• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Desire Z won't boot

unicronius

Lurker
Jun 3, 2012
Hi,

I have a totally normal, unrooted/modified HTC Desire Z and it is currently having problems.

The problem started when it was updating and installing updates for my apps, halfway through installing an update(s) the phone just froze. I had to turn it off by removing the battery and since then it hasn't booted up.

When I turn the phone on all I get is a continuous cycle of the first HTC screen and then the Vodafone screen, it will not boot into the Android operating system (which I have no idea which version it is, the most recent I guess...). I have found a little 'behind the scenes' menu/recovery screen, whereby I hold down the power button and the volume down button, and I have tried the factory reset option but this doesn't fix it. If I try the recovery option from this menu I get displayed with a picture of a phone with a red warning sign next to it and it does nothing else.

I don't know much about these phones, never tried modding them in my life or anything like that. I have just used it as a phone and a fun tool basically so I am not very clued up on the technical side of things with these phones so please go easy on me! I am clued up on most aspects of computing (Windows based) so I am capable of fixing it with the correct instructions if possible... I just want my phone to work again as I can't upgrade until the 29th June 2012! :(

Slight update on the status of my poorly phone.

I tried holding down the volume up button and the power button together and the phone went from the HTC logo, to a black screen, then it vibrated 7 times. If I try turning the phone on now all I get is the HTC logo screen and nothing else, it just stays on that same screen forever... If I hold down the volume down button and the power button to get to that hidden menu, I cannot choose the factory reset option anymore, it just locks up as soon as I choose it. If I select the recovery option the phone displays a graphic of a phone with a 'sync/download' icon above it then it will go to a black screen and vibrate 7 times.

Any ideas? Sounds fecked to me...

Upvote 0
I am also having problems with an HTC desire. it starts up by vibrating and a white screen with HTC in green across it. then nothing. I've tried holding the volume down button and then pressing the power button but nothing happens. it doesn't even seem to want to turn off. please help but be very basic as I'm useless at this sort of stuff.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones