• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

DROID 2 OTA update!

Also people are more likely to look if there is a specific topic. Not "I need help" or "Do you have this issue" - sorry, pet peeve

Soooo, no ROMs based off of an OS lower than the update?

Something like Fission would replace all the system and stuff so You could flash it. But if something goes wrong to where you can't get past the Moto logo back into clockwork then the fix is to sbf. If you use the current sbf, word is you'll brick your phone. The update changes the bootloader which makes the current sbf incompatible.

The Full sbf for 2.3.20 is "uploading" as of now, since Thursday. I wouldn't tinker with anything till you have it in your possession.

I tried unrooting and failed miserably. I'll keep trying I might just flash the new SBF and unroot right into 2.3.20. Anything to kill the laggyness and 3G jumpyness of the past couple weeks.

Does this fix the haptic feedback bug? Isn't listed on the sheet, but maybe someone that got the update could check...? If that isn't fixed I'm not gonna bother...

Does this fix the haptic feedback bug? Isn't listed on the sheet, but maybe someone that got the update could check...? If that isn't fixed I'm not gonna bother...

No they still vibrate when its off. In my opinion, I think moto did that on purpose. I know by now they would have acknowledged or even known before release. Its too obvious to just past by. Also you could turn it off perfectly fine on the droid1. The droid1 and 2 aren't totally different they are just about the same. I think it was done so you know when you hit the buttons, even by accident. Like it was made a standard for the soft keys.

IN MY OPINION↑

Can yinz elaborate on the haptic feedback bug? I didn't notice anything on 2.2.2 and now i'm on 2.3.2 so I'm very curious.

Can yinz elaborate on the haptic feedback bug? I didn't notice anything on 2.2.2 and now i'm on 2.3.2 so I'm very curious.

Maybe the bug doesn't affect Pittsburghers. I don't know what this bug is, but I am pretty familiar with the term "yinz!" :D

It's the bug where disabling haptic feedback doesn't stop the bottom four command keys (menu, home, escape, search) from vibrating.

Should the people who still haven't received this update, or been able to pull it, juts assume that it has been pulled for some reason?

Should the people who still haven't received this update, or been able to pull it, juts assume that it has been pulled for some reason?

They should continue to wait. There's no evidence that the update has been pulled. Motorola has done an initial deployment and is likely still investigating the results of that deployment. Either wait, or do the manual update.
jason

They should continue to wait. There's no evidence that the update has been pulled. Motorola has done an initial deployment and is likely still investigating the results of that deployment. Either wait, or do the manual update.
jason

By manual update, do you mean initiating it from the phone myself, or flashing the ROM in some way? I have been trying to do it manually (client-initiated) for days now.

Automatic = When VZW pings your phone and prompts you to do the OTA update.

Semiautomatic = When you go the Settings -> About Phone -> System Updates instead of waiting for a prompt from your phone.

Manual = Flashing an SBF file using RSDLite or some other tool.

Can anyone who has updated confirm improved battery life with 2.3.20?

I haven't received the update yet, but I was just curious. Based on the Droid-Life poll, it seems like only 15% of D2 owners have actually gotten the update so far.

Semiautomatic = When you go the Settings -> About Phone -> System Updates instead of waiting for a prompt from your phone.

Ok, I have been trying the semiautomatic method with no success. Guess i'll just wait a bit more.

I haven't received the update yet, but I was just curious. Based on the Droid-Life poll, it seems like only 15% of D2 owners have actually gotten the update so far.

Mines lasts a little bit longer. It lasted long enough on 2.2.20 so this is great for me. Depends on what you do with your phone too.

Mines lasts a little bit longer. It lasted long enough on 2.2.20 so this is great for me. Depends on what you do with your phone too.
As a business user, I am probably in the minority that actually still talks on their phone! :rolleyes: A good 90 minutes per day average. Right now, my D2 with the Moto extended battery gets me about 12-15 hours. Any additional will be welcome, for those days when I exceed the average.

There is something in between Semiautomatic and Manual (maybe it's a flappy paddle gear box :) ), which is manually applying the OTA update via the stock bootloader.

This is what I was calling a "manual update". What you describe as manual I would call replacing the transmission (or at least the fluid) :).

jason

Flappy paddle gearbox instructions.

Get the file from http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10937565/Droid/Blur.zip
Put this file in the root of your SD card (/sdcard) and name it Update.zip (make sure that it isn't update.zip.zip, which is a common mistake).
Turn your phone off.
Open the keyboard.
Hold the "x" key on the keyboard.
Turn the phone on (still holding the "x" key).
Wait for the "yield" sign on the display.
Release the "x" key.
Press the search key on the keyboard.
When the menu appears use the arrow keys to scroll to "apply sdcard:update.zip" and click the OK button to select it.
Wait for it to finish.
When it's done use the arrow keys to select "reboot system now".
You're done.

jason

There is something in between Semiautomatic and Manual (maybe it's a flappy paddle gear box :) ), which is manually applying the OTA update via the stock bootloader.

This is what I was calling a "manual update". What you describe as manual I would call replacing the transmission (or at least the fluid) :).

jason

Flappy paddle gear box? The only people who say that are people who watch Top Gear. :D

Better battery life and overall less laggyness when I'm pushing the phone to the limit. I don't think we're talking hours better, but I don't sweat as much if I forget to charge it overnight.

Back
Top Bottom