• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Different gen phones?

No. What you need is a CM7 build, its way better then the stock build it does all kinds of stuff like the latest bug fixes, overclocking, wifi hotspot, flash, its really slick. Just make sure you have a good backup before you flash.

right except i can't get beyond oneclick root with gingerbreak1.2 . i still have the stock recovery after that so i cant flash roms :( this is where i am stuck) . I have tried the all in one recovery instruction but they did not work . I want to downgrade to 2.2.1 and get this data working first .. stock with root and a nice recovery like Amons_ ra . Then i will burn Cm7.

All you have to do to activate the phone is flash/install either the Harmonious Bumblebee or Harmonia ROM. They work on any screen version. Select the activate app( you might have to select it several times until you see the 3G arrows working)

I didn't know any OV's with Novatek screens shipped with 2.2.2. If you're still stock, you will have the activate app. That's what you need.

Don't bet on it. I also have a V shipped with 2.2.2 and a novatek screen. I had to send my old one in for a replacement. I'm pretty sure its a refurb, one of the older models with 2.2.2 installed to prevent tethering.

When 2.2.2 was first installed (at the request of VM because of the WiFi hotspot and boot loader) LG were still using the Novatek screen. Not to long after going with the new firmware LG decided to use the Hitachi screen and drivers (Probably in an attempt to meet the cost requirements by VM).

well tried to "flash" but i have no Flash on my phone because i have no fastboot . only option in stock recovery is flash update.zip . thats it . it didnt work . Got on the phone with a tier three tech and went thru 20 mins of resetting etc... and he decided to send me a new phone overnight because he couldn't get data either .. the activate is on every VM phone . it did not work as it need data to work ,just went thru 123 no service call bla bla bla. the other one i have worked great and activate app worked first time . so waiting for a new phone .. i unrooted it and she is ready to go . thing is i only paid 35 dollars for it:) still under warranty he said .

BTW if you all ever have a problem and don't want to call the virgin mobile number i have the direct line to VM tech support level 3:)

If you need it Pm me with a thank you

When 2.2.2 was first installed (at the request of VM because of the WiFi hotspot and boot loader) LG were still using the Novatek screen. Not to long after going with the new firmware LG decided to use the Hitachi screen and drivers (Probably in an attempt to meet the cost requirements by VM).
Yes that is the problem with that 2.2.2 .. the boot loader is missing fastboot so i cant see how you can get a recovery on them .

Does anyone know what the ESN on novatek vs the hitachi ESN?

Clarification: it looks like the ESN is in this format: [removed]
I am trying to narrow down when the Novateks stopped and Hitachi went into production by the ESN numbers. I understand we won't be able to know exactly but just a general range as I am pretty sure the manufacturer issues ESN numbers sequentially. For instance I just bought a hitachi from best buy and the ESN was
[removed], it was the lowest numbered ESN they had and was way in back of the shelf and dusty.

Maybe you guys that bought the last novateks near august could post your partial ESN until we see a pattern.

Mine is one year old, just now. The warranty, however, has been null and void for eleven months. I got it the first week it was out. I don't think my number would be helpful. If you think you need it, just let me know, just in case.

Does anyone know what the ESN on novatek vs the hitachi ESN?

Clarification: it looks like the ESN is in this format: [removed]
I am trying to narrow down when the Novateks stopped and Hitachi went into production by the ESN numbers. I understand we won't be able to know exactly but just a general range as I am pretty sure the manufacturer issues ESN numbers sequentially. For instance I just bought a hitachi from best buy and the ESN was
[removed]it was the lowest numbered ESN they had and was way in back of the shelf and dusty.

Maybe you guys that bought the last novateks near august could post your partial ESN until we see a pattern.

Don't know if this helps but the phone that came with 2.2.2 with the old novatek drivers and screen was [removed]
and the 2.2.1 optimus v with novatek is the exact same [removed]

HOPE THAT HELPS .but ANYONE OF THOSE PHONE WITH THE 2.2.2 STOPS TETHERING AND REMOVES FAST BOOT REGARDLESS OF SCREEN I AM PRETTY SURE AFTER FIGHTING A LOSING BATTLE ON MY OLD v WITH 2.2.2. I DID GET IT ROOTED BUT THATS IT NO RECOVERY AND AFTER ALL THE READING I THINK VERY FEW DID .Hi . your guide is missing information for my phone . You see there are three types of LG optimus V's one has 2.2.1 and is novatek another has 2.2.2 with novatek and the third is 2.2.2 with the hatachi .. i do not see the second version .. the old phone with the stock 2.2.2(novatec) . could yo please be the first to distinguish the three versions rather than two . VERSION 2.2.2 IS A SHOW STOPPER ON THESE PHONES FOR THE NOVICE HACKER .AND I HAVE FLASHED A MANY PHONE AS I AM A RETIRED fCC QUALIFIED CELL PHONE TECH. HECK I RAN A HTC VOGUE WINDOWS PHONE ON FLASHED ANDROID FROYO FOR 3 YEARS . JUST GOT RID OF LAST MONTH .

I really don't think giving out any part of a members ESN is a good idea at this time. I have sought out clarification on this matter and will get back to you when I know more. The ESN is a devices unique identification. It is used to prevent fraud. I just can't see how giving out the ESN can be justified, that is why I have asked for clarification on this subject.

Thank you for your understanding on this matter.
AndyOpie150

highhacker, you might be over thinking the rooting and recovery just a bit. The Gingerbreak.apk works great to root the 2.2.2. The terminal emulator works great to install the custom flash_image to the /system/bin and change the permissions to 6755 and to flash the VM670NH_recovery.img. You can install Busybox with a Busybox installer from the market unless you want to push it with shell commands through ADB: best place to put the binaries is in the /system/xbin.

You might try reading the "All Things Root Guide". There is all kinds of useful info in there.

You guys(mods) need to relax. If the ESN was ultra secret then the manufacturer would not put it on the outside of the box. Also I did not ask for a full ESN. Meaning I am trying to find out if the Hitachi version starts out at A0000019***** or some other number. There is no way posting that info(two digits from your esn) is going to compromise your account. Anyways I just got a used phone from june coming on the way and I'll find out what the ESN is of that one is. I'm thinking it should be near the end of the novatek since it was bought in july.

Some of you might ask why do I care... because the novatek has a better CPU and higher quality components. I talked to one guy that claims he had the CPU running stable at 876mhz. That is impressive. I currently have a hitachi one and its almost stable at 729mhz, but for another 150mhz for free... I'll track down a novatek.

I'm pretty sure you don't have any bad intentions. The problem is that the members ESN's will be posted for everybody in the world to see, even those whose intentions are not as good as yourself.

I don't think the screen has anything to do with the ability of the processor to overclock. I have had three the novatek screen, my old one, my wife's, and my new one. The first two had 2.2.1, the third one has 2.2.2. Phone #1 was only stable to 748, phone #2 was stable to 825, phone #3 is stable at 806.

You guys(mods) need to relax. If the ESN was ultra secret then the manufacturer would not put it on the outside of the box. Also I did not ask for a full ESN. Meaning I am trying to find out if the Hitachi version starts out at A0000019***** or some other number. There is no way posting that info(two digits from your esn) is going to compromise your account. Anyways I just got a used phone from june coming on the way and I'll find out what the ESN is of that one is. I'm thinking it should be near the end of the novatek since it was bought in july.

Some of you might ask why do I care... because the novatek has a better CPU and higher quality components. I talked to one guy that claims he had the CPU running stable at 876mhz. That is impressive. I currently have a hitachi one and its almost stable at 729mhz, but for another 150mhz for free... I'll track down a novatek.

Leaving out the last several digits is fine IMO, the problem is there's always a few people who will post the whole thing or feel that leaving out the last 1 or 2 digits is acceptable security and that's what we want to avoid. Never underestimate the ability of some people to post the worst possible things in the open in a forum, like passwords, phone numbers, ssn#, etc. I know the providers print esn#'s on the box, but that's their doing and problem. We try our best here to prevent our users from getting hurt, even if some seem bent on personal destruction.

If you're using Windows, you can use findstr in the command prompt to filter the output from the adb command. The /i flag makes the search ignore case. As in most DOS commands you can use the /? flag to get info on how to use findstr.

Code:
adb shell dmesg | findstr /i hitachi
adb shell dmesg | findstr /i novatek

My gen 1 that I got May of 2011 - stable at 864. No temp issues either. knock on wood.

Picked up three at Target when they had their Black Friday sale - Each for $45.00 after a little discount.

Got a two gen 1s and a gen 2 for my son and backups.

O/C'd his gen 1 to 864, but wasn't stable reset to 825..working like a charm.

use adb:
Code:
adb shell dmesg | grep hitachi
adb shell dmesg | grep novatek
or terminal emulator:
Code:
dmesg | grep hitachi
dmesg | grep novatek
if you get output with the novatek line, you have an old (first-gen) OV.
if you get output with the hitachi line, you have a new (2nd-gen) OV.

Um, so, what does that mean in layperson terms? What is adb and how do I use it in the way you suggest?
Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom