• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Developer One

got 64gb developer edition today, I originally got att version but decided to get developer one instead taking att one back today. I did notice the att screen is noticeably whiter which makes it seem brighter than the developer edition, any Idea why that might be. would never have noticed had I not had both of them to comare side-by-side.

Upvote 0
Ordered the dev edition (64GB) on the 6th. Store said it was "in stock". After 4 days of no shipping information I called (today) and was told they in fact do not have any in stock and the estimate for new stock is May 30th. So I canceled the order.
Let's Talk can't be good for HTC.

While let's talk is not at fault for the stock issue, it's their site that is 1. Reporting them in stock 2. Not providing email order confirmations 3. Not updating with accurate shipping info (the expected ship date simply increments by one day each day it doesn't ship). If after 3 days the charges are not credited I will call the bank and have them shove it up let's talks rear.

Upvote 0
Why does one need fast updates? (Regardless of what the update does)

^^^^^^^^^^^
+1 THIS.

It's open to debate, depending on the depth/scope of such, especially a jump to say ANDROID 4.0 > 4.1, which brought about PROJECT BUTTER.

For example,the MOTOROLA XYBOARD is a great tablet,but, sorely lacks ANDROID 4.1,being forever marooned on 4.0.4,which would have probably kept me from selling mine. As it is a full featured top-notch device, having a beautiful display/dual cameras/HD video/dual speakers/I-R BLASTER, etc...., it lacked the smoothness of ANDROID 4.1, a deal breaker, IMHO, once you've tried any device w/it.

However, for the most part, I agree w/your view on fast updates. Of course it's nice to get them in a timely manner, but, more often than not, there's more hype than substance surrounding most updates.

Upvote 0
^^^^^^^^^^^
+1 THIS.

It's open to debate, depending on the depth/scope of such, especially a jump to say ANDROID 4.0 > 4.1, which brought about PROJECT BUTTER.

For example,the MOTOROLA XYBOARD is a great tablet,but, sorely lacks ANDROID 4.1,being forever marooned on 4.0.4,which would have probably kept me from selling mine. As it is a full featured top-notch device, having a beautiful display/dual cameras/HD video/dual speakers/I-R BLASTER, etc...., it lacked the smoothness of ANDROID 4.1, a deal breaker, IMHO, once you've tried any device w/it.

However, for the most part, I agree w/your view on fast updates. Of course it's nice to get them in a timely manner, but, more often than not, there's more hype than substance surrounding most updates.

I would assume that the huge impetus behind users moving to Android in the first place is change, new things, originality, etc...so it's not surprising that they want devices that constantly evolve and improve.

That being said, can we assume that the device's limitations are hinging on UI alone? What I mean, is that obviously Jellybean 4.1 works well or whatever, but do we assume that a two year old device that 4.1 is not available for would work THAT much better with it? What maxes out first: the software or the hardware trying to run the software?

And then...at the end of the day there's the $$$ issue...if there's nothing new to buy, nobody's gonna wanna spend money.:D

Upvote 0
Seeing how the Stock Android HTC One is coming out soon I was wondering if anyone knows if the people with unlocked One's will be able to switch to the Stock version of Android, essentially, as if we just bought the Stock version? Without the use of a third party ROM?

Any information will be much appreciated! :D

Upvote 0
I have this HTC One from Sasktel but something happened to the software and I had to send the phone off to get it completely reprogrammed. Once i received my phone back from repairs, Sasktel told me the phone wasn't with Sasktel anymore for some reason. They don't even know who the new carrier is so I have no idea who to ask to help me get the 8 digit number to unlock my phone so i can put it back with Sasktel.

So is there anyway I can do a carrier check with the phone or anyway I can get the 8 digit unlock code?

Thanks

Upvote 0
ah i guess it could be a totally new phone. But i still need to know what carrier it is hooked up to so i can ask them for a network unlock code.

When I go to Settings-> about->network, is says operator name is unknown and mobile network is unknown. Signal strength is 0 and service state is out of service.

Does this mean the phone is actually not hooked up to any carrier and i have to resend it back to the programmers so they can hook it back up to Sasktel? Or does it only say unknown because the phone isn't activated yet since it's been "fixed".

Upvote 0
Yes, but switch it back to "stock" and lock it then boom, hello warranty.

I just read where they recently found a way to change the locked flag. Previously this wasn't possible, and as soon as you unlocked it you voided your warranty. Technology marches on. Doesn't look like I'll have a reason to buy a Developers Edition anymore, since it really doesn't offer any advantages now.

Upvote 0
Well I had purchased the phone from a person off Facebook who had won this phone from a Contest (From Futuretel service cenrte) and it was hooked up to Sasktel then.

Since the Sasktel SIM card gets a network locked, I am guessing Sasktel is not the carrier anymore. Or can they still be but can't find the code to unlock it since my phone is not in their systems now?

Can I just go around to the other Carriers such as Bell, Roger, telus, etc. and try out their SIM cards? Even if I do go to the right carrier without knowing and tried their SIM card out, would I still get a network locked or would it let me use the phone? Right now, I don't think my phone would be in their systems since it was set up in repairs by HTC instead of the carrier company.

And the phone was on prepaid.

Upvote 0
I don't know the answer to that, since according to Google Sasktel is CDMA based and we don't have those here. I thought CDMA handsets only used a SIM for 4G, so if it doesn't connect to anything then my guess is that it's not registered with any of the networks. But as I say, only a guess because that technology isn't used in Europe so I have no experience.

Maybe you need to phone HTC if they've not replied to email. If it's CDMA I'd think the network will need the MEID to register it (but they should have asked that, surely?). Or maybe Facebook guy can tell you the phone's history, if it was originally on a different network (the most obvious reason it would change when HTC repaired/replaced it)?

Upvote 0
Difference is that you will void your warranty. Not so with the Developers Edition :)
But as people have said, as long as I can get into fastboot the unlock can be reversed with no sign it was ever done.

Anyway, they only sell the dev edition in one territory, so it's a moot point for a lot of us. And the dev edition is still S-On, so I don't know whether it's warranty covers changing that (but as that's not something you can do through HTCDev I might guess not).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones