• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Could I use z4root and rom manager to root EVO?

i was wondering if i could use z4root and rom manager to root my phone?

You will not end up with permanent root using that method that I am aware of. Unrevoked unlocks Nand(turns s-on to s-off) which Z4root does not do. Z4root will give you temporary root til your phone reboots. I am not sure that Rom Manager can flash a custom recovery without having s-off. I would suggest reading the Rooting for Dummies thread and using that method to root your phone. It is simple and works very well. If you have issues, we are here to help get them sorted out.

Upvote 0
You will not end up with permanent root using that method that I am aware of. Unrevoked unlocks Nand(turns s-on to s-off) which Z4root does not do. Z4root will give you temporary root til your phone reboots. I am not sure that Rom Manager can flash a custom recovery without having s-off. I would suggest reading the Rooting for Dummies thread and using that method to root your phone. It is simple and works very well. If you have issues, we are here to help get them sorted out.

No, no it can't :). That is what's special about unrevoked - it give you a custom recovery before you have S-OFF, then flashes unrevoked forever to give you S-OFF. It's an otherwise "impossible" method (flashing recovery before getting S-OFF).

Upvote 0
I wasn't aware that was the order..any idea how it does that?

Well, it used to be the order I believe. I'm not sure if it is anymore. They don't exactly release their source, but if you watch the order as it's rooting, you'll see that it says it's pushing recovery. Unrevoked forever needs to be flashed from recovery, so that must be the order. I have no idea how they do it.

EDIT: and I believe it was the previous version of unrevoked where it would randomly puke half way through, leaving people with a custom recovery, but no S-OFF or rooted ROM. The current version leaves people with S-OFF and no custom recovery, at random, so they may have done something differently. Either way, you can't normally just push whatever recovery you want without S-OFF. If you could, I'd say screw unrevoked, and just flash recovery, then unrevoked forever. Alas, you can't just do that.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones