• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Does the Samsung Droid Charge have Gorilla Glass?

moshock

I've seen this asked in a few other forums, and I've seen mixed responses. But not once have I seen a single source proving it one way or another.

I just got this phone, and the screen is gorgeous!! If it really has Gorilla Glass, then I do not want to put a screen protector on it (to maximize responsiveness).

So, does it have it or not?! Source?? :confused:

Marcus: Hi, thank you for contacting Samsung Technical Support. How may I help you today?

Sam: Does the Samsung Droid Charge have Gorilla Glass?

Marcus: I understand that you want to know if Droid Charge has Gorilla Glass. Am I correct?

Sam: Yes sir.

Marcus: Thank you for confirming.

Marcus: Yes, it has Super AMOLED plus display and Gorilla glass touch screen.

Sam: How come I can't find the "gorilla glass" information on a single website?!

Marcus: Let me check for that information.

Sam: Thanks. I just can't seem to find it in writing anywhere.

Marcus: You are welcome.

Sam: Any luck finding it?

Marcus: I am sorry, not yet. I am checking the information on Samsung website.

Marcus: Thank you for holding.

Sam: I just downloaded the Verizon Droid Charge manual (pdf version) and did a search for "gorilla glass" and it yielded 0 results. =\

Marcus: Unfortunately, there is no written information on the Gorilla glass on Droid charge, but there is some information on web pages. But we do not have access to provide you non-samsung links.

Sam: So do you know 100% for sure it has Gorilla Glass??

Marcus: Yes, I am sure of it. Please let me check once again regarding the written information.

Marcus: I am sorry, there is no written information on this. But I am sure, that this phone has Gorilla Glass. You can search for the information on the web as well.

If it does have gorilla glass I would still put a screen protector on it. It would only be scratch resistant and not scratch proof. My D1 still got scratches. As far as reduced sensation on the screen if its anything like the bolts touch screen it won't hinder it none. I can bearly toich it and it has a protector in it. It's nice to have the Added protection.

Samsung support is clueless, I asked them is the media dock will hold phone with extended batterya dn they said yes, I went to VZ store they just got one in and opned it up for me and it will nto fit phone with extended battery

I was curious too, because my husband came home today with his Fascinate, bragging about the Gorilla Glass. Perhaps you saw these, but I saw a few reviews online that state that the DC does have Gorilla glass -- for example: DROID Charge Review - SlashGear

BUT, the Corning Gorilla Glass site does not list the DC as a product with Gorilla Glass (the Fascinate is listed). That may be only because the Corning site hasn't been updated, but just FYI.
CORNING

I am not advocating anyone not use a screen protector or anything like that, but the second I found out my Droid X had a GG screen I ripped my $15 dollar Skinomi screen protector right off of that thing!

That was about 3 months into owning it, and 4 different screen protectors tried in an effort to find one that looked and felt like the naked screen because I LOVED the look and feel of the naked screen. Once I found out it was Gorilla Glass that was all I needed to know.

It's been off for 7 months now and there is not a single hairline scratch or anything else for that matter, it is flawless!!! Mind you, I never put it in my pocket with my keys, loose change, or anything else of that nature. I am fairly careful with mine, so if you are one who likes to throw it into any pocket regardless of what else may be in that pocket, then by all means you might want to keep a screen protector on it.

Gorilla Glass isn't indestructable or anything, but it holds up VERY well against most obstacles.

I had my Droid X naked since day one. Dropped it only a few times. Always had a dedicated pocket.. The thing was mint when I handed it over to my wife.

Even if it does have GG, I'm pretty OCD about my screens. I dont like scatches, or even a hint of one, and even worse is fingerprints or smudges. I actually got the "anti-reflective" cover, so the screen brightness and clarity isnt super awesome like it really is... But it does hide a little more of the OCD elements of the glass :)

Not to rain on anyone's parade. But Gorilla Glass does not guarantee you against scratches...yes supposedly it's stronger then reg glass, but believe me, it can still get scratched. I ended up with a phantom scratch on my Fascinate after 2 weeks with it...And I baby all my phones...it was never dropped or anything like that. All it takes is a little piece of sand and its game over. So honestly I wouldn't really put to much weight in the if it does, if it doesn't have Gorilla glass debate. I do believe Samsung did use gorilla glass on the charge, I remember reading it somewhere. But at the end of the day if it worries you that much, just throw a screen protector on the phone. Steinheil makes really good ones!

This was off Corning website...

"Due to customer agreements, we cannot identify all devices that feature Gorilla Glass. Your favorite device may include Gorilla Glass, even if you don't see it listed. Ask your manufacturer or retailer to learn more."

Do realize that Gorilla Glass is resistant, not impervious. I fumbled my Droid a couple weeks ago, and after a 4' drop onto concrete, I'm now sporting a new pattern on my screen. Still works, but I die a lil inside every time I see it.

Even if it does have GG, I'm pretty OCD about my screens. I dont like scatches, or even a hint of one, and even worse is fingerprints or smudges. I actually got the "anti-reflective" cover, so the screen brightness and clarity isnt super awesome like it really is... But it does hide a little more of the OCD elements of the glass :)

Soooooo - do you replace your screen protector every time it gets a scratch? When I threw away my first Droid (G1), I realized the screen protector had a zillion scratches, but the screen itself was pristine. So I'd been looking at a very scratched surface for over a year with an unscratched screen underneath. I THOUGHT it was important not to have ANY scratches on the screen - but why? Unless you replace the protector regularly, you haven't improved your screen-viewing at all. May just as well not use a protector - afterall, the protector ISN'T GG and will pick up scratches much more easily. Better, I think, to throw away the condom and enjoy it naked! :D

I have the Casio Commando, it has the thickest GG on the market and it has been scratched from going in and out of my pocket.

I don't know if the Charge has GG but as soon as I bought mine I went across the mall and had something called "Phantom Skinz" put on. It's painted on, you have to let it dry and it has a lifetime warranty. I don't know if the $20 price is for everyone, but I have no scratches on my screen and it looks brand new. Feels just like naked glass, which it seems everyone wants. :D

Back
Top Bottom