• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root (disregard previous thread) com.android.phone force closing??

All i can tell you is this: a metropcs clerk handed me a print-out from the metrpcs tech department. it stated CLEARLY: #1 - that the store people are to hook-up the cell to the ?cellbrite? machine #2 - naviagate to the lg esteem location #3 - push out the VV5 version of the Esteem ROM to the Connect now, YOU go argue with them. i am merely reporting what i HAD IN MY HAND and READ. and i am a pc tech for 28+ yrs...i am NOT some 'noob'. the reason i even had it was because the dumb clerk said we could do this from home, till i read the directions and i told him that this cannot be done from home and he took it back. second thing, if it WORKS...WHY did i READ the ACTUAL email from the atlanta customer service dept stating that they have NO CLUE on how to fix this??? AND they authorize phone swap-outs???? say what you want...my Connect and about 15 other people's did not work either, and some of them DID have the vv5, they were getting put on while i was THERE...after that, we ALL got NEW phones (another model). there maybe TWO vv5's...metropcs is pushing out the ESTEEM rom...in hopes that it will work, and that is dangerous, as they are NOT the same.... all i know is the esteem vv5 being pushed out (at least 2 weeks ago) by metropcs does not work and i have a BRAND NEW phone now.... ;)

^^^ This just confirms that profound, fluid stupidity is not limited to just the corporate store level :D:D ANYWAY....

zandersig might be on to something here; try using VV4/VV5 phone firmware to see if that will work. Herein lies the problem, Peter:

I'm far from an android expert. I don't believe that taking the phone.apk from VV5 and simply dumping it in VV3 system is going to do anything. What I need to know is, maybe a little bit of help here, what (if anything) else needs to be replaced? Does the com.android.phone represent a process of the phone.apk, or is that something else entirely? Do we need to have matching baseband files (VV3/4/5 have different BB!!), modem files etc?

Also, my Connect has NO service. I couldn't even test to see if switching files fixes the error since I can only get a signal db reading, I show no 1x, 3G, 4G because it's decommissioned. So, of course testers would be required.

So if anybody with better system knowledge wants to chime in here, feel free. I'm not going to try this until then. I need money, and this Connect I have is still worth a few bucks so I'm not going to risk bricking it without knowing what I'm getting into LOL...
 
If you can't get to the phone app, etc in vv5 maybe it can be pulled from zva and put in vv3, I don't get any errors on zva or vv5.

Can the phone app and 4G software be brought from either zva or vv5 and dumped into vv3?

I will test it on my phone cause I don't give a shit anymore I just want vv3 or vv5 working on my connect (rooted of course), if I can't have that this phone will be bricked, sold or smashed with a sledgehammer! If someone can get it to work they will get money from me!

If I end up having to run zva for another 4 weeks I'm stopping my service with mpcs and selling this phone and get a N4! :-)
 
All i can tell you is this: a metropcs clerk handed me a print-out from the metrpcs tech department. it stated CLEARLY: #1 - that the store people are to hook-up the cell to the ?cellbrite? machine #2 - naviagate to the lg esteem location #3 - push out the VV5 version of the Esteem ROM to the Connect now, YOU go argue with them. i am merely reporting what i HAD IN MY HAND and READ. and i am a pc tech for 28+ yrs...i am NOT some 'noob'. the reason i even had it was because the dumb clerk said we could do this from home, till i read the directions and i told him that this cannot be done from home and he took it back. second thing, if it WORKS...WHY did i READ the ACTUAL email from the atlanta customer service dept stating that they have NO CLUE on how to fix this??? AND they authorize phone swap-outs???? say what you want...my Connect and about 15 other people's did not work either, and some of them DID have the vv5, they were getting put on while i was THERE...after that, we ALL got NEW phones (another model). there maybe TWO vv5's...metropcs is pushing out the ESTEEM rom...in hopes that it will work, and that is dangerous, as they are NOT the same.... all i know is the esteem vv5 being pushed out (at least 2 weeks ago) by metropcs does not work and i have a BRAND NEW phone now.... ;)

Well, as I said before, metropcs employees never know anything.

Once upon a time, there was a ROM, not stock firmware, that was able to run on the Esteem and Connect. It was originally made for one of the phones (I don't rember which one), and someome from the other phone flashed it either cause he was a noob or something. After a while, the phones that were running fine that the ROM was not intended for started to brick. Either a Connect customer showed MetroPCS they were running an Esteem ROM or vice versa.

I never heard a MetroPCS employee/public announcement talk of ROMs, they will usually say firmware even in emails. If they did actually say ROM then I think they are actually talking about an Esteem ROM being flashed (possibly over VV5). If they are actually flashing ROMs they must be getting desperate to try to get the phones to work :rolleyes:
You should be able to flash a ROM fine with a jtag or if they have a special machine even if not rooted.

Can you send me that e-mail via PM? Or just post it here?
 
I can probably pull the files with no problem, but I need to know which ones TO pull.

If I had to guess I would say copy "Phone.apk" & the odex file from /system/app from vv5 and copy the folder "com.android.phone" from data/data from vv5 (it has like 4 or 5 folders in it). Then put them in vv3 overwriting the old ones, then either make a kdz file of everything or make a .cab file and I will then install it on my phone and pray that it works. What do you think about that?
 
If I had to guess I would say copy "Phone.apk" & the odex file from /system/app from vv5 and copy the folder "com.android.phone" from data/data from vv5 (it has like 4 or 5 folders in it). Then put them in vv3 overwriting the old ones, then either make a kdz file of everything or make a .cab file and I will then install it on my phone and pray that it works. What do you think about that?

tried and no luck just rapid force closeing
 
tried and no luck just rapid force closeing

Thanks for doing that man! We are missing something (app or something) or it's the baseband file in vv5 that makes 4G work on vv5.... Well that was the only idea I had.

Man I wish PG would get CM10 finished for our phone,
I bet that would fix everything! 😢cry:
 
Back
Top Bottom