Alerts.
Go into your messaging app, then settings and scroll down to the bottom and click on Emergency Alerts to select which ones you want to receive. The options are:
Presidential Alerts (which can't be turned off)
Extreme Alerts
Severe Alerts
Amber Alerts

Doesn't seem to be present on my AT&T S3.

To All

If I can not disagree with a member without suffering abuse and find even our serious members are not supportive then clearly I am not needed here.
Check the thread 'Galaxy won't turn on'. That shows 200 members I helped revive their dead Galaxy Tablets.
They were grateful, which is a shame I will not be around to help any others.

Hey Beards! Been a while. I for one appreciate ALL tips. Met up with you over on Galaxy Tab board. I'm afraid you have to often put up with a lot on these boards. Some people get their entertainment out of causing conflict. I myself have far to much in my life to come on here and to get more. I find many useful things posted here so for those of you who don't have something constructive to say, DON'T SAY ANYTHING. Thanks

200px-Trollface.svg.png

I think you have to turn sharing on before DNLA will work. Settings / More Settings (under Wireless and networks) / Nearby devices / File sharing to On. Your TV should show up on the Nearby devices list in the Notifications bar. I was playing around with it and my mothers 55" LG this weekend, but I can't remember the specifics. I went into Gallery and either there was a pop up, or I had to tap the share button at the top to get the popup. The pop up asked to connect and share with the found device. I said yes and was off and running. Much more difficult than it was on my Droid X. The DX just did it.

Nearby Devices is all greyed out cannot set anything on or off in that menu!

I like that I turned off my alarm this morning by saying "stop!"

Now that sounds interesting. Does anything have to be turned on for that to work?

Oh and I actually like the "Daily Briefing" alarm. I have it go off in the early afternoon so I can get an update on the weather (no windows in my office) and a quick shot of the news.

Now that sounds interesting. Does anything have to be turned on for that to work?

Yes. In settings > Language and input > Voice cmd for apps. First this toggle needs to be turned on. Then Tap on the words "Voice cmd for apps" and a sub menu appears where you can choose which apps can be voice controlled. I have the alarm, and also the camera turned on - so I can say "shoot" to take a shot :)

Yes. In settings > Language and input > Voice cmd for apps. First this toggle needs to be turned on. Then Tap on the words "Voice cmd for apps" and a sub menu appears where you can choose which apps can be voice controlled. I have the alarm, and also the camera turned on - so I can say "shoot" to take a shot :)

I have all of those items checked, I like being able to reject calls when I'm driving without touching my phone.

Back
Top Bottom