• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Cyanogen 5.0.5.6 out

FYI - reports are that auto-brightness is broken on 5.0.5.6...Koush is aware and looking into it. I haven't had the opportunity to test it yet myself.

Confirmed. When you check "Automatic Brightness" the display dims to about 50% and it stays there no matter the lighting. I tried it in bright lighting as well as low lighting and it just stays at about 50% with the bottom soft keys constantly lit.

Upvote 0
You need to flash either one of bekit's kernels or p3droid's. They are both available in ROM Manager under the CyanogenMOD ROM section. You will need to enable developer mode or whatever in the main menu first though.

I remember seeing something about developer mode on another forum but couldn't find it in ROM Manager...apparently I'm just blind, went back to look again and wow, there's developer mode. :eek:
So I'll try 5.6 again later today when I have time to set everything back up. Thanks.

Upvote 0
updated from 5.0.5.4 to 5.0.5.6 last night, the upgrade went fine, but now my setCPU speeds are way off. I was able to go to 1Ghz on 5.4, now my max is 600Mhz.
What did I do wrong? I just restored back to 5.4 for now, may try 5.6 again later.

Also after you flash your kernel make sure SetCPU device selection is set for autodetect, not Motorola Droid.

Upvote 0
updated from 5.0.5.4 to 5.0.5.6 last night, the upgrade went fine, but now my setCPU speeds are way off. I was able to go to 1Ghz on 5.4, now my max i

Also after you flash your kernel make sure SetCPU device selection is set for autodetect, not Motorola Droid.

i though that might be the problem too but i can confirm 5.6 flashes a stock kernel instead of oc'd.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Upvote 0
Sturge[Droid];519970 said:
i tried to update it yesterday but it keeps aborting telling me the update is bad...can any one help?

Its probably just that the update is bad. If you are using rom manager it wont try to redownload it cause it is already there. You will have to manually delete it from the sd card. It would be in your sd card under the clockworkmod folder then download. There are a number of folders it could be under from there so you just gotta search

Upvote 0
Redflea,

Thanks for taking time to respond. I don't mind participating in a teaching monent at all. That is why I asked the question in the first place.

It was Root Explorer I had avoided in the original brain lock. It would not have done any good without this question anyway.

So, in Root Explorer, the very last existing line is as follows; dalvik.vm.stack-trace-file=/data/anr/traces.txt

If I read you correctly, I go just below that and add a new line as follows;
dalvik.vm.execution-mode=int:jit I then save.

I do not see the above line anywhere else in the build properties. It seems like you are saying that enables JIT. But I admit confusions to a certain extent because my assumption is that JIT is already enabled with the ROM

Further, IF I read you correctly, changing that line (added as the new very last line) to read;

dalvik.vm.execution-mode=int:fast

will disable JIT. Thereafter changing the line to read one or the other will either enable or disable JIT.

So that begs the new question is JIT enabled in the first place with CM 5.0.5.6 in the first place. I guess I don't see why the need to type the enable line you gave me if JIT is not already in the ROM.

Now this is all from clockwork. Nandroid only has the Sholes/DroidMod stuff and none of that is currently installed, as I said I have the Cyanogen from a ROM Manager application. I wonered about de disabling of JIT in the first place because I was seeing some things identified as JIT problems in my phone, hence I wondered about perhaps it needed to be disabled. Anyway thanks again for your time to respond.

Upvote 0
Interesting about the differing results w/autobrightness...some seeing it working, others seeing it not.

So today I noticed that the 4 soft key lights would work (where as last night, they stayed on constantly even in direct light). So I've been playing with it and while the sensor appears to be working (for the soft keys), the screen's brightness WILL NOT change. Very odd that some are reporting that it does. The only thing I can say is that I did not do my usual wipe data, format system, format cache, format boot routine this time...I just updated my ROM in the hopes that it would work right (just once dammit...maybe not) :D

Everything else appears to be functioning correctly though.

Upvote 0
So today I noticed that the 4 soft key lights would work (where as last night, they stayed on constantly even in direct light). So I've been playing with it and while the sensor appears to be working (for the soft keys), the screen's brightness WILL NOT change. Very odd that some are reporting that it does. The only thing I can say is that I did not do my usual wipe data, format system, format cache, format boot routine this time...I just updated my ROM in the hopes that it would work right (just once dammit...maybe not) :D

Everything else appears to be functioning correctly though.

i can tell you mine is working with no problems. i did a wipe then install then a wipe again before restoring my apps from titanium. i do wipes now even with upgrades after i found some straggling 0byte size apps in my list after a simple upgrade from .3 to .4 it sux but thats the price we pay for being on the edge of everything new in the custom rom world. :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones