• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Dead Triumph (was: Battery problem running CM7)

ecarlson

My Triumph died after fully discharging.

I don't know if it has anything to do with running CM7 TG-Reloaded 03-01.

The last time I checked the phone, it was somewhere under 20% remaining (I don't remember exactly, maybe even under 10%), and a couple hours later, I checked it, and it had no power (I assume the battery was drained). I plugged it into the original charger, and no charge light came on, and it still wouldn't power up. I tried another charger and cable, and also tried powering it from my computer, but nothing made a difference. I've removed the battery for a few hours and put it back, with no change.

I can feel the lower part of the phone getting warm when I leave the charger plugged in for a while (with the battery in), so power seems to be getting into the phone.

Anything else I should try?

Do I need to get a replacement phone?

I didn't have any major issues with my current Triumph (with CM7): for example, this phone doesn't seem to have any light leakage issue, and I could get GPS lock in under a minute with GPS Test (slow, but mostly useable).

One more thing you could try, if you haven't yet...
Pull battery, hold power button for several seconds to drain, then plug in and try to boot.

Bad battery maybe... maybe the phone itself just gave out

I'm charging the battery in an external charger to see if that works.

2 related Questions:

In order to switch my account back to my Optimus V, which also has CM7 on it, do I need to revert the Optimus V to stock so I can re-activate it, or will it switch without re-activating since it was previously activated on my account?

And then, will I be able to switch the account back to the dead Triumph, to get warranty support, or would I have to have the Triumph working to switch back?

Or, to put it another way, should I start the replacement process for the Triumph while the Triumph is still active on the account, and then switch to the Optimus V?

I think the phone is dead. I charged the battery externally, and it seems to take a charge.

So, per my above post, what process (sequence of events) should I follow to, with minimum hassle, get a replacement Triumph from VM and to temporarily switch my account back to my Optimus V?

Well, call customer service (the number is in the help section of their website). They will then tell you what you need to do to get the replacement and can help you get your OV going while you wait.

i recomend u do it driectly trough motorola. since virginmobile wont give u a new battery.

They said the battery takes a charge, so that isn't an issue.

Either option works though. But Motorola won't help you set up stuff for your OV and you will have to call VM anyway.

i recomend u do it driectly trough motorola. since virginmobile wont give u a new battery.

If it were a bad battery VM would give you a new battery. Just saying. motorola takes longer from what people have said too. Going through VM takes a couple days and you can get a new anything through them.

I called VM, and they are sending me a replacement Triumph. I also had them set up my old Optimus V on my account, so I have a cell phone to use while I wait for the replacement.

She said one odd thing: When setting up my Optimus V on my account, she said she is waiving the $15 fee ($10 via web) for swapping phones, but my understanding is that they only instituted a fee for changing phone numbers, and I thought there was no charge for swapping phones. I hope the rep was incorrect on that matter, and that my original understanding is correct (not that it matters for me at this moment, since they are waiving any alleged fees, but it is a future concern).

I called VM, and they are sending me a replacement Triumph. I also had them set up my old Optimus V on my account, so I have a cell phone to use while I wait for the replacement.

She said one odd thing: When setting up my Optimus V on my account, she said she is waiving the $15 fee ($10 via web) for swapping phones, but my understanding is that they only instituted a fee for changing phone numbers, and I thought there was no charge for swapping phones. I hope the rep was incorrect on that matter, and that my original understanding is correct (not that it matters for me at this moment, since they are waiving any alleged fees, but it is a future concern).

i just switched my moms account from an intercept to an optimus slider 2 days ago im sure she (The Rep) was mistaken.... they only charge to change your number

Interesting, I had the same issue about three months ago and did the same thing, got a replacement phone and used a different phone in the meantime. Maybe it's a CM7 issue?

Interesting, I had the same issue about three months ago and did the same thing, got a replacement phone and used a different phone in the meantime. Maybe it's a CM7 issue?

My MT never had problems with that and I had been running cm7 on it for months and months. So I doubt it.

I didn't hear anything about a fee when I got my replacement. They also said just send the bad phone back and keep the accessories for free...

How often do you let the battery drain down to the point where the phone shuts itself off? That seems to be when mine died.

Well very rarely. Maybe like 5 or 6 times total since I bought it (like 6 months ago). But that would make more sense if it were the actual battery dieing since li-ons don't like to be fully drained. It shouldn't affect the actual phone...

Just gonna throw my issue in here too, I seem to be having the same issues as OP. I recently upgraded from MIUI to the latest CM7 reloaded build (3/4 build I think). Plugged it in last night with maybe 13% battery left. When I woke up this morning my phone said it was at 0%, and the red charging light was still on. So I unplug my phone, and the thing is now dead, with the same symptoms as OP. Maybe there is an issue with the new build of CM7? Anyways, time to call up VM.

Back
Top Bottom