• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

EVO vs iPhone 4 Speed Test

Seriously you need to go away....I have em both, well let's reframe that, I HAD EM BOTH! I had the iPhone for all of maybe 36 hrs, until I packed it up and returned it to at&t. I happen to like Apple products, and I will be the First, and definitely not last to say I loved my 3Gs. However the iPhone 4 is pure Garbage. That thing couldn't hold a candle or candle holder to my EVO, or my year old 3Gs. Yes the camera is good, and so is video, ends there people. So Apple basically built a good cam/camcorder? Speed wise, its insane how much the EVO beats up on the 4. I put my EVO up against mine, my brothers, and my cousins iPhone 4, and the results were always the same....GOOOOOOOOOOAL BY THE EVO! More like a knock out then a goal...lol! Anyway take your BS somewhere else.

Off topic, but I agree with most of your post. I was also a big fan of the 3GS when I had it for a year. Actually we have been testing the camera past 3 days. This is what we both agreed on:

- the i4 gives better or the same quality of pictures outside in sunlight.
- indoors, the Evo obviously looks better than the i4 in medium to low light. The i4 does not really have a strong flash, whereas the Evo can blind you (but gives a much better picture in low light with flash on auto/on).
- in complete darkness like a closet, the Evo is better.
- the i4 video recording is a lot better than the Evo

Also, the i4 does have a beautiful screen and resolution. But I rather take a 4.3 screen over the resolution of the i4. That's personal preference. A comparison would be if I went down from a widescreen monitor back to a regular. It's not happening.

Reactions: mkilci1
Upvote 0
Dude,

Stop being so defensive. I am trying to convince myself to keep the Evo. You with your "I hate iPhone, I love EVO" attitude is unnecessary.

I love everything about the EVO.

Screen size, better camera, Google app integration, Navigation, HQ YouTube, keyboard (and ability to install more like Swype), kickstand, customizability, Widgets, Shortcuts etc, etc.

I get it. Also it is almost $60 cheaper per month with my employee discount.

Having said that, why the hell am I seeing 1/3 the speed with the Speed Test app? Is it inaccurate? Is it the area I am in? Is it the way I am "NOT" holding the phone?

Simpel question. Answer if you know the answer or have proof. If not stop making dumb a.. comments.

Help me become and Android fan.

Thanks

Upvote 0
I've generally had poor results from the speedtest app on the EVO. I'll get 1Mbps on it and moments later I'll go to the Speakeasy speedtest site and get 7-11 Mbps . I think there are issues with the Speedtest app on the EVO.

Agreed. My test on Speedtest for 3G was like 0.67 down and 0.34 up. I know its not THAT slow. Speakeasy test showed 1.08 down and 0.58 up. On my wifi its crazy good. 17.4 down and 1.8 up. Cant wait to see how much faster Froyo and 4G are when they arrive soon.

Upvote 0
Dude,

Stop being so defensive. I am trying to convince myself to keep the Evo. You with your "I hate iPhone, I love EVO" attitude is unnecessary.

Screen size, better camera, Google app integration, Navigation, HQ YouTube, keyboard (and ability to install more like Swype), kickstand, customizability, Widgets, Shortcuts etc, etc.

Having said that, why the hell am I seeing 1/3 the speed with the Speed Test app? Is it inaccurate? Is it the area I am in? Is it the way I am "NOT" holding the phone?

Simpel question. Answer if you know the answer or have proof. If not stop making dumb a.. comments.

Thanks

There is no hope... keep the iPhone and have a nice day...

Upvote 0
vdfvfdvfdvdfv.PNG

I am indoors in a building so i think it might be just a bit higher upload and maybe a tad for download. Not bad too me. Gooo Evo!!!!!. Please OP post your screenshots using speakeasy. You might just be in a bad coverage area. If AT&T service is better for you in your area then get your Iphone 4G or 3gs and call it a day. Also you wrote your trying to convince yourself. I think you know the answer. Have a nice day and enjoy your forth of july. Let's make a fourth of July Thread. Pics and video galore!!!!

Upvote 0
Dude,

Thanks

I know your type you just want people to say what you want to hear. Android sells it self and so does the evo. In your case it hasnt. So I suggest you stay away from android and stick to your your mediocre iphone.

Upvote 0
I have both phones. Using the Speed Test app, getting consistent results.

iPhone 4 is 3 to 4 times faster, almost every time.

Before make the final decision on which to keep. Any suggestions? Ideas. Is ATT iPhone really that much faster without 4G on Evo...

You have both phones so why didn't you open up a few websites on each phone by wifi and 3g and see first hand?

Upvote 0
I get about 300k-600k consistent speeds with sprint in my area, some places can be as high as 1.8mbs, but i have no idea if it is roaming when it goes that high. Got the same speeds on the diamond so i don't think its all the new evos on the network, mainly used mobile speedtest for the results on the diamond, and speakeasy, speedtest app, mobile speedtest, and dsl reports speedtest for the evo give me all the same range of speeds. I am using the force roam hack to be on VZ network with my evo and get consistent speeds above 1.2mbs at home, and around 700-1mbs around town. While I agree with others, it does not make a difference in web browsing for the most part, even with the same speeds, the evo is much faster than the diamond loading pages, the better speeds make a huge difference with video. Youtube videos of flash videos form websites just load quickly and no stopping to load like on the sprint network. But when you factor in price, even with the $10 add on, sprint is just a better value, and a lot of the reviews i have seen say vz, and in parts att, is faster but sprint is more reliable.

Upvote 0
Fanboys always amuse me.

What? You mean this isn't the cooking channel?

Well, I'm sure they're very thankful that we're the ones stuck with you.

Fixed that for you.

Come on i expected better from you. This is what you come up with? I remember seeing some of your other post where you talked in circles for pages and pages. Gives this thread that same amount of attention. As you can see your brilliant contributions to this thread is so needed. I dont know how some threads can survive without your low brow insight.
We all could use more of your long winded analogies and failing insights.

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
You can and never will be able to do a speed test to determine true data speed.

That is like taking your car to a randomly selected part of the any city and seeing how fast you can get.

Some times you will get to 150 mph, most of the time you will get to 30mph.

Data speeds and traffic speeds have a lot in common.

Areas that have higher traffic, you will have slower speeds. Places that have no traffic, you will have higher speeds.

The bottom line to say speed test is and always will be, is it fast enough for you.

Upvote 0
You can and never will be able to do a speed test to determine true data speed.

That is like taking your car to a randomly selected part of the any city and seeing how fast you can get.

Some times you will get to 150 mph, most of the time you will get to 30mph.

Data speeds and traffic speeds have a lot in common.

Areas that have higher traffic, you will have slower speeds. Places that have no traffic, you will have higher speeds.

The bottom line to say speed test is and always will be, is it fast enough for you.

I have to agree. I've always had different results every time. From both 3G and 4G connections, I've seen connection speeds from 130 kbps to 2.10+ Mbps here in the SW Houston Area, to 3.20+ Mbps at Newark Inernational Airport in NJ. :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones