• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Does anyone else find it sad how...

Not all that surprising, the closed nature of iPhones allows apple to control what runs on the platforms (although how well it runs and what features will be missing will be an issue I imagine)

As for the S3 it's touchwiz imposing the limitations really, kitkat (SlimKat) runs a dream on mine (and my phone will never see an official KitKat release as it's the international version)

Not all that surprising, the closed nature of iPhones allows apple to control what runs on the platforms (although how well it runs and what features will be missing will be an issue I imagine)

As for the S3 it's touchwiz imposing the limitations really, kitkat (SlimKat) runs a dream on mine (and my phone will never see an official KitKat release as it's the international version)

I wish Samsung learned how to optimize Touchwiz properly, it's a shame really, I like the features and hardware, just hate the lag and speed.

At least it got iOS 7...

But if it's a backward step on that device it's not an advantage. My daughter is deliberately still running iOS6 on her iPhone 4G (and will probably move to Android when she next upgrades).

Apple provide updates, but usually with features disabled (they always say due to hardware limits, but people make some of them work fine on jailbroken devices). And I'd certainly say not to be the first to update, because it's quite common for early releases of a new iOS version to perform very poorly on older hardware.

The S3's had 2 years of updates, which isn't bad really. And remember how many phones Samsung release each year, each of which needs its own builds of any updates, and some of which have lot more hardware differences than different years' IPhones (different S3 variants had totally different chipsets, for example).

But if it's a backward step on that device it's not an advantage. My daughter is deliberately still running iOS6 on her iPhone 4G (and will probably move to Android when she next upgrades).

Apple provide updates, but usually with features disabled (they always say due to hardware limits, but people make some of them work fine on jailbroken devices). And I'd certainly say not to be the first to update, because it's quite common for early releases of a new iOS version to perform very poorly on older hardware.

The S3's had 2 years of updates, which isn't bad really. And remember how many phones Samsung release each year, each of which needs its own builds of any updates, and some of which have lot more hardware differences than different years' IPhones (different S3 variants had totally different chipsets, for example).

Why do they make so many different tablets and phones every year? Never been a problem for Apple to have so little...

Different strategies. Apple concentrate on one part of the market (high end), essentially only make flagship devices (using a reduced storage version of an older device as the "budget" model), and ignoring the low margin end of the market altogether. Samsung just try to saturate every possible sector of the market with multiple devices.

Different strategies. Apple concentrate on one part of the market (high end), essentially only make flagship devices (using a reduced storage version of an older device as the "budget" model), and ignoring the low margin end of the market altogether. Samsung just try to saturate every possible sector of the market with multiple devices.

Yeah, by doing that they forget about their older flagships...

There aren't many manufacturers who give longer support though. But it would be more effort for Samsung to support everything they make for that long.

Most people here in the US are on a two year cycle for phones.

People move on, and upgrading takes the same amount of manpower to benefit fewer and fewer customers still on the old device.

Keep in mind each manufacturer wants you to buy the new flagship. They do this not only by having better hardware, but also on the software side. Example: Apple left siri out of ios6 for the iPhone 4.

Its a balance between selling phones now, and keeping current customers happy so they buy your phone when they're ready for the next one.

After all - They are a business.

I think 2 years of support is plenty.

Also rooting and putting a custom rom on is a great way to keep a phone up to date with features you wouldn't even see in an official release (obviously this isn't for everyone)

I had the iPhone 3G and iOS 4.2.1 (I think) pretty much killed it. New official software on an old device isn't always great. The S3 has had more than it's fair share of issues with recent updates.

Yeah I think 2 years is fair.
Think of it this way, you buy a phone as it is, software and all. Any official update is a bonus :thumbup:

Yeah, by doing that they forget about their older flagships...

This is common in the game industry now to. Sometimes dedicated fans make mods and unofficial patches. This fix issues, add features and keep the game going. The same applies to android thankfully.

I personally couldn't give a crap as I hate all Apple products! Give me a Samsung any day christ I'd even have a Nokia! There so annoying the way there not compatible with any other make of phone. I couldn't even Bluetooth a picture to my mate who had one. The thing I hate the most is trying to put music on them! Basically if you don't have a pc your screwed as you need itunes to transfer music on to it. Give me drag and drop any day. All in all I think they suck big time!

Most people here in the US are on a two year cycle for phones.

People move on, and upgrading takes the same amount of manpower to benefit fewer and fewer customers still on the old device.

Keep in mind each manufacturer wants you to buy the new flagship. They do this not only by having better hardware, but also on the software side. Example: Apple left siri out of ios6 for the iPhone 4.

Its a balance between selling phones now, and keeping current customers happy so they buy your phone when they're ready for the next one.

After all - They are a business.

I think 2 years of support is plenty.
I don't! My Dell computer is about 5 years old: a little slow but workable. No reason why a $600 phone shouldn't do the same.

JM

Also rooting and putting a custom rom on is a great way to keep a phone up to date with features you wouldn't even see in an official release (obviously this isn't for everyone)

I had the iPhone 3G and iOS 4.2.1 (I think) pretty much killed it. New official software on an old device isn't always great. The S3 has had more than it's fair share of issues with recent updates.

At the very least they could have updated it with the galaxy S5 UI and some features like the ultra power saving mode or even air gestures...

Yeah I think 2 years is fair.
Think of it this way, you buy a phone as it is, software and all. Any official update is a bonus :thumbup:

Yeah, but nexus devices always get updates...

At the very least they could have updated it with the galaxy S5 UI and some features like the ultra power saving mode or even air gestures...

The S3 doesn't have the hardware for air gestures as far as I know and Nexus devices don't always get updates, the Galaxy Nexus never officially got KitKat either.

Nexus devices only get about 2 years of support as well, they just get the updates first.

Nexus One never got 4.0
Nexus S never got 4.2
Galaxy Nexus never got 4.4 (Verizon version didn't even get 4.3)

The 2012 Nexus 7 has hit its two year mark, so we'll have to see if it gets Android L or not. Nexus 4 and Nexus 10 are still within 2 years, so they'll likely get it depending on when it's released.

I don't! My Dell computer is about 5 years old: a little slow but workable. No reason why a $600 phone shouldn't do the same.

JM

True that it gets security updates, but if you want an OS update (like windows 7 to windows 8) it aren't free and thus have to be purchased. So this begs the question, would you be willing to pay for longer support?

2 years is fair considering the pace of technology upgrades. The TW Kitkat upgrade was nice to see, but for me it mainly served as a base for devs to use to create cool custom roms.

Won't get that base for Android L. But, I am sure that there will still be custom roms sporting most of the L goodness anyway.

And let's face it, at some point I will not be able to resist getting some newer hardware anyway. Just got to save up.

I paid $400 for my SPH-L710 S3. The hardware is still good especially since I don't play games and no need for Triband antennas with Boost in my area. Might be a while before I can afford to spend that much again. Plus, I doubt it will be with Boost or Samsung either.

Just bought a lifeproof case to protect my obsolete investment. Lol.

While Apple extends updates to older devices like the iPad 2 and 4S the Android community can equally extend development for devices too. I know rooting isn't for everyone but it *can* allow a person to reverse updates and such. For example: when my wife and I had our S3's hers wasn't rooted and mine was. The 4.3 update to her device wasn't the best and from what I could see it reduced battery life. Mine was rooted so I was already on a 4.4 ROM and enjoyed better battery life. Rooting allowed me to even go back to 4.1.1 etc if I wanted to avoid any OTA updates. When I had my iPhone I would get those small patch updates that would make my battery take a hit and I couldn't reverse it. I couldn't revert back. My overall point is that while updates sound good they may not always be welcomed. Just my two cents..

I'm sure iOS 8 is gonna be horrible on the 4S, though.

I remember putting iOS 7 on my old iPhone 4 and regretting the moment I ever came up with the bright idea.

I agree there. I remember repairing a cracked screen iPhone 4 when iOS 7 came out. I thought oh cool I'll go update this before I sell it. Bad move on my part! It was slow and laggy :( I still sold it anyway. The 4S is still decent but I'm sure iOS 8 may unfortunately kill it yes :/
I'd rather stick with even an older device like the S3 vs any Apple device--at least this community is still fairly active in developing for it :)

So here is my 2 cents Apple has basically a couple products to update the iphone and ipad both pos imo anyways theyre are a vast array of android devices with all kinds of hardware differences meaning that all updates might not be compatible or able to run updated os. So like many of the posters here i agree for the s3 2 years of updates is pretty good. Also you can always install a custom os that is generally better than the official firmware releases with better support from developers and community!!!

Nexus devices only get about 2 years of support as well, they just get the updates first.

Nexus One never got 4.0
Nexus S never got 4.2
Galaxy Nexus never got 4.4 (Verizon version didn't even get 4.3)

The 2012 Nexus 7 has hit its two year mark, so we'll have to see if it gets Android L or not. Nexus 4 and Nexus 10 are still within 2 years, so they'll likely get it depending on when it's released.

True that it gets security updates, but if you want an OS update (like windows 7 to windows 8) it aren't free and thus have to be purchased. So this begs the question, would you be willing to pay for longer support?
Actually windows 7 is fine for me. If I needed it for professonal work that would be diffierent, but for email and scouring the internet it works fine. Different strokes...Same with G3. Works fine for my purposes.

JM

Back
Top Bottom