• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Coolest feature you've found?

I've used the "alarm briefing" a lot this week.

Anybody get it to work in the car with sound only coming from bluetooth? When I use it the sound comes from the phone, then split second later it starts from bluetooth and pretty much just get echo. Tried with driving mode off and on.

great thread.

That's an ICS thing. Nothing to do with the Galaxy S3.

It has everything to do with an S3 as ICS ships on S3. Many of these cool features are not necessarily Samsung or S3 specific, however they are quite relevant to the new S3 owners as many of the people here have migrated from IOS or earlier android releases and have a never experienced them.

The thread title asks for coolest features found, and not features exclusive to the S3.

Cool feature that I found recently...Emergency Alerts.
Go into your messaging app, then settings and scroll down to the bottom and click on Emergency Alerts to select which ones you want to receive. The options are:
Presidential Alerts (which can't be turned off)
Extreme Alerts
Severe Alerts
Amber Alerts

That is a nice feature. I had it on the GSII Epic on Sprint, but don't see it on the international GSIII on AT&T. Guess the I9300 didn't get this since its mainly used in Europe?

Is this appreciably different than any other flashlight app that uses the LED. I currently use Flashlight HD LED, but they mostly seem the same

Assistive light is the fastest "on /off" LED light. Its much faster that the other market LED lights. its not very comprehensive but very instant reaction
:)

OK, just spent the better part of the day going through the whole thread listing things to do when my new phone shows up Wednesday. Listed everything I thought applied to me - might save you some time if you just found this thread - like me!

I just copied/pasted as I went - so if something doesn't make sense - you're just going to have to hunt it down in here somewhere...

-When viewing a text or contact and need to call that person just hold the phone up to your ear.

-Swipe contact left to send a text, right to call.*

Settings>language and input>voice command for apps>camera*

You can also answer and reject calls w/voice

When creating a new alarm or changing am existing one, look for "alarm type" my and change that to briefing. Load 'Clock' then 'Alarm' tab.Next tap the + symbol to create a new Alarm.
Now look down where it says 'Alarm Type' and tap to select the bottom item 'Briefing'.

Love the palm swipe for screen shot, so much easier than 2 buttons at once

Another cool thing: creating custom vibration patterns for each contact. The interface for doing this is just perfect! click on Sounds>Device vibration>Create(at the bottom)

Also, taking a picture by voice is really handy, since you can steady the camera with both hands and tell the camera when to shoot.

I was really impressed with the Panorama camera mode (accessed by setting your Shooting mode to Panorama). It enables you to pan while the camera snaps photos to create stitched together panoramic photos.

A well documented feature, but the live backgrounds are really cool, I use the windmills displaying the current weather conditions (at the moment it's raining and there's water drops coming down the screen) also darkens at dusk/night etc.

Once you enable it you open the camera, you will notice a new icon on the screen a face with little waves. Now if you say shoot or one of the other words it takes a picture when u say the word. It's pretty cool, just don't say shoot on in a airplane. The google voice will not work with the voice app recognition built into the phone for some reason - you have to change it to Samsung Vlingo for those voice commands to work

The answer reject calls should work the same way, but I haven't had any luck with the answer or reject yet.

To answer calls hold the phone face up in your hand and semi close to your face and say answer and it answers the call, same for reject.

I stumbled across the "Assistive light" widget

wireless transmitting of video over wifi to my tv. Found this by accident when I clicked on a symbol whilst playing a video,

Double tap the top of the phone to get to the top of a list (ie Contacts

Is there a way to remove the "Swipe screen to unlock" text from the opening screen?
Settings, security ,lockscreen options and untick "Help text"

multi-task function. Press/hold "home" button at bottom

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...y5hbmRyb2lkLm1pbWFnZS5waG90b3JldG91Y2hpbmciXQ

1)Settings -> Language and Input -> Text-to-speech output -> Driving mode -> slide to on -> check all 7 items (including "Message Read out senders' information when new messages arrive").

2) Select S Voice -> Settings -> Message check "Show body of message".
Once I have done the above, I select "Diving mode" on from icon at the top of the pull down menu from the home screen (it goes green from grey/blue).

Settings-->developer options-->*
change windows animation scale and transition scale to off.*
Home button and lock screen are now at ludacris speed.

put on headphones and go through the personal call equalization process. Who knew the S3 includes a free hearing test? Call Settings>In-call sound EQ settings>Personalized EQ The phone will test each ear with a range of tones at various volumes and frequencies and produce a custom equalization curve for each ear. You can then apply the appropriate curve based on which ear you use most often while talking on the phone

but if I miss a text my phone vibrates when I pick it up.
That's Smart Alert under the motion settings

Small but nice feature I found: while in call log, press a contact's picture and the contact's info pops up in a small window. Scroll down for more info on the contact. Press icons to email, map location, etc.

=
Fave features

Palm Karate Chop to print screen

A beam S beam to share photos apps web you tube (tapping phones with my friends phone)
Samsung Galaxy S3 - S Beam (Share Pictures, Files, Webpages, Maps & more Between Phones) - YouTube

face unlock (i always notice the sky or ceilings in shops)

percent charge as a number in task bar

new brower settings labs 'quick controls' (settings was hidden had to click the menu button and then scrol the mini list - i didnt realise it scrolled) - quick controls makes side press menu on browser. its kind of cool.

Desktop folders - I had GO launcher before
Hide Apps in app drawer

holding the little dots will scroll the main window and app window (turns into a scroll bar)

HDR camera setting can make some really great photos. (not really in manual - but takes more than one phone at different contrast and combines - so say in nature sky and clouds are visible and trees look crisp - not really explained that very well :))

Cant wait to try
the voice command on the camera :)
and custom vibration settings (if i could just get ...rat.tat.ta.tat .tat ...tat.tat) :smokingsomb:

I'm not sure how new any of these things are but i enjoy them and i assume that's the point of the post

If i remember any more I'll share

My "Alarm Briefing" and the weather on the lock screen aren't updating - same temp and headlines for 2 days now. Can't find the sync or refresh settings. Anybody know how to address this? Thanks.

The need for speed. My new S3 is a lot faster than my Mesmerize was and we don't even have 4G service yet. The only thing I don't like is the fact that the S3 doesn't have call restriction option.

I also like the 4,000 mAh battery I just installed. I only have to charge it about every 5 days.

Have you enabled it in settings > security > lock screen options?

You need to press and hold part of the screen then rotate fairly slowly into landscape mode. If you have a password set you still need to enter the code.

What am I supposed to change once I'm in settings > security? There are lock screen options but can't seem to figure it out...thanks for your help

shortride said:
The need for speed. My new S3 is a lot faster than my Mesmerize was and we don't even have 4G service yet. The only thing I don't like is the fact that the S3 doesn't have call restriction option.

I also like the 4,000 mAh battery I just installed. I only have to charge it about every 5 days.

link?

That is a nice feature.
No, it would be a nice feature if one could choose to turn off any and all of the alerts. But since one of the alerts cannot be turned off, it's an intrusive feature.

General Rule - Usually, a telephone feature intended to keep me informed, which I can choose to turn off, is a good feature. But the same telephone feature intended to keep me informed, which I cannot turn off, is not such a good feature.
--
Michael

I had the same problem. I gave up on it though and went back to the Good Morning app.

I went into Security > Lock Screen Options > and turned the Weather off, then back on. This reset it to the current conditions, so we'll see if updates at all.

I like the news ticker too, turned on on the same security screen.

EDIT: Doh! Also on the same screen, I didn't turn on AutoRefresh in the Weather section, so it wouldn't update. All good to go now!

I know all about Gorilla Glass. I've seen the videos, read the hype, have experience with several phones that have it. And I have also read of quite a few accounts of people getting scratches on the Gorilla Glass equipped phone. This has been discussed at length and it's an absolute FACT that there are relatively common elements that will and does scratch it. Sand is the primary example. It's harder than GG and even just a few grains in your pocket can scratch it. The videos you've seen where people are abusing the GG with knives, pens, etc. are misleading because those items are made of materials softer than the GG. It's surprising that you're a "Senior Member" on this forum and have never seen this discussed before. Do whatever you want but when you advise people that they don't need a screen protector because of GG then you are giving false information. Lots of people get away with not using a screen protector on GG but quite a few have found out the hard way that it doesn't protect from everything. Good luck with that.

Benny
well thats seems right! i have the htc one x, one month old, it has scratch resistance corning gorilla glass,,, noooup ,,, because it has screen scratches on screen, after a month, it doesnt have screen protector,, I purchased the sg3 verizon and i dont trust feedback and hipe over gorilla glass anymore, by the way... material construction in htc one x is better, camera is amazing *(can be compared to a digital cam) if you leard ti use hdr function on one x is better, battery better too,on one x, but I think sg3 runs smoother and is noticeable bigger screen cause it uses all screen on browser exept in camera pics that are not wide screen, as on one x. external sd card is a must have, any body knows how to use go launcher but keep the widgets from sense and touchwiz main screen?? i worked too many hours in configure my phones to start again , cause I like go lancher, by the way iphone is so'' boring''

I know all about Gorilla Glass. I've seen the videos, read the hype, have experience with several phones that have it. And I have also read of quite a few accounts of people getting scratches on the Gorilla Glass equipped phone. This has been discussed at length and it's an absolute FACT that there are relatively common elements that will and does scratch it. Sand is the primary example. It's harder than GG and even just a few grains in your pocket can scratch it. The videos you've seen where people are abusing the GG with knives, pens, etc. are misleading because those items are made of materials softer than the GG. It's surprising that you're a "Senior Member" on this forum and have never seen this discussed before. Do whatever you want but when you advise people that they don't need a screen protector because of GG then you are giving false information. Lots of people get away with not using a screen protector on GG but quite a few have found out the hard way that it doesn't protect from everything. Good luck with that.

Benny
well thats seems right! i have the htc one x, one month old, it has scratch resistance corning gorilla glass,,, noooup ,,, because it has screen scratches on screen, after a month, it doesnt have screen protector,, I purchased the sg3 verizon and i dont trust feedback and hipe over gorilla glass anymore, by the way... material construction in htc one x is better, camera is amazing *(can be compared to a digital cam) if you leard ti use hdr function on one x is better, battery better too,on one x, but I think sg3 runs smoother and is noticeable bigger screen cause it uses all screen on browser exept in camera pics that are not wide screen, as on one x. external sd card is a must have, ,...so there are things that make me feel sg3 is better.
in other ideas '''any body knows how to use go launcher in sg3 and one x but keep the widgets from sense and touchwiz main screen?? cause i worked too many hours in configure my phones to start again , cause I like go lanucher, by the way iphone is so'' boring'' excuse my english

well thats seems right! i have the htc one x, one month old, it has scratch resistance corning gorilla glass,,, noooup ,,, because it has screen scratches on screen, after a month, it doesnt have screen protector,, I purchased the sg3 verizon and i dont trust feedback and hipe over gorilla glass anymore, by the way... material construction in htc one x is better, camera is amazing *(can be compared to a digital cam) if you leard ti use hdr function on one x is better, battery better too,on one x, but I think sg3 runs smoother and is noticeable bigger screen cause it uses all screen on browser exept in camera pics that are not wide screen, as on one x. external sd card is a must have, ,...so there are things that make me feel sg3 is better.
in other ideas '''any body knows how to use go launcher in sg3 and one x but keep the widgets from sense and touchwiz main screen?? cause i worked too many hours in configure my phones to start again , cause I like go lanucher, by the way iphone is so'' boring'' excuse my english

you can make the camera take pictures that fill the SIII's screen, you just have to use the second highest resolution (3264x1836 instead of 3264x2448). also i do not believe touchwiz widgets are compatible with third-party launchers.

It has everything to do with an S3 as ICS ships on S3. Many of these cool features are not necessarily Samsung or S3 specific, however they are quite relevant to the new S3 owners as many of the people here have migrated from IOS or earlier android releases and have a never experienced them.

The thread title asks for coolest features found, and not features exclusive to the S3.
Disagree..... What you are saying is any standard ICS feature which is found on not just the S3 but any phone or tablet with ICS should be included as a coolest tip.
Just because someone migrates from IOS to Android you can't then brand this feature or any other standard ICS feature as a tip in the S3 section, as after all the topic title is indeed in the S3 section of the forum and not in Android General.

I disagree with your disagreement. :)

I've been with android some 11/09, but the s3 is my first ICS. I don't know, necessarily, which features are specific to touch wiz and which are ICS. If it's a cool feature on the s3, it belongs here.

I disagree with your disagreement. :)

I've been with android some 11/09, but the s3 is my first ICS. I don't know, necessarily, which features are specific to touch wiz and which are ICS. If it's a cool feature on the s3, it belongs here.
You are very much entitled to disagree.... it is a forum after all.
However, if I were to make a post stating all the features found in ICS and post them in this topic I am sure I would receive a few negative comments from those who post often enough.
If you want to know what is in ICS you shouldn't have to look in this topic.

However, if I were to make a post stating all the features found in ICS and post them in this topic I am sure I would receive a few negative comments from those who post often enough.

What in the hell are you going on about? The purpose of this thread is to post "cool" features that are found on your S3. ICS is a fundamental part of the S3 ownership experience. It'd be a damn shame for an S3 owner to have to read this thread for features that were not part of the OS, then have to go read a completely different thread for features native to the OS, particularly when the specific implementation of ICS varies from device to device.

Do us all a favor and quit trying to be the authority on what qualifies as an S3 feature and what does not. As far as I (and I'd guess most others) am concerned, if the S3 does it, it is a feature of the S3.

What in the hell are you going on about? The purpose of this thread is to post "cool" features that are found on your S3. ICS is a fundamental part of the S3 ownership experience. It'd be a damn shame for an S3 owner to have to read this thread for features that were not part of the OS, then have to go read a completely different thread for features native to the OS, particularly when the specific implementation of ICS varies from device to device.

Do us all a favor and quit trying to be the authority on what qualifies as an S3 feature and what does not. As far as I (and I'd guess most others) am concerned, if the S3 does it, it is a feature of the S3.
So what you are saying is when Jelly Bean comes along you will skip doing the normal Google Search to find out what features JB will bring to the mass of phones but instead come to this topic.

If I want an ICS feature I will read up on it elsewhere on the net.
If however I wish to know a specific tip for the S3, as in it is solely for the S3 as in located within Touchwiz only I should be able to find it here..... Clearly this is not the case.

...and no one is being an authority, well certainly not in my case.
I did clearly say anyone is entitled to disagree. It is a forum after all.
Regardless as to who agrees or disagrees with whom, you and everyone have opinions which I respect.
That though doesn't mean we can't comment on a subject.

So, I will play your game....
Here's a general ICS tip which you can do on your S3.
It's not an S3 tip..... it's an ICS tip:-

Clear Individual Notifications
Here's the scenario ~ you get several Notifications showing but of the many you only want to keep two for looking into later.
Prior to ICS the only way to get rid of the Notifications was to tap on 'Clear', which as we know cleared all the Notifications.
However, under ICS you can delete individual Notifications leaving those you want to keep for reading later.
Simply bring down your Notification window and from the list of the ones you want to delete place your finger on an individual Notification and swipe right........ The Notification is then deleted leaving the other ones showing.
Carry on doing this on all the other Notifications you do not want to keep and it clears all but the important ones for reading later.
Again not S3 specific but found on the S3.

I suppose you can reaalize that there might be some sneaky features in ICS that are new to the vast majority of us. Ios to android is apples and oranges.

All the above points hold water. We can go in circles, discussing them forever and fill this thread with arguments or we could list the coolest features we've found.

Back
Top Bottom