• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Favorite App so far.... Developers please see link to Announcements above.

OK, in alphabetical order from my phone.
1. Cameralert. This app can work in the background as you drive to alert you to Safety or speed cameras. The original app and database is free to download. You can subscribe to Pocketgps world on an annual basis to be sent weekly database updates. It works perfectly with the Car mode on my M8 so that both run at the same time, perfect. I had originally subscribed to pocketgps world for updates to my Tom Tom stand alone sat nav, this one subscription gives me free updates on my phone as well so worth considering.

2. FreediYT downloader. Got this originally from Amazon app store as a free app of the day. Allows you to download videos from you tube and save them on phone. Also allows you to save video purely as an mp3 file. Really handy.

3. Handcent SMS. like the fact that it will send long mms messages as an mms rather than converting it to an sms and you getting charged by your carrier.

4. Myfitness pal. Great app if you are looking to lose weight. You input your age, height, etc. Tell it what weight you want to be and how much you would like to lose each week. It will then calculate how many calories you can eat each day to achieve this. Has a great database of foods to make entering foods easy and you can also scan most barcodes. It also remembers your regular items to make selection easier.
Great app that really focusses your mind and stops you taking that late night snack if it is going to put you over your daily goal. It also syncs with fitbit which helps as fitbit in the UK does not have a database so anything you input to Myfitness pal pulls through to Fitbit. Any extra exercise captured in fitbit also carries over to myfitness pal showing if you can eat extra that day because of it.

5. Passwordbox. All the recent scares made me look into setting more complex passwords as i tend to use the same one on lots of things. This app is excellent. Set it up using one complex password that you will remember. You can then generate really complex ones and reset all of your internet based passwords. It syncs across your pc or tablet. Once set, everything is encrypted and only by being able to access the app or add on on your pc, phone or tablet can yur password protected websites be accessed. The chances of someone randomly working out my password for my online banking are now way more remote. Great app.

I have not listed any games as they are all pretty subjective, the apps shown really make having a smart phone worthwhile.
Briefly a few others i value are.

6. Mysuperlist. If i am looking for a bottle of vodka (or some other item) , i can type it into this app and it will look at all of the top supermarkets and show me the current price in each so you can see instantly who has a deal on.

7. Shazam. I love music and if i am out and about and hear a song i like. Quick shazam and it will tell me the name and artist, also keeps a note of it so i can look to download it later.

8. LockScreen by lidroid, great wee on screen widget, one touch and screen locks rather than reaching for power button.

9. Weq4u. avoid paying hefty charges for 0800 or 0870 numbers. I have saved a fortune with this.

10. Whatsapp, great for sending picture messages using data or wifi and avoiding picture message charges from your provider.

11. Final one is Gemini calendar. Great calendar app but what swings it for me is that i can have a widget in top section of screen with up to 8 lines showing upcoming appointments. Means every time i open my phone i see at a glance what i have to do. Works for me.

Hope you dont mind me listing more than 5 but as is said before these things to me make a smartphone so much more than a games machine or extra camera.

Good luck.

PYKL3 Radar, Tapatalk, Weatherbug, Facebook, and GolfLogix.
The next 5:SwiftKey, aPlus Calendar, Gmail, Dropbox, and Waze.

That's very true Dave, but if that was all that people wanted nowadays there would not be smart phones, we would still have the old brick Nokia's.

I like the word game UnJumble by minimind. It is challenging in actual. I m trying to score 10 only but unable to do so. It requires an ultimate vocabulary. The meaning are also shown with words.

Has anyone come across an app that replaces the facebook photo in comments functionality so that you can pick a photo from an album rather than showing all photos in the camera roll screen? Its a right pain in the arse trying to find the photo you want to use when the FB camera roll shows all your photos!

Does anyone have a recommendation for an app that will restart/reboot your device with one click/button press? I have a Nexus 5 and you can do it if you hold the power button for 15 seconds, but that takes too long for me. I just want something that I can click for it to happen. I tried searching the thread already, but did not come up with anything.

Does anyone have a recommendation for an app that will restart/reboot your device with one click/button press? I have a Nexus 5 and you can do it if you hold the power button for 15 seconds, but that takes too long for me. I just want something that I can click for it to happen. I tried searching the thread already, but did not come up with anything.

Check out "Oneclick Restart"

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.GoLfWRC.oneclickrestart

Your phone needs to be rooted for that sort of thing.

By the way, long power press is more than a phone reboot. It also clears the hardware, same as a battery pull on phones with removable batteries. Almost a certainty that there will never be an app for that.

But if you're rooted and you just want the reboot there you go.

Check out "Oneclick Restart"

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.GoLfWRC.oneclickrestart

Your phone needs to be rooted for that sort of thing.

By the way, long power press is more than a phone reboot. It also clears the hardware, same as a battery pull on phones with removable batteries. Almost a certainty that there will never be an app for that.

But if you're rooted and you just want the reboot there you go.

Thanks EarlyMon, unfortunately not rooted. Also thanks for the note on the long power press. Was not aware that it did more than power off and on the phone.

Quick Boot, other options too, like recovery, bootloader, Reboot or just power off.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.greatbytes.fastreboot

This doesn't need root, but not a "true" reboot. Clears up processes. Are you just looking to quickly turn off phone, or do you want it to shut down, then restart?

I have a custom ROM, and long pressing power brings up options to power off/restart/screen shot.... If I click restart, another menu opens asking if it shout just "reboot", or reboot into recovery. Choosing "reboot" does the same thing this app does...

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.greatbytes.fastreboot

This doesn't need root, but not a "true" reboot. Clears up processes. Are you just looking to quickly turn off phone, or do you want it to shut down, then restart?

I have a custom ROM, and long pressing power brings up options to power off/restart/screen shot.... If I click restart, another menu opens asking if it shout just "reboot", or reboot into recovery. Choosing "reboot" does the same thing this app does...

I'm just looking to restart the phone, i.e., turn it off and turn it back on. Sometimes I have trouble to the network and I think that helps.

I'm just looking to restart the phone, i.e., turn it off and turn it back on. Sometimes I have trouble to the network and I think that helps.

If it's just trouble with the cell network you don't need to reboot even though that will work.

All the reboot is doing for you is powering off your phone radios and then turning them back on.

You can get the same effect by toggling your airplane mode.

Apps like "Data Connection Fix" will do that for you automatically -

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gargamel.data.connection.fix

If it's just trouble with the cell network you don't need to reboot even though that will work.

All the reboot is doing for you is powering off your phone radios and then turning them back on.

You can get the same effect by toggling your airplane mode.

Apps like "Data Connection Fix" will do that for you automatically -

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gargamel.data.connection.fix

Thanks Sherri. Installed it and will see if Fastreboot helps.

Thanks EarlyMon, will see if the airplane mode works next time too.

Shortyz crossword puzzles.... Free daily downloads from all the major newspapers and magazines known for their crossword puzzles. Best I've found on Android so far.

My personal favourites include:
1. Photo4tune for chatting.
2. Clean Master for cleaning up the junk files.
3. Evernote as an alternative to old and boring MEMO.
4. Everything ME Launcher to give your android a very good look and feel.

The portable internet in cable TV format. Pluto TV. A free app that takes the best YouTube and the like and turns it into over 100 channels of themed TV programming. I was surprised that the format of shows and time blocks was so comforting. There's a channel devoted to cars, trucks and driving - currently watching "Cars on Fire". :D Can't go wrong with Guns and Explosions or GoPro Adventures either. Beats sifting and searching.

Back
Top Bottom