• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root FINALLY A WORKING JELLY BEAN ROM!! Public release! Update from ICS!

Do you want more dev for this phone or is it time to let it go?

• Total voters
I know you're right cuz of the amount of dev you've done here, but antutu will be mad if I try to correct them on that basis :) any ideas where the discrepancy comes from?
no clue how antutu decides anything lol

Cat /proc/cpuinfo shows the same info as cpu-z. You want to hear an odd one? My Sprint Galaxy s4 shows cpu model in build.prop as msm8960 and cat cpuinfo also shows msm8960...with 4 cores!! I guess the APQ8064T Snapdragon 600 is a quad core msm8960.

Bizarre, huh?

Last edited:
no clue how antutu decides anything lol

The only difference that shows up on Wikipedia between the MSM8260A and the MSM8960, is that the MSM8960 supports LTE, and the 8260A doesn't.

Here is a side by side comparison http://system-on-a-chip.findthebest...S4-MSM8960-vs-Qualcomm-Snapdragon-S4-MSM8260A

For some reason both chips are listed as being released on 2014 instead of 2012 which is the correct date.

I can't find a side by side benchmark of the 2, just a comparison between msm8260 (not 8260a) and msm8960 which is s3 vs s4 (scorpion vs krait) and the performance is still very close http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Qualcomm-Snapdragon-S4-Plus-(MSM8960)-vs-Qualcomm-Snapdragon-S3-(MSM8260)

I found some browser benchmarks in which they are compared and the performance was close enough that you could say software would make the difference (530 for 8960 and 527 for 8260a). I would say other than LTE, it's probably a safe bet that they perform about the same and probably would be code compatible (as long as LTE isn't involved).

I wouldn't be surprised if they have the same ID code or something and that's why antutu is reading it as an MSM8260A.

Cheers,
-SB

Last edited:
The only difference that shows up on Wikipedia between the MSM8260A and the MSM8960, is that the MSM8960 supports LTE, and the 8260A doesn't.

Here is a side by side comparison http://system-on-a-chip.findthebest...S4-MSM8960-vs-Qualcomm-Snapdragon-S4-MSM8260A

For some reason both chips are listed as being released on 2014 instead of 2012 which is the correct date.

I can't find a side by side benchmark of the 2, just a comparison between msm8260 (not 8260a) and msm8960 which is s3 vs s4 (scorpion vs krait) and the performance is still very close http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Qualcomm-Snapdragon-S4-Plus-(MSM8960)-vs-Qualcomm-Snapdragon-S3-(MSM8260)

I found some browser benchmarks in which they are compared and the performance was close enough that you could say software would make the difference (530 for 8960 and 527 for 8260a). I would say other than LTE, it's probably a safe bet that they perform about the same and probably would be code compatible (as long as LTE isn't involved).

I wouldn't be surprised if they have the same ID code or something and that's why antutu is reading it as an MSM8260A.

Cheers,
-SB

oops SB.... voted no in the poll for ::: time to let dev. go in ....... your poll question worded kinda funky? i suppose the right answer is yes we want ot continue dev.. now that i read it aqain ...

any way now that im off work gonna install JB :) . do you think it will solve this http://androidforums.com/threads/voicemail-apk.884579/ Ive been running droidsmith past few months

Last edited:
Wow, it's been a minute since I've come here. I'm glad to see this has come to fruition! Now I'd like to see a performance modified JB kernel for this phone... hehe

I believe that the connections optimizer is usually pulled from the ROM by SuperR when he debloats - which would account for the FC's

Attachments

• 1420058737352.jpg
    1420058737352.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 227
Last edited:
Has anyone tried the wifi module from this rom with cm10?

I wouldn't use it anywhere else. After updating I can't use Wi-Fi signals that I used to. Now I get a notice of "avoided poor internet connection" even when I see there is a strong signal.

I wouldn't use it anywhere else. After updating I can't use Wi-Fi signals that I used to. Now I get a notice of "avoided poor internet connection" even when I see there is a strong signal.
When you go into your WiFi settings you hit menu then advanced and uncheck "avoid poor connections" to fix that.

I just have to say, huge thanks for releasing this ROM, I had lost hope in this phone but, Good work bro. Will be flashing and letting you know how it turns out.

oops SB.... voted no in the poll for ::: time to let dev. go in ....... your poll question worded kinda funky? i suppose the right answer is yes we want ot continue dev.. now that i read it aqain ...

any way now that im off work gonna install JB :) . do you think it will solve this http://androidforums.com/threads/voicemail-apk.884579/ Ive been running droidsmith past few months

I'm not exactly sure what your issue is but voicemail should work properly with Sprint, boost, or virgin. If not let me know and we can try and figure out why. This includes visual voicemail, which can be free as long as you don't sign up for the extra services.

Just like in DSF.

Your write up was a little confusing. Is there a step by step on how to do this?

Sorry, I guess I got caught up in telling the story of this and giving credit to the people who made it happen.

First you will need to make a backup, something like titanium is best if you want to keep apps and their configuration.

Then you will need to install CWM. that is covered by other threads here in the forum.

Third, put the ROM on an SD card, boot into recovery and wipe data/factory reset. Not always necessary but I always go under mounts and wipe /system just to be sure.

Next, choose install zip in CWM, navigate to where the zip is located on your SD and select it.

Install will begin, /system will be wiped again, you will be notified upon completion. Reboot

Install your backup software of choice and begin restoring whatever it was you wanted to save from before.

That should be about it. Anyone, did I miss any steps?

Good luck and hope you enjoy. If you've never flashed a custom ROM before you might try flashing droidsmith force first. It's much easier to revert to a backup from that(such as a nandroid made in CWM) Please take special note of the section where I explained what must be done if you wish to revert to ICS. It's more complicated because this flashes newer radios and other partitions not usually flashed in custom ROM on this phone.

To get back to ICS you need to use factory ROM and recovery so that those partitions are downgraded. I provided a link. It's for boost but that doesn't matter. What's important is those partitions. Once you flash that boost factory ROM you can flash your nandroid from other carrier, or an ICS ROM obtained from your provider and everything will work because the radios and such are back on ICS versions.

Cheers!
-SB

Hello guys, I have to say that with jellybean this phone runs smoother than butter. One problem: If the phone is turned off and you put it to charge it will cause a bootloop and it will just keep turning the phone on and off. Even though you can stop this by turning the phone on and then putting it to charge, if your phone is at 0% battery and you have to charge it this can get pretty annoying. Please look into it. Thanks.

I just tried it with my almost fully charged force turned off. When I plugged it in, it went straight to the big green battery charging animation.

Maybe just because your phone is at 0%? I don't think I've ever had mine get to 0% bc of automatic shutdown at like 5%.

I have seen activity like you are describing. I have a couple of old HTC Windows mobile phones, which had been sitting a couple years with no charge. When I plugged them in they bootlooped until they had enough charge to come all the way on. Now since they have a charge, when I plug them in, they charge normally.

Wait until your phone is charged enough to stay on without the charger and then try charging it while it's off and see if it works normally.

Hope that helps.
Cheers,
-SB

Thanks for the reply. I'll try to charge it when it has more charge. Just in case what it does exactly is that it shows the green android character then it shows the battery... At that point it keeps bootlooping into this. I'll check to see if it stops when the phone has more charge. Also, if you have windows phones I hope you have installed 8.1 on them because it is way better than before :)

EDIT: It still bootloops but it doesn't bother me anyways ._.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. I'll try to charge it when it has more charge. Just in case what it does exactly is that it shows the green android character then it shows the battery... At that point it keeps bootlooping into this. I'll check to see if it stops when the phone has more charge. Also, if you have windows phones I hope you have installed 8.1 on them because it is way better than before :)

EDIT: It still bootloops but it doesn't bother me anyways ._.

That's odd. Which ROM did you have before JB?

And lol at 8.1, I'm talking about WinMo 6 and 6.5 phones. Barely able to run android froyo.

Cheers,
-SB

That's odd. Which ROM did you have before JB?

And lol at 8.1, I'm talking about WinMo 6 and 6.5 phones. Barely able to run android froyo.

Cheers,
-SB

Lol The phone wasn't even rooted... I was in stock. This was the very first ROM i installed right after rooting and installing CWM.

Also about the Windows Mobile, damn i can't believe they can even run froyo lol... IMO froyo is better than WM 6.x.... I have a Lumia with 8.1 installed and it's really cool but the lack of apps is a bit annoying. I'm also hoping Microsoft decides to add Webkit some day :)

Lol The phone wasn't even rooted... I was in stock. This was the very first ROM i installed right after rooting and installing CWM.

Also about the Windows Mobile, damn i can't believe they can even run froyo lol... IMO froyo is better than WM 6.x.... I have a Lumia with 8.1 installed and it's really cool but the lack of apps is a bit annoying. I'm also hoping Microsoft decides to add Webkit some day :)

Windows mobile 6.5 was great at the time. Best smart phones available. There was no ios or android back then. Froyo has been ported to both phones, but it's slow because it lacks accelerated drivers, so Windows mobile is still faster on them, also the android ports are generally lacking some hardware support.

As for current Windows mobile phones, I hear they have some impressive specs, but I don't really think Microsoft can pull enough market share compared to iOS and android for it to do very well as far as app development and support. Plus the phones are very pricey.

Personally I dislike the UI and have been a die hard Linux user since the late nineties so I prefer a more open platform such as android. I stopped using Windows during win 98 and then didn't go back until xp had already been out for some time (100% BSD or Linux for like 4 years).

If Microsoft continues down the path of Windows 8, I could easily see myself going back to a total Linux/*nix environment. For now I'm ok with Windows 7 on most of my computers.

I found an old sub-notebook that I used to use (that's sort of a predecessor of netbooks, lol) and have been installing Linux on it and really enjoying it. First time in awhile that I've messed with Linux other than for work (vmware esx, routers, etc).

It's so much fun to be able to hack everything and make it just how you like it.

Then I picked up this mini itx atom d525 board for $10 the other day, installed Debian, intending to put it in the bedroom for xbmc with broadcom Crystal HD decoder, and then I have to recompile XBMC from source to include support for the Crystal HD decoder and I remember how sometimes Windows is just more convenient.

Maybe I'm just getting lazy, lol. I like it somewhere in between I guess so that's why I've been using Windows 7 or server 2008 r2 with Linux in VMware when I need it for so long.

Cheers,
-SB

As far as webkit on WP8, maybe the closest you can get is opera?

Opera is based on chromium, which is based on webkit. Unless something has changed and I'm behind the times.

Not sure if you can get regular opera on Windows phone, but I found opera mini, which has the added benefit of data compression(if not exactly having full rendering)

http://www.opera.com/mobile/mini/windows

Mobile chrome is based on webkit, I didn't find it in the Windows phone app store, but there is something called chromox for 99 cents. Not sure if it's some kind of chromium build our maybe just designed to look like chrome.

I'd probably go for the opera mini beta if I was you. I don't trust non free, closed source mobile browsers. Who knows what they're keeping tabs on.

If you could find a Windows phone build of chrome or Firefox, they should handle webkit rendering properly. Probably better than Microsoft's mobile engine.

I searched for Firefox, chrome, and chromium for Windows phone and all I came up with was like a skin for Microsoft's browser. I think that chromox is like that, too.

At least the opera looks legit. It's on their website and I read some about it in their forum.

Cheers,
-SB

I'll double check that the battery animation portion is included in the ROM. It's possible that mine was still there from a previous ROM flash and wasn't overwritten by the new ROM.

Don't know if I'll get time to check before next week because I'm pretty busy the next couple days, then going out of town to vegas with my wife's family until next Tuesday.

I'll try though.
Cheers,
-SB

Back
Top Bottom