• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Evo4G Sick, Multisympton Rootutussin Needed

log3an

Hi all, hope someone has an answer, to that person I'll owe a thousand bucks, if you can read this=D To everyone else, don't do what I did, whatever it was.

I have a Sprint Evo 4G stuck on stock; the Hboot is damaged, the recovery.img might be screwed and the PC isn't detecting any USB connected Evos. I just need to Permanent Root or reflash.

This Is What's Wrong: (Note: I've tried most noob-capable attempts and am aware of the necessary settings/steps)
1. PC doesn't detect USB connected/debug enabled Evo
2. USB selection on Evo seems broken. Only the 'Debug Enabled' notification alerts of activity
3. All update.zips fail Signature Verification in Recovery
4. Hboot 'SD Whatever' it said doesn't say it anymore when HBbootloads and scans the SD card
5. Hboot USB does nothing when the Evo and PC are connected.

What Works:
1.This fast ass processor, hells yeah! I'm on a Huawei Ascend that I first Cm6 flashed. When Cm7 was released, 6 was barbaric. I completely see now how crappy that stupid little turd was altogether. To anyone else trying to turn a tinker toy into a tool, GET a tool to turn into whatever and you'll be 947k times happier.

Assumed/Possible Solution Routes:
(Over-my-head ideas to fix this, are any possible?)
1. Fix Signature Verification(s) for Recovery update.zips
- About this, I got error 'E: Error in cache/recovery/command' in Recovery, so with Root Explorer I made recovery and command folders with their respective permissions and now get 'Error in CACHE: recovery/command (Bad file number). Was my guess at all close to fixing that?
2. Somehow reflash Hboot with S-ON in Recovery
3. Android executed 1-click/auto/apk permanent Rooter
4. S-OFF during z4Root's temporary Root
5. Manual missing/broken system file replacement in Root Explorer
6. Terminal Emulator - USB Debug or .img flash?

Thanks again for the help, Boo, I look forward to reading it. Lol, I'm joking, you're not my f$*$%in boo:)

ok so first off can you get to recovery and what recovery do you have? i know in amon ra you can toggle signature verification. i'm not sure in clockwork mod, but i think there is an option like that as well.

as far as your usb connection issue, my computer does that from time to time. what works for me is that i turn off my computer, wipe dalvik cache and cache, reboot my computer and wait till it is finished, connect my usb cable first to the computer then my phone.

so are you saying that hboot will not scan for the PC36IMG.zip file anymore? it does a take a few seconds for it to scan. if that is the case, then that is weird. i have never heard of that. not sure what the fix would be for that. you can try and unroot using a RUU and then re-root.

ok so first off can you get to recovery and what recovery do you have?
-Yeah, I can access the stock Recovery from the Bootloader

i know in amon ra you can toggle signature verification. i'm not sure in clockwork mod, but i think there is an option like that as well.
-I did read that, the problem is getting these recoveries on the phone. Is there a 2011 process for that?

as far as your usb connection issue, my computer does that from time to time. what works for me is that i turn off my computer
-My problem's solved if I can get the USB working

wipe dalvik cache and cache
-On the phone you mean, right?
reboot my computer and wait till it is finished, connect my usb cable first to the computer then my phone
-Okay then, completely reboot the computer, wipe the phone caches then connect the USB pc to phone, yes?

so are you saying that hboot will not scan for the PC36IMG.zip file anymore?
-That's exactly what I'm saying. After Hboot opens it halts I guess. It DID SD SCAN at first but I dont know where it went. It probably took the Hboot USB Connect with it
it does a take a few seconds for it to scan. if that is the case, then that is weird. i have never heard of that. not sure what the fix would be for that. you can try and unroot using a RUU and then re-root.
-If the SD scan's just stalled, I'll try giving it more time 'cause there's nothing to UnRoot yet. The RUUs aren't detecting the phone, but I'm trying your Wipe-and-Reboot.

ok you said stock recovery. not sure what you mean by that. when you root using the unrevoked method you automatically switch recoveries from stock to clockwork mod. so which one do you have?

so when hboot scans for the IMG file does it say not found at the end? or does it not even do that? are you naming the PC36IMG.zip correctly? remember that windows hides extensions. so make sure that you are not naming it "PC36IMG.zip.zip".

ok you said stock recovery. not sure what you mean by that.
-I haven't intentionally changed anything on the phone. For the Ascends I rooted I had a folder of staple apks saved, rom manager, superuser, z4 etc. Somewhere between installing system file explorers and comparing the Evo to the Ascend, I moved something or deleted something or in some other way assumed the two Android devices were the exact same thing.

when you root using the unrevoked method you automatically switch recoveries from stock to clockwork mod. so which one do you have?
-I began the incompatible above before I found the updated, device specific Root options, which are now impared as the result 1. PC doesn't detect USB connected/debug enabled Evo
2. USB selection on Evo seems broken. Only the 'Debug Enabled' notification alerts of activity
3. All update.zips fail Signature Verification in Recovery
4. Hboot 'SD Whatever' it said doesn't say it anymore when HBbootloads and scans the SD card
5. Hboot USB does nothing when the Evo and PC are connected.

so when hboot scans for the IMG file does it say not found at the end? or does it not even do that?
-It not even does that. When I Hboot now nothing scans.
I just wiped the cache again and factory reset the phone, WAITED, and Hboot is scanning, but it says failed or something, it's quick. Attempting your USB suggestion, you probably got it, thanks dude=D
are you naming the PC36IMG.zip correctly?
remember that windows hides extensions. so make sure that you are not naming it "PC36IMG.zip.zip".
-Be back with the results shortly:)

Back
Top Bottom