• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

DCB_Association....Please help me resolve

i didn't buy anything - all I did was download a free Amazon app. Also, I'm new to android - Are all Android phones so tightly locked to Google? It won't even let me download Firefox without going through the Google Play Store, which I'm now wary of doing.... BTW, I realize I'm a little late to the party, so Imaynot get a reply.

i didn't buy anything - all I did was download a free Amazon app. Also, I'm new to android - Are all Android phones so tightly locked to Google? It won't even let me download Firefox without going through the Google Play Store, which I'm now wary of doing.... BTW, I realize I'm a little late to the party, so Imaynot get a reply.
well the play store is android's official app store. you can probably find an apk version somewhere on the net. but be careful where you get your apk's. a lot of sites that carry apk's have been known to be malicious.

.......so yes and know. android does allow 3rd party apk's to be download and installed, but user beware.

why are you wary of the play store?

I'm wary of the play store because that "DCB_Association" message showed up in my message log and now I'm anticipating being charged for some product or service that that the play store has surreptitiously bestowed upon my blameless Android device.

Did this "free" app you say you downloaded from Google Play, have anything like IN-APP PURCHASES in its description, that's usually towards the top?

OMG, I just noticed that your avatar is a pit bull, yes? I have a pit bull, and I ran a pit bull rescue for over ten years. I've fostered dozens of pits in my home along with my other three dogs and my two cats. They are the BEST.

I didn't notice anything like that, and I've downloaded the same app on other devises. It's just a simple app for music that you've already purchased from Amazon.
Were the quotation marks enclosing the word "free" meant to be snarky?

I'd think so. Most app developers expect some return for their time, so "free" is rarely free. The payment may take the form of ads, or it may take other forms, from the legitimate (in-app purchases to unlock more useful features) to the less so (selling your personal information to spammers - the business model of several big Chinese developers, and the reason most of us will never install an app from a company with "Cheetah" in the name). So if there's funny business possibly associated with a free app it's fair to question how "free" it is.

That said, I've been using android for a decade without ever encountering DCB, so being wary of the Play Store is going too far. Being careful what you install is sensible, but that's true wherever you install from, and more important with most alternative sources of apps. As for locked down, at least you can choose to install apps from elsewhere, unlike the other main mobile OS.

Back on topic, do you know that it was this app responsible? You didn't use a phone to pay for car parking, accidentally subscribe to some ringtone service (that used to be a scam here in the UK), etc? Since it's direct carrier billing maybe you could contact them and see whether they can tell you what it is and who it is from (if there is a connection to the app there then you will know it was them)?

I believe that the payment Amazon anticipates is the increased likelihood that I will buy my digital music from Amazon. I wasn't giving you a hard time about the snark; I was just checking. I'm new to the Android environment, and I believe that snark opportunities are reasonable "pay" for free advice from generous, more experienced people such as yourself..

I haven't use the phone to pay for anything or to do anything other than to talk, text, check e-mail, TRY to download Firefox, and download this one Amazon app that I've successfully downloaded before with no problems and no charge. I haven't subscribed to anything, and I'm very careful about what I download on ANY devise. I am going to take your advice and call Verizon. Thanks for your help. If nothing else, it's good to know that I don't have to grab the defibrillator every time Google Play pops up on the screen.

Back
Top Bottom