• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Did I just get Gingerbread?

twcowdery

May 18, 2011
I'm on Page Plus, not Verizon, so I really never expected to get the OTA Gingerbread update. Then yesterday, my phone downloaded a very large update that required an reboot. When it came back up, I could see that the color scheme on the status bar and menus had changed. I checked the About menu, and my System Version says 4.5.605 and Android version is 2.3.3.

Am I correct that I just upgraded to Gingerbread?

By the other threads, it appears that this isn't the original OTA update either. Am I correct in that assumption as well?

If so, has this version had the type of problems that the original OTA had?

One last question - is it possible to go back to the old status/menu color scheme? It isn't a deal breaker, but I preferred the color scheme in Froyo. Frankly, I'm puzzled why that is even a 'feature' of the various upgrades. Even the WinMo phones I had 10 years ago let me change the color of that sort of thing.

@Playful God - thanks for the confirmation. Any idea if the new version has had the problems the original version had? Am I stuck with the status bar and menu colors?

OP, short of gaining root access, yes you're stuck
+1 unless you root it so you can install custom themes etc you're stuck.

Reactions: twcowdery
Upvote 0
Thanks for the info. The color scheme itself isn't awful, it just doesn't look good with my wall paper. I hope some future version of Android lets us do themes.

In general, I like Android better than any of WinMo OS's I had on my last four phones, but the lack of themes is one of a few areas where WinMo was better. I'm sure Android will fix those shortcomings eventually.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the info. The color scheme itself isn't awful, it just doesn't look good with my wall paper. I hope some future version of Android lets us do themes.

In general, I like Android better than any of WinMo OS's I had on my last four phones, but the lack of themes is one of a few areas where WinMo was better. I'm sure Android will fix those shortcomings eventually.
oh android has, your carrier hasnt ;)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones