• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

custom notification bar icons?

Snake X

Android Expert
Aug 20, 2011
ah.. yeah. I wasn't quite sure if it required a custom rom or what.

edit: speaking of roms.. am I able to use rom manager (free version) to be able to back up my rom when I first turn on my phone so that if anything screws up I can reinstall it back to its original state even if i root?

edit 2:

n00b question: what is a custom recovery?

Upvote 0
ah.. yeah. I wasn't quite sure if it required a custom rom or what.

edit: speaking of roms.. am I able to use rom manager (free version) to be able to back up my rom when I first turn on my phone so that if anything screws up I can reinstall it back to its original state even if i root?

edit 2:

n00b question: what is a custom recovery?

A custom recovery allows you to back up, restore from back up, and install roms. It has to be built for each device for it to work correctly.
Rom manager will most likely not work correctly at this time. It uses ClockworkMOD to create the backups. As of right now, no one has a stable CWM on the warp yet.

DO NOT INSTALL ANY ROMS OR RECOVERY FROM THIS.

Upvote 0
you dont need a custom recovery to change the notification icons nor do you need a custom rom unless you theme. you will however need a paid app called "Rom Toolbox" you can make all the icon changes you need from inside the app..... i did it on my phone without any issues. MAKE SURE YOU BACK UP YOUR FRAMEWORK_RES.APK when the app tells you to.

As for the icon pack you cannot use it without the custom recovery and rom. but rom toolbox has a ton of icons to choose from im sure you will find some to suit your tastes

Upvote 0
would titanium backup be considered as a custom recovery or not? Also is the thread http://androidforums.com/warp-all-things-root/455592-testers-wanted.html a thread about making a custom recovery?

Also I would backup my framework_res.apk using titanium backup, right?

edit: sorry for being a noob at all this stuff.. This is my real first android phone actually (last one being the prevail and i returned it in 3 days flat).

Upvote 0
would titanium backup be considered as a custom recovery or not? Also is the thread http://androidforums.com/warp-all-things-root/455592-testers-wanted.html a thread about making a custom recovery?

Also I would backup my framework_res.apk using titanium backup, right?

edit: sorry for being a noob at all this stuff.. This is my real first android phone actually (last one being the prevail and i returned it in 3 days flat).

Titanium will just back up your apps nothing else. A custom recovery backs up everything.
Yes, the "tested-wanted" thread is the custom recovery that is being worked on. It is almost finished. Once it is finished, we will be able to make a complete backup of the phone.

I still have my prevail. They have some great developers over there that made the phone so much better.

Upvote 0
heh.. I did like my prevail at first.. Though the screen was rather small. After I started installing apps it got full. however and moved *everything* to the sd card and it was *still* "full"... that was making me kinda ticked. After I started noticing angry birds lagg.. that made me well.. angry.

Also it didn't have the official flash and I tried to use that armv6 flash hack that didnt even work for what I wanted it to, so after all that I was just like forget this lol

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones