• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Email shows "Loading messages..." when I try to reply to an email

shankscomp

Lurker
Jul 16, 2011
OK, in the Android Email app, not gmail, but the actual Email app, I can receive messages. I can send a new message. But any time I try to reply to a message, as soon as I click reply, the compose window opens and then there is a box that says "Loading messages..."

This is on a Samsung Note 3 phone. My email comes in just fine on my Samsung Tab E tablet. The server settings and credentials are all set correctly. Just start happening today. Have gone into the application manager to email, and cleared the cache for the email app.
screenshot.png

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated....

I have the exact same problem for the last few days and tried the same fixes. Another employee on the same exchange server (Intermedia) has the same issue. We can't figure out how to get past the loading messages.

The temporary fix is to create the email and then save it as a draft by hitting the back button and choose save. Whenever the "loading messages" popup shows up, I hit the back button on the phone and it goes away. I can then type into an email and choose to go into the draft folder to open the email and hit the send button from the draft folder.

It is a lot of silly steps but will allow me to type email addresses and text to eventually send from the draft folder... until I find the actual fix! ugghhh

Reactions: Jop from Zurich
Upvote 0
OK, in the Android Email app, not gmail, but the actual Email app, I can receive messages. I can send a new message. But any time I try to reply to a message, as soon as I click reply, the compose window opens and then there is a box that says "Loading messages..."

This is on a Samsung Note 3 phone. My email comes in just fine on my Samsung Tab E tablet. The server settings and credentials are all set correctly. Just start happening today. Have gone into the application manager to email, and cleared the cache for the email app.
screenshot.png

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated....

Upvote 0
I have the exact same problem for the last few days and tried the same fixes. Another employee on the same exchange server (Intermedia) has the same issue. We can't figure out how to get past the loading messages.

The temporary fix is to create the email and then save it as a draft by hitting the back button and choose save. Whenever the "loading messages" popup shows up, I hit the back button on the phone and it goes away. I can then type into an email and choose to go into the draft folder to open the email and hit the send button from the draft folder.

It is a lot of silly steps but will allow me to type email addresses and text to eventually send from the draft folder... until I find the actual fix! ugghhh

Upvote 0
Sorry fly-guy,

I used my temporary fix to reply and forward emails, but got fed up with it because no one knew what to do. I presented the question to various IT resources and no one seems to understand why the ActiveSync problem exists. So I downloaded outlook for Android and I'm no longer using the resident email app on the phone. It takes a little getting used to, but I got tired of having to figure out how to work around it.

Upvote 0
I have been having the same loading messages problem and unable to forward or reply to emails. Samsung Note4. Started the past few days. Seems intermittent as I can sometimes get one forward in before it starts again. I have deleted and added my email so many times I've lost count. Also cleared cache and data. What is going on and how do I fix it?

Upvote 0
Same thing happened to me as from this morning Dec the 11th (it might have happened even day-two earlier but didn't use it over the weekend). Samsung Galaxy Note 4 (SM-N910C), Android version 5.0.1. I can properly receive and send emails. But when I try to REPLY to an email that is already in my Inbox, is starts looping "Loading messages" forever.... and don't do anything. Tried everything except rebooting the android and nothing works. Now I see some of you even rebooted their phones and even then no fix.
In the meantime I am using Bob's workaround (with Save/Draft). Any new ideas for real fix or news about this bug, guys?

Upvote 0
May have just come up with at least a temp fix by searching similar issues. Went to settings- apps- app manager- android system webviewer. Hit disable which rolls it back to an earlier version. Seems to be forwarding or replying now on over ten tests

Hi Jamie,

A Question: indeed, I do find this app and on my phone it is called Android System Web View. When I open it, I get 3 active option buttons: Force Stop, Uninstall Updates and Disable. You say Disable button works as it is cancelling the updates and getting them back onto the previous version? Isn't the "Uninstall Updates" button more suitable? I worry not to erase/lose some important data, so I have to double check....Thanks!

Reactions: Astr4y4L
Upvote 0
Webview is a service provided by Google to allow apps to display html in windows rather than forcing you to the web browser. I see it was updated on Dec. 5th which is when all your problems started. I would venture that the update broke something in the stock Samsung email app. You could indeed roll back the update on Webview, but unless you disabled updates, it would most likely re-update to the latest version. Disabling it might have unexpected consequences with other apps, but it might work.

I would recommend using a different email client. The Gmail app does handle exchange accounts pretty well and can provide you a single app to view all email. For those concerned it doesn't consolidate or share data across accounts, it just gives you a unified view. :)

Reactions: mgs and Astr4y4L
Upvote 0
Just did what Jamie told me, though I used "Uninstall Updates" button...and just managed to send an email via Reply to an earlier one I got today in my Inbox...it should meant it works (for the time being). I am now very much intrigued what will happen when I Update this Android System Web View App back to the latest version again....... Anyway, a big thanks to you Jamie!

Upvote 0
For the sake of testing if this System WebView app is indeed causing the trouble, I just got the newest App version back and Email app got stuck immediately....so it really is the cause of problem. But I uninstalled it again and Reply works just fine again...I will try to avoid the automatic updates of this app until I get confirmation that the newest version gives a fix to this problem...if anybody gets the news that we are safe to install the newest updates, let us know. Thanks.

Reactions: Astr4y4L
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones