• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Every root user should read this!!!

I received this email.
Newer version of swype available.

logo_0.png
Text Input for Screens

Swype Beta for Android

Just an update I am using the new version and wow I love it, I got to say it is a hell of an improvement even over the beta I was using.

Just an update from the op here. I have also bumped up to the newest version and its great. Best version yet by far.

A quick note. For anyone upgrading from the last beta per this post, you can uninstall from the stock menu once you have changed out from the stock version of swype. If you did it the root explorer methods once you don't have to again is what I mean. Just uninstall it like any other program.

I just tried it finally since I can always undo what I've tried. The installer installed fine, but I observed that after the installer downloaded swype, it would not successfully install.

It seemed to think I still had the stock swype in place, despite my having renamed the apk, the library file, and having deleted the dalvik cache file for old swype.

So on a whim, I quit the installer, rebooted the phone, and tried again. It now works flawlessly. Thanks for the heads up!

Well, I finally got Root Explorer and renamed the two files per the op, and deleted the one. I clicked on the download link and when I try to install it, I get an error: Parse error - There is a problem parsing the package. I have to hit ok and that's that. Nothing else happens. Any ideas?

Well, I finally got Root Explorer and renamed the two files per the op, and deleted the one. I clicked on the download link and when I try to install it, I get an error: Parse error - There is a problem parsing the package. I have to hit ok and that's that. Nothing else happens. Any ideas?

Reboot for the changes to take and then install.

I did the re-boot, and then tried to install and got the same error. I even re-downloaded the installer.

I actually think I got that error when I was trying to install english/spanish version so I rebooted and installed the full version and it worked.

Well, I've tried it now again, from scratch, and I am still getting the parsing error. I have renamed or deleted the files like in the op. I rebooted. I down loaded a new installed from the website. When I click on the installed, in the downloads directory on my sd card, I get the parsing error.

Well, I've tried it now again, from scratch, and I am still getting the parsing error. I have renamed or deleted the files like in the op. I rebooted. I down loaded a new installed from the website. When I click on the installed, in the downloads directory on my sd card, I get the parsing error.
What tool are you using to browse the sdcard?
Maybe try another file manager like ESfile Explorer, ASTRO or Root Explorer as some file managers will not allow you to install from sdcard.

What tool are you using to browse the sdcard?
Maybe try another file manager like ESfile Explorer, ASTRO or Root Explorer as some file managers will not allow you to install from sdcard.

I am using Root Explorer. I can click on the .apk and it asks me what I want to do, and I click the option to install. Then it gives me the parse error.

I am using Root Explorer. I can click on the .apk and it asks me what I want to do, and I click the option to install. Then it gives me the parse error.
Sorry, it's been a while since I joined the Swype beta and forgot you had to use your phone to navigate to the download.
Have you tried a different browser?

I am trying to download and install Swype Beta using the Swype Installer and I'm getting the message: "Parse Error: There is a problem parsing the package."

The primary cause of a Parse Error is an interruption in your network connection while downloading Swype. It is usually resolved if you run the Swype Installer again while connected to a WiFi network. Certain third party browsers, like Skyfire and SteelBrowser, also cause this issue. If you still receive a parse error when using WiFi and the default Android browser, please head to our forums and request additional help there.

Sorry, it's been a while since I joined the Swype beta and forgot you had to use your phone to navigate to the download.
Have you tried a different browser?

I am trying to download and install Swype Beta using the Swype Installer and I'm getting the message: "Parse Error: There is a problem parsing the package."

The primary cause of a Parse Error is an interruption in your network connection while downloading Swype. It is usually resolved if you run the Swype Installer again while connected to a WiFi network. Certain third party browsers, like Skyfire and SteelBrowser, also cause this issue. If you still receive a parse error when using WiFi and the default Android browser, please head to our forums and request additional help there.

I will try using the standard browser, 'cause I've been selecting Skyfire every time I've tried it. I'll post later when I've done it.

Ok. Got the space issue cleared up and have swype working now. So, now that it is working, can I uninstall the swype installer that is still in my applications and taking up space?

Ok. Got the space issue cleared up and have swype working now. So, now that it is working, can I uninstall the swype installer that is still in my applications and taking up space?
Unfortunately no
I found if you uninstall the installer it errors the swype, says its an unlicensed version.

You could move many of your downloaded apps to your /system/app folder though, do a reboot and it will clear up available space

Unfortunately no
I found if you uninstall the installer it errors the swype, says its an unlicensed version.

New Optimus, I actually tried it before I got your reply. So far I haven't got an unlicensed error message. I guess if I do, then I'll just go through the process again. Thanks for the reply. Also, if I move apps to the /system/apps/ directory, won't that fill up my phone? Aren't I wanting to get apps out of that directory?

:)

I used the following steps:

Root the LG Optimus M
Install Root Uninstaller App from Android Market
Launch Root Uninstaller App and remove existing Swype App
Launch Web Browser and Login to Swype.com web site (create user id and password if you do not have one already)
Download and install Swype Installer App on the phone
Launch Swype Installer and Install Swype (Full version)
Make Swype as the default keyboard in settings menu
Reboot phone if necessary

If Swype force closes or has any issues, Uninstall Swype (not the Swype Installer App) and re install Swype using Swype Installer App.

:)

New Optimus, I actually tried it before I got your reply. So far I haven't got an unlicensed error message. I guess if I do, then I'll just go through the process again. Thanks for the reply. Also, if I move apps to the /system/apps/ directory, won't that fill up my phone? Aren't I wanting to get apps out of that directory?
The /system folder is not used by any other part of the phone, that I am aware of. Your data area is user available and also used by phone for text and other messages. I also heard it is used as ram so the more user area you have filled up the slower the phone becomes. That is why you want more in /system and less in /data

I think a reboot and you may find swype stops working. Though that may have only been my experience.

Just another fyi, I have uninstalled the swype installer every time no problem. Its tiny though so don't expect that to free up too much space.

Just another fyi, I have uninstalled the swype installer every time no problem. Its tiny though so don't expect that to free up too much space.

Yes, I found that it as only about 26k, but decided up any way. I did a reboot today to see what would happen and have no probs. I'm using swype now in fact.
I like this newer version a whole lot better than what came on the phone.

Back
Top Bottom