• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Different gen phones?

djthebogan

I keep reading on here that some of the optimus v phones are different. Some of the new ones can't run certain roms or have issues. How do you know what generation phone you have? Is there a way to tell? What exactly are the differences?

use adb:
Code:
adb shell dmesg | grep hitachi
adb shell dmesg | grep novatek
or terminal emulator:
Code:
dmesg | grep hitachi
dmesg | grep novatek
if you get output with the novatek line, you have an old (first-gen) OV.
if you get output with the hitachi line, you have a new (2nd-gen) OV.

the newer ones just have a different screen (and froyo 2.2.2 instead of 2.2.1, plus zv5 radio baseband instead of zv4.)
froyo 2.2.2 OV's need gingerbreak to root. superoneclick and z4root won't cut it.
the hitachi screens won't work with certain roms because the kernel built into the rom doesn't have the hitachi screen drivers enabled. The current releases of IHO roms have a kernel with the drivers enabled. Harmonia has a new version in the works which will support the newer screens, but it's not done yet.
you can flash an anykernel.zip with a compatible kernel over any rom regardless of screen type, but the only kernel currently out which will work with harmonia, bumblebee, stock, or other froyo rom and still support the new screen is xionia 13 or 14 (or drew_walton's xionia redux.)
the old xionia 13/14 kernels work for lots of people but disable the usb storage for some users. I don't think xionia redux has that problem, but like the other xionia kernels with hitachi screens enabled, it's an optimus S kernel and has some little differences inside, the most obvious of which is that it will reverse your home and menu buttons.
xionia kernels also work on gingerbread roms like iho, but aren't supported for the OV.
The BobZhome kernels used in current IHO releases are fully compatible with both generations of the OV.
Recoveries? Only xionia recovery works out-of-the-box on the 2nd gen OV's.
for a collections of different recoveries patched with xionia kernels for the new OV, see here:
[FIX]Black screen with custom recovery and custom roms - Android Forums
but bear in mind that those xionia kernels may prevent your usb storage from working in recovery.
Edit:
correction:
I've gotten an IHO-based recovery from one of the builders of IHO roms (BobZhome) to post in that thread. So, there will shortly be a recovery with a non-Xionia kernel posted in that blackscreen fix thread (once I get it uploaded and linked.)

thanks for all the info. I guess i have a 1st gen OV. Of the 2, is either one better or have advantages over the other?

thanks for all the info. I guess i have a 1st gen OV. Of the 2, is either one better or have advantages over the other?

my opinion, 1st gen better.
screen on my new one looks green by comparison.
if you have zv4 baseband then you have another advantage over newer ov's...
fastboot doesn't work on my zv5 baseband, but did on my zv4. I miss it a lot.

I'm trying to check my screen generation using adb and I'm getting this output:

C:\android\platform-tools>adb shell dmesg | grep hitachi
'grep' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\android\platform-tools>adb shell dmesg | grep novatek
'grep' is not recognized as an internal or external command,

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

looks like either busybox isn't installed or isn't configured right.
if it is installed but hasn't had symlinks set, try

adb shell dmesg | busybox grep hitachi

if you get an error about busybox, it needs installed.
if you get no output, you have a 1st gen ov.

looks like either busybox isn't installed or isn't configured right.
if it is installed but hasn't had symlinks set, try

adb shell dmesg | busybox grep hitachi

if you get an error about busybox, it needs installed.
if you get no output, you have a 1st gen ov.

I got this error:

C:\android\platform-tools>adb shell dmesg | busybox grep hitachi
'busybox' is not recognized as an internal or external command,

so I installed busybox on my phone through the market, rebooted and it still gave me the error. Am I supposed to install busybox using this?:

Busybox - nookDevs

Alright, I think it worked. hitachi returns:
$ dmesg | grep hitachi
dmesg | grep hitachi

novatek returns:
$ dmesg | grep novatek
dmesg | grep novatek
<4>[ 1.728466] mddi_novatek_lcd_probe: started.
<4>[ 1.728563] mddi_novatek_lcd_init: setting up panel info.
<4>[ 1.728810] mddi_novatek_lcd_probe: started.
<4>[ 1.761314] mddi_novatek_lcd_on: started.
<4>[ 2.721338] mddi_novatek_vsync_set_handler : handler = c01b9cec
<4>[ 137.051381] mddi_novatek_lcd_panel_poweroff: started.

So this means I have the novatek screen, correct?

Yes, you do! From everything I've read, the older Novatek V's are better phones. Consider yourself fortunate. You have a much lower chance of bricking your phone. Also, I think the older V's (like yours and mine) have better processors. From discussions around here, it seems the older ones are stable at higher speeds. Of course, YMMV.

This is a great thread. I was wondering how I could find out the screen type and now I know. Also I recently rooted two new phones and installed the VM670NH recovery + IHO-MiRaGe rom on them. They are running great overclocked to 806MHz.

Hello.
I am totally new. The Optimus V is my first smart phone.

I'm having trouble with my phone, which I'll probably make a post about shortly. In the meantime, I downloaded the Android Terminal Emulator app to run the above command to see which version my phone is.

I get this response for both commands:

grep: permission denied
write: Broken pipe

Help?

Okay. That makes sense. I don't want to do anything drastic at this point. I'm still in the return window, and since my phone locks up way too often for being less than a week old, returning it is definitely an option. I was hoping that I could exchange it for another V, although if the newer models are all crappy, I might do a straight return.

Try pulling battery and holding power button for 30sec. Then re-install battery and power up.
If that doesn't help go to menu/settings/privacy/select the factory reset option. You will lose all data and apps that you installed, so you might want to back up everything that you can on your PC.
After it is complete your paid apps will be in the market under "my apps". Your contacts will be downloaded once you open up the market app and sign in to your Google account.

use adb:
Code:
adb shell dmesg | grep hitachi
adb shell dmesg | grep novatek
or terminal emulator:
Code:
dmesg | grep hitachi
dmesg | grep novatek
if you get output with the novatek line, you have an old (first-gen) OV.
if you get output with the hitachi line, you have a new (2nd-gen) OV.

the newer ones just have a different screen (and froyo 2.2.2 instead of 2.2.1, plus zv5 radio baseband instead of zv4.)
froyo 2.2.2 OV's need gingerbreak to root. superoneclick and z4root won't cut it.
the hitachi screens won't work with certain roms because the kernel built into the rom doesn't have the hitachi screen drivers enabled. The current releases of IHO roms have a kernel with the drivers enabled. Harmonia has a new version in the works which will support the newer screens, but it's not done yet.
you can flash an anykernel.zip with a compatible kernel over any rom regardless of screen type, but the only kernel currently out which will work with harmonia, bumblebee, stock, or other froyo rom and still support the new screen is xionia 13 or 14 (or drew_walton's xionia redux.)
the old xionia 13/14 kernels work for lots of people but disable the usb storage for some users. I don't think xionia redux has that problem, but like the other xionia kernels with hitachi screens enabled, it's an optimus S kernel and has some little differences inside, the most obvious of which is that it will reverse your home and menu buttons.
xionia kernels also work on gingerbread roms like iho, but aren't supported for the OV.
The BobZhome kernels used in current IHO releases are fully compatible with both generations of the OV.
Recoveries? Only xionia recovery works out-of-the-box on the 2nd gen OV's.
for a collections of different recoveries patched with xionia kernels for the new OV, see here:
[FIX]Black screen with custom recovery and custom roms - Android Forums
but bear in mind that those xionia kernels may prevent your usb storage from working in recovery.
Edit:
correction:
I've gotten an IHO-based recovery from one of the builders of IHO roms (BobZhome) to post in that thread. So, there will shortly be a recovery with a non-Xionia kernel posted in that blackscreen fix thread (once I get it uploaded and linked.)

This is a stupid question but need to know . ok i have 2.2.2 on my optimus V. i rooted with gingerbreak1.2 . thats all i did . i have no recovery options to backup my system like i did with Amons recovery on my old Eris . So . back to the command dmesg line grep novetek ,,,what and how do i type this command in my terminal emulator on the phone . i have terminal emulator installed but do not understand how to input this command . do i find that straight line symbol and put it between dmesg and grep or what?
sorry but this is real new to me even thought i am a retired cell phone teck;)

Al

well i tried the "commands" both ways with and with out the line .
first i typed su
then dmesg grep hitachi . it gave a zillion words on the output ...
same things with dmesg grep novatek.. :(

then i found that line symbol with the alt keys and i get
grep :not found
write :broken pipe

wth am i doing ? i want to downgrade to 2.2.1 because i have NO data on this phone since i activated it two days ago . i had another one with 2.2.1 and it works great and has data . help please . i am too old to study and search till i go blind just to find out how to enter this command .

I had the same problem. Here is my understanding of the problem: the android build on the phone does not include linux functions like grep. Solution: download busybox on android market. Busybox will include functions like grep and the command will run successfully.

FYI That "line" function is referred to as a "pipe" in linux. Its function is to output data from one function to another.

I had the same problem. Here is my understanding of the problem: the android build on the phone does not include linux functions like grep. Solution: download busybox on android market. Busybox will include functions like grep and the command will run successfully.

FYI That "line" function is referred to as a "pipe" in linux. Its function is to output data from one function to another.

Thank you .. But.. i already have the latest busybox installed including the updated su binaries .. at least i think i do from titanium backup pro before i tried . i guess ill hunt another busybox and see if i can get my answer to what screen i have ? Also thank you for the "line"definition only thing is how do i type it on a pc;)

Ok i did download a "true"copy of busybox from the market and soo . My Lg optimus v with 2.2.2 does have the old novatek drivers . so now i am going to search for a downgrade guide and something to use to flash it like the Amons ra i am used to on the eris. scared of these optimus's as nothing is definitive as the htc eris :)

No. What you need is a CM7 build, its way better then the stock build it does all kinds of stuff like the latest bug fixes, overclocking, wifi hotspot, flash, its really slick. Just make sure you have a good backup before you flash.

No, you have the Hitachi screen. If you're having issues with 3G, use the active app before you flash a custom Rom. Try it a few times, it solves 85% of the 3G problems with the OV.

No, you have the Hitachi screen. If you're having issues with 3G, use the active app before you flash a custom Rom. Try it a few times, it solves 85% of the 3G problems with the OV.
?
Well NO i don't... it says mddi_novatek_lcd_on: started ..
mddi_novatec_lcd_panel_poweron :started ..
so this indicates i have a novetek optimus V with 2.2.2

and i have no idea what you are talking about "active app" ? I tried every known trick and no data whatsoever . including a trouble ticket after 6 calls to teck support . It's an ebay phone . calls and text work perfect . I also bought another one at the same time .. it has 2.2.1 on it and activated with data perfectly first time and never seen the data drop on it.

Back
Top Bottom