• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [FAQ]ROOTING (Updated 7th April 2012)

The misc issue is not a Mac problem. It is also mentioned in post 1 of this thread though without Windows, you can't upgrade or downgrade to fix it.

Thanks, SUroot. So does that mean my phone is unrootable on Mac? If so would Unrevoked v3.32 or v3.21 be fine on windows as I can borrow a mate's laptop.

You need 3.21 but you'll still get misc error so will have to upgrade or downgrade from windows first

Hi,
I've got the same problem every time - "is your firmware too new..." I have the same specifications on the phone like superdan10101 has. Few numbers different at the build number(I`ve got: 2.29.405.14 CL345208) and the software number (mine is: 2.29.405.14). Tried already unrevoked 3.21 and 3.32, same message always.
Any ideas?
Thanks a lot for your reply. I'm trying for a week already. :D

Slightly reworded the below:

UnrEVOked only works for 2.2.1 or lower however. Any 2.2.2 or 2.3.3 GSM ROM must use revolutionary. Also, any hboot 1.02 or higher needs to use revolutionary too.

Just to distinguish between 2.2.1 and 2.2.2

I rooted my HTC Desire some time ago and was very happy (I could move the GOOD app to my SD). But I couldn't update to the latest system software update (System Enhancement 6.34 MB). I now re-set my phone to factory defaults, but I still can't install the update. Do I need to un-root my phone? :eek:

---------------
Android version 2.2
Kernel version 2.6.32.15-gf5a401c
Software number 2.26.405.5

I rooted my HTC Desire some time ago and was very happy (I could move the GOOD app to my SD). But I couldn't update to the latest system software update (System Enhancement 6.34 MB). I now re-set my phone to factory defaults, but I still can't install the update. Do I need to un-root my phone? :eek:

---------------
Android version 2.2
Kernel version 2.6.32.15-gf5a401c
Software number 2.26.405.5

From Post #1:

Can I still receive OTA updates?
No. Most custom ROMS block out this feature, but if you have rooted your existing rom, you may still get the option to install OTA. PLEASE DO NOT!!! You need to disable the setting that checks for updates. OTA updates often cannot be installed, but sometimes they appear to work. However this can lead to huge issues in the future so I beg you, please do not try to install one.

So if you want a more up-to-date version, you must flash a custom ROM.

@SUroot,

THANK YOU!
I've been going around in circles for longer than I'd care to admit. I don't want to know how many full threads across multiple forums I've read, how many downloads I've tried (and failed) or how many times I've swore. One monitor gave its life in my quest to root! (No, it wasn't due to a rage).

Finally my Desire is rooted. Unrevoked 3.21 worked where many others have failed.
You, Sir, shall have my eternal thanks.

Hi,

I want to unroot my phone and restore it back to stock. According to this guide, I will need to install one of the original Desire RUUs. Since I bought the phone from O2 Germany, I have chosen this update:

OTA_Bravo_O2_DE_1.20.207.3-1.17.207.3_releasez9b8rc8nxxq8cosz.zip

This is a zip file that contains lots of files and folders, one of which is firmware.zip, which in turn contains

Code:
android_info.txt
boot.img
radio.img
rcdata.img
recovery.img

I guess these are raw images. How do I flash them? Or is there some nice software that knows how to deal with the rest of the files and flash the whole package?

Just a hint for the others - I have used RUU restore from the O2 (o2online.de) website. You can get it here or here. I don't remember exactly where I found it on the official website. I have had my phone repaired after that and no one complained. ;)

Hi guys, another newbie I'm afraid (I can see you all cringing :). I have a Desire A8181. It is the Telstra version (originally Froyo 2.2 rooted with unREVoked) although I upgraded to the official 2.3.3 from the HTC Dev site. Just wanna go back to Froyo 2.2 or maybe a custom, not sure. Anyhow went through the guide, installed the Terminal Emulator but got message saying "not found". Do i just install the amon-ra 2.0.1 and go from there? Thanx.

ALL GOOD. Sorry I wasn't puttong the space in after cat. :) Thanx again.

Not sure if this is the appropriate forum, but I have tried rooting and seem to have my phone in a purgatory of some kind.

I have the stock US-Cellular build on my phone, but when I boot I see the following:
-Revolutionary-
BravoC DVT2 Ship S-Off
HBoot 6.06.1002

The problem is that I still don't have root, and when I try re-running the rooting applications, they fail.

Has anyone come across this before? Any assistance would be appreciated.

-ghf

i'm not sure, but your phone is cdma (bravoc). Most of the guides are for gsm (use sim cards). Make sure any guides you follow or things you "flash" from recovery are cdma specific.

There is a guide to rooting with revolutionary linked from the All Things Root Guide sticky post. Should tell you what you need to know.

You've clearly run revolutionary and have S-Off. What about recovery? Did you let it install its own, or if not which did you use? Finally, what errors do you get when you try to apply the root patch?

This will be doable, but any information you can give us will help.

thanks guys. I'll try again when I get home, and provide screen shots. I think should I open a separate thread for this, as it does not appear to be a one-reply answer.

First off I'd like to say many thanks for compiling such a comprehensive information resource.

One minor thing I have noticed though is that in many of the stickied rooting posts instead of anchor tagged titles instead I just see rows of %1$s.

I've found that at these topics so far, although I haven't read all of them yet.

[FAQ]Rooting
[FAQ]Root Memory: a2sd+, Alpharev, Custom MTD / partitions
[FAQ]Adb and Fastboot

I'm seeing the same effect in Firefox 10.0 and Internet Explorer 8. I suspect it is related to the anchor tags functionality mentioned in post 208 because if I visit the post about anchor tags linked from that post I see the same effect.

Does anyone know what is causing this or how to fix it please?

First off I'd like to say many thanks for compiling such a comprehensive information resource.

One minor thing I have noticed though is that in many of the stickied rooting posts instead of anchor tagged titles instead I just see rows of %1$s.

I've found that at these topics so far, although I haven't read all of them yet.

[FAQ]Rooting
[FAQ]Root Memory: a2sd+, Alpharev, Custom MTD / partitions
[FAQ]Adb and Fastboot

I'm seeing the same effect in Firefox 10.0 and Internet Explorer 8. I suspect it is related to the anchor tags functionality mentioned in post 208 because if I visit the post about anchor tags linked from that post I see the same effect.

Does anyone know what is causing this or how to fix it please?

Its a recent bug

Hello,

New guy trying to get answers before taking the plunge - if I root my desire will I be able to cure the low memory problem? how?
Facebook and maps are now massive and are sucking all my internal memory as I can't push them to the SD card.

Thanks

Is it the apps or their data that are large? Data remain in internal storage even if apps are moved.

System apps are in a different storage partition anyway, but updates do use internal space.

There are a couple of things you can do when rooted. The root memory faq, linked from the All Things Root Guide sticky post, explains the two main options.

I have finally decided to start this whole rooting process (after much research and info gathering). I am trying to follow the gold card instructions above but cannot get the CID. I've followed the instruction to step 4. But when I press the 'Get CID' button, it returns the following message:

"Failed to get CID"

In the Debug Log it shows:

Executing adb shell cat /sys/class/mmc_host/mmc1/mmc1:*/cid
Reading adb output
------------------------
* daemon not running. starting it now *
* daemon started successfully *
------------------------
Could not locate CID in output

I tried MMC1 & MMC0, no luck. I tried leaving my phone in 'Charge only' mode & 'Disk drive' mode, no luck.

After I formated the SD, it looks like it re-mounted the card automatically. Should it be mounted?

It seems like it is not communicating with my phone correctly. Do I need to install some drivers before I start this gold card process?

Back
Top Bottom