• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

EE4 update live, works.

Zohar127

May 28, 2011
Hello fellow Charge users!

So I was bumming around on my phone when an update buzzed letting me know the EE4 update announced today that was supposed to come "soon" came out... immediately! Nice job on Samsung and VZ on that. I went ahead and installed it.

I've screwed around on a few websites on it, including phandroid, and it seems to be running flawlessly now. The lag issues that it had are pretty much gone. There's a little bit of checkerboarding when you zoom in and out really fast, but that's normal.

Giantbomb.com, which is a flash heavy site with tons of embedded videos, was practically unusable before. It took forever to do anything and pinching/dragging/touching links would just lock the whole damn thing up. Now it's pretty good. Very usable. No really bad lag/stuttering issues anymore. Pinching works great and the website is overall very responsive now.

Also, I feel like it performs better on the home screens now. Maybe it's all in my mind, but the slight stuttering the phone had when sliding around home screens seems to be reduced. Actually, scratch that. It's definitely reduced. The only homescreen that stutters now is the "buddies now" one that comes pre-loaded. I have a feeling that has more to do with the widget than the phone itself. I've got like 10 buddies loaded up in that, so it has to pull a lot of data from it. (p.s if anyone knows an app or widget that does the same thing as buddies now but works better, feel free to let me know :p)

Anyway if you have the Charge there's no reason not to get this update. Seems to work some programming magic!

Reactions: Sintec
Upvote 0
i know this is probably totally off subject but i tried to back up my rom on my optimus m and and i think i bricked it im not sure but if anyone can help me with this ill appreciate it very much! and i need to fix my phone asap! i get the lg sign at start up then it says fast boot mode started udc_start() help pleaseeeeeee!!!

Upvote 0
Any manual download options available, or we have to wait for OTA?

The tech support rep I talked to yesterday afternoon said there were no manual updates available. Verizon is just pushing out the update gradually.

I got mine sometime last night. Installed it this morning. Hotspot issue resolved, new signal meeter, and the phone is definitely on the faster side.

Thanks Big Red

Upvote 0
I swear things like to happen right after I read about them. I click on this thread and am about to go to my settings and boom..."system update ready to install".
Mobile hotspot works...my bars look a little more compact...4G seems more solid in my data fickle room; though in mid-message, for the first time, I got a "data roaming" notification when it switched to 3G. Oh well. So far so good.

PS yes the signal bars look different because they added one. Used to be 4 spaced bars, now we have 5 compact bars. I like it.

Upvote 0
Ditto with Dolphon HD Browser, but I did try the stock browser since EE4 and it seems speedy, nice update, good work Samsung, now get us some gingerbread!!

Everything seems OK and the phone is smoother with the update EXCEPT I don't see any real difference in reception and that was the one I wanted the most. I was just in a 3G area and when I pulled the phone from my pocket and turned it on, there were about 4 bars, but no indication of 3G, 4G or even 1X. After several seconds I got the 3G sign but until then I had 'connectivity error'. Also in my house, prior to the update I'd go from 3G to 4G and back to 3G at random times. Same thing now with the update. So I really don't see any difference in reception at all. :(

Upvote 0
Everything seems OK and the phone is smoother with the update EXCEPT I don't see any real difference in reception and that was the one I wanted the most. I was just in a 3G area and when I pulled the phone from my pocket and turned it on, there were about 4 bars, but no indication of 3G, 4G or even 1X. After several seconds I got the 3G sign but until then I had 'connectivity error'. Also in my house, prior to the update I'd go from 3G to 4G and back to 3G at random times. Same thing now with the update. So I really don't see any difference in reception at all. :(

Same reason I updated, I was hoping that all my signal issues would be resolved. Unfortunately, no such luck. I actually think it's made them worse :S I'm having to restart the phone every time it drops the 3 or 4g network in order for it to recognize the internet/data again. (2-3 times a day now. wtf)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones