• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Do we need HTC Syn installed to do the HTC Unlock?

While Sync will (typically) install the diagnostic drivers, it also blocks their use. What people do is install Sync for the drivers, then uninstall Sync, leaving the drivers.
My understanding is that HTC Sync installs the standard drivers and the diagnostic driver is separate from that. The standard drivers allow ADB and fastboot access to the phone but don't support the interface required by QPST and CDMA workshop. There is a procedure in this post to install the diagnostic driver after Windows installs the ones that are included in standard configuration.

I just checked the zip file for the diagnostic driver and it only contains the USB modem driver (HtcUsbMdmV64.sys for the 64 bit version) that doesn't appear in the list of files for the normal drivers, and I think that driver supports the interface for QPST and CDMA workshop.

Unless the diagnostic driver is hidden by HTC Sync in some way, I believe that it still needs to be installed to run the QPST and/or CDMA Workshop programs even if the standard drivers were installed as part of HTC Sync.

Perhaps by "diagnostic" you meant the drivers required for the ADB and fastboot interfaces used by HTC unlock and the JuopunutBear wire trick?

ramjet73

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones