• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

DROID 2 OTA update!

Once again, ya gotta love Verizon and Motorola. Both deny any form of update is happening. The Verizon and Motorola techs both "checked with supervisors" and both said "these are internet rumours"

That's odd, I got an email from the Motorola User Forums asking me to chime in about the update should I be one of the few to get it. I am not sure what would happen to my R2D2 D2, so I am not going to bother with it unless it is amazingly awesome some how.

I've got my rooted 2.2.20.A955 on stock ROM and still haven't been notified of an update, and when I check manually it says I'm fully up to date. I have been having random lag and reboot issues recently ... so I might toy with the idea of unrooting and updating and rerooting from scratch.

Sorry for the stupid question, but can you get the OTA via wireless, or is it only sent when you have 3G enabled?

I use wi-fi almost all the time at work and at home...only time it's off is when I'm either going to or from work.

Thanks
S

No update here either, even with manual. Dammit, I am willing to break root for this and I can't even get it.

Jas - I believe you, but I need a couple others to try/verify first, especially since the sbf warning.

Jas - I believe you, but I need a couple others to try/verify first, especially since the sbf warning.
Trust me, I get it. If I wasn't the one to have posted the file I'm not sure I would trust it either.
The fact that people have failed to SBF post update worries me so well. While I've not ever had to SBF I've always held the option to do so as a backup (I have everything I think is required). Since posting here I have tried the manual update process with the file I posted. I understand that this was basically a no op, but the process succeeded, and after it was done I had lost root again.
The initial file name issue scared me, but I'm reasonably sure that the file I got is the OTA. If it were me I'd wait until a developer much smarter than me confirms the package.

Jason

If and when my wife's phone gets the OTA update for her Droid 2 is it necessary or suggested to do a hard reset of the phone after downloading like I did with my Incredible?

So, I would assume that anyone using a ROM based on the R2D2 OS (2.4.5) would not receive this update. Is that correct? Personally, I'm using AngDroid's 2.4.5 Super Clean, so I was just wondering whether I need to watch out for this.

I haven't received a msg but im not really in any hurry to update until we have a SBF to flash

No OTA for me yet...hmmm. Have people with root gotten the OTA?

Yes. I had root, but was not running any type of custom ROM when I got the update. I received the update via OTA, so the push will work to rooted phones.
Post OTA root permissions were lost, but easily regained using the rageagainstthecage exploit.

jason

I got the notification on the morning it was released, downloaded it and the phone restarted and installed then the phone rebooted again and it told me the installation failed. Now I can't get the notification to pop up anymore. I'm rooted also. So I dunno, was thinking about unrooting and seeing if I can get the notification again...

If not, and believe me I'm not complaining, why was it recommended for the Incredible? Is it a different kind of OTA update? I know that mine was for 2.2.

No go for me. Even when I just un-rooted and wiped my whole phone last night. purposely of course. i do it every now and then. im back up and running rooted and deodexed again. no theme though. diggin the stock look.

For the ones that haven't got it yet, Did you try manually checking for an update? Blur phones are suppose to be able to pull from the MOTO server.

And for emphasis...
if you flashed the OTA do not, I repeat, not flash the current sbf
So if you updated and re-rooted don't go messing with ROMs

If you have no idea what root is then don't worry about it. =) ...and don't do it.

FYI - maybe title your post better as there are now two with almost identical titles. Makes it harder when people search as well as viewing and not wanting to look at two of the same.

For the ones that haven't got it yet, Did you try manually checking for an update? Blur phones are suppose to be able to pull from the MOTO server.

And for emphasis...
if you flashed the OTA do not, I repeat, not flash the current sbf
So if you updated and re-rooted don't go messing with ROMs

If you have no idea what root is then don't worry about it. =) ...and don't do it.

Soooo, no ROMs based off of an OS lower than the update?

Back
Top Bottom