• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root FINALLY A WORKING JELLY BEAN ROM!! Public release! Update from ICS!

Do you want more dev for this phone or is it time to let it go?

• Total voters
Im glad you got around some of your issues. I havent looked into it much myself and I know nothing about freedompop, but could there be an APN causing the weak signal problems?

As far as file corruption, I think it may be worth atleast checking the MD5 (if its available, I dont remeber if its listed on the download page) Even with a fast connection I had to try several times for certain downloads (not this one , but certain linux distros and such) and the only reason I knew there was corruption was because of a small issue with how the file ran. Went back to the MD5 and saw things were horribly wrong.

I dont think you can make things worse however. You dont have much to lose with trying again. If the file isnt corrupt and the flash got slightly wrecked, all a reflash of the appropriate file will do is fix the problem. It never hurts to flash back to stock as well, just to make sure the issue isnt with the hardware. the n9100 is a great device, but I dont think ive ever seen one device handled by so many carriers! All that hand changing and so quickly has got to make for some sloppy coding somewhere at the proprietary level. If you do go back to stock for trouble shooting purposes thogh (and I think this is mentioned in the OP ) be aware that the firmware radios for JB and ICS are different so you will have to make sure you fix that or the device wont do _____blank task ( phone,wifi, etc).

I am about to go out, but I'll try to remember to make an MD5 hash later and add it to the first post. I recommend using a download manager with built in error correction such as downthemall for Firefox. Not only is it faster(opens many connections in parallel to the server), but it also has built in error correction and ability to pause and restart if the server times out.

As for the freedompop, you will not be able to call out with the android dialer until you install the messaging app. Then it will integrate with the stock dialer. Otherwise you are trying to make a call through Sprint and you will get an error.

I recommend also checking the settings in the messaging app to make sure that it is set to receive phone calls when you are not on Wi-Fi. This requires a partial wakelock so that the network will connect while it is asleep and check for incoming calls.

If you know what you are doing, you might also take a look at which codecs are being used for calls. I changed my codec to one that was not such low quality and now people don't complain near as much about how crappy my phone sounds.

If you pay for voicemail on freedompop, remember to install the voicemail app. It is separate from messaging.

Cheers,
-SB

Well, mostly...

When I try to activate tethering, I get the following message:
"Unable to connect to data network; turning off Hotspot/Tethering. You may not be subscribed to the Hotspot service; please contact your phone company."

I tried looking at the framework-res.apk, but it already has the subscription check disabled. I'm not sure what else could be missing...

I would try using the Wi-Fi tether for root app. I can't say anything about tethering on this ROM because I haven't tested it.

The app I mentioned above is in the Droidsmith force ROM, and you can get it many places on the web.

You may have to fiddle around a bit with the settings to get it going.

Cheers,
-SB

I would try using the Wi-Fi tether for root app. I can't say anything about tethering on this ROM because I haven't tested it.

The app I mentioned above is in the Droidsmith force ROM, and you can get it many places on the web.

You may have to fiddle around a bit with the settings to get it going.

Cheers,
-SB
By TrevE Mod

I have a few issues:

1. I have tried the following options in the Wifi Tether. and successfully got it to tether. Unfortunately, it shuts down shortly afterwards saying my phones takes back control of the wifi interface.

Device Profile:Generic ICS/JB (wlan0)
Setup Method: Net-Ndc (master)
WiFi-driver reload 2

Anyone else have any success?

2. Are there any other recoveries besides:
6.0.3.0 touch
6.0.3.5 non-touch
6.0.4.4 non touch

Which recovery is the best to use?

3. How do you access the bootloader? I have tried holding volume up and the power button when turning on and this just takes me to FTM. I have also tried "reboot bootloader" from the terminal. This just rebooted me to a blank screen. I am use to of accessing recovery and fastboot from the bootloader. I don't know how to fastboot and I can only access recovery by doing "reboot recovery" from terminal.

4. Any other custom roms besides DSF (ICS) and an attempt at cyanogenmod 10 with wifi not working?

Wifi driver reload 1 is what you need

Thanks! That worked. Do you have any suggestions on getting wifi back without rebooting after stopping a successful tether? I have tried manually getting it back to no avail. I have to reboot.

To access recovery you should be able to do adb reboot recovery, or adb reboot-bootloader and then fastboot recovery once you are in bootloader mode. Note, to do this USB debugging must be on.

Also, I recommend installing xposed framework and then install the module for more power options. That way when you choose restart you can select recovery or bootloader if you need to.

Cheers,
-SB

I have a few issues:

1. I have tried the following options in the Wifi Tether. and successfully got it to tether. Unfortunately, it shuts down shortly afterwards saying my phones takes back control of the wifi interface.

Device Profile:Generic ICS/JB (wlan0)
Setup Method: Net-Ndc (master)
WiFi-driver reload 2

Anyone else have any success?

2. Are there any other recoveries besides:
6.0.3.0 touch
6.0.3.5 non-touch
6.0.4.4 non touch

Which recovery is the best to use?

3. How do you access the bootloader? I have tried holding volume up and the power button when turning on and this just takes me to FTM. I have also tried "reboot bootloader" from the terminal. This just rebooted me to a blank screen. I am use to of accessing recovery and fastboot from the bootloader. I don't know how to fastboot and I can only access recovery by doing "reboot recovery" from terminal.

4. Any other custom roms besides DSF (ICS) and an attempt at cyanogenmod 10 with wifi not working?

I personally use 6.0.4.4 non touch, just because it is the latest and has some bug fixes compared to the earlier touch version.

No other ROMs out that I am aware of. Please feel free to use this JB ROM as a starting point if you wish to build a custom ROM.

Cheers,
-SB

I am making a FreedomPop version from your Force 4.1.2 Jellybean.

I tried restoring back to ICS but your method did not work for me. After I flashed the stock recovery and attempted to go into recovery it took me to a blank screen with the red light on. Same thing happens when I try to boot into the bootloader from CWM recovery or su terminal by typing reboot "bootloader". Are you able to access the bootloader on your non FreedomPop phone?

The easiest way to go back to using your ics backup (tested using CWM 6.0.4.4 no-touch):

Download:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sf82i0c2sdpxxb9/ZTEForceICSPartitions.zip?dl=0

Install zip. After complete - DO NOT REBOOT. Wipe cache, wipe dalvik cache and do a factory reset. Now go to 'backup and restore' in recovery and restore your ics backup.

Only issue I had was when I booted back up was it said my google account password was incorrect. I had to input it again. I don't think the backups can retain your passwords (for security purposes).

Much easier than restoring stock recovery and then back to CWM again.

Last edited:
For those of you wondering what that update.zip is (later build number than SAWBONES JB (B11) but it is still ICS 4.0.4:

Software Updates - Sprint Force 4G LTE

Current version:

• N9100V1.0.0B13
Version

Release Date

Description of Enhancements/Fixes

N9100V1.0.0B13 03/26/2014
  • DSA Activation improvements
  • 3G voice improvements
N9100V1.0.0B09 03/01/2013
  • Initial Release

Hi, are there some directions on how to upgrade my ZTE Force (FreedomPop)? First time upgrading a phone. I've done it before on other items like a router.
Thanks!

The dropbox link for the JB ROM is disabled. Is there another source for the file?

Thanks!

THE DROPBOX LINK ON THE FIRST POST HAS BEEN UPDATED. Please let me know if it still isn't working right and I will put up a mirror on Mega.

I am making a FreedomPop version from your Force 4.1.2 Jellybean.

I tried restoring back to ICS but your method did not work for me. After I flashed the stock recovery and attempted to go into recovery it took me to a blank screen with the red light on. Same thing happens when I try to boot into the bootloader from CWM recovery or su terminal by typing reboot "bootloader". Are you able to access the bootloader on your non FreedomPop phone?

Actually I just tried adb reboot-bootloader and got the same result. So i did some research and it turns out that the bootloader is a black screen (I suspected this, because on many phones/android devices it is). Possibly you are more used to the bootloader from HTC, Samsung, etc.

You need to force your phone, in windows, to use the zte drivers instead of whatever other default adb driver you are currently using and then you should be able to run fastboot.

Check out this link here for more info:
http://androidforums.com/threads/guide-checking-your-drivers-and-adb-connection.671861/

and here:
http://androidforums.com/threads/working-soft-brick-fix-for-zte-force.747409/

Also, as a clarification, it is not necessary to reinstall the original bootloader to run the installer update.zip from the boost website. You just need to have a local copy of the original recovery to use with fastboot.

Once you have fastboot working properly in bootloader mode it is then possible to run 'fastboot boot recovery.img' (where recovery.img is the factory recovery). This will boot the original recovery, without installing it, thereby leaving CWM installed. Once the factory recovery boots you can flash the original ICS ROM from the boost site, then you may reboot to the ROM to double check all is working, or you can reboot into the recovery. Doing the last will boot directly to the installed recovery, which is still CWM if you used 'fastboot boot recovery.img' instead of 'fastboot flash recovery recovery.img'.

That will save you the extra steps of having to reinstall CWM and also make it easier to re-root ICS if you plan to stay there.

Cheers!
-SB

EDIT -------------- SEE POST DOWN BELOW ABOUT ERROR IN THIS METHOD

Last edited:
Actually, I made a mistake up there. If you install the Boost update.zip it will replace the recovery that is installed with the one from the factory ICS image.

I think it will work properly if you change the name of your CWM image to recovery.img and overwrite the one inside the factory update.zip. Then the updater-script in the factory update.zip should just reinstall CWM, rather than overwriting it with factory recovery.

If anyone tries this method, please let us know if it works/doesn't work. Thanks!
Cheers,
-SB

Last edited:
Root with Kingo root or any other. Copy the file below to your sd card. Hold down volume down key and power key at the same time you start up the phone. When it vibrates it means it is going to go to recovery. Freedompop already has Clockwork Mod 6.0.3.0 touch recovery on it. Go to restore and backup. Backup to external sd then wipe cache, wipe dalvik cache (advanced menu). wipe data/factory reset, and then install this zip from external sd card.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6y2lu3s5qlen812/ZTE_FORCE_JB_Freedompop.zip?dl=0

Known Issues: (updated 3/21/2015)

1. ICCID in "Settings- About Phone - Status" shows as unknown (cosmetic only)
2. If your not paying FreedomPop for Wi-Fi tether, you can get it for free (will use data limit) using the included Wi-Fi Tether app.

Change Device profile to: Generic ICS/JB (wlan0)
Change Setup Method to: Netd-Ndc (master)
Check WiFi-driver reload (first one only)

These settings allow wifi tether but the only way to get Wi-Fi back after use is to reboot the phone.

Anyone know of any other settings that don't break wifi or wifi tether after 1 use with this program?

If you feel like it, you may upgrade your recovery image to non touch 6.0.4.4. Everything appears to work in it.

http://androidforums.com/threads/recovery-unofficial-cwm-v6-0-4-4.749083/

If you want to go back to an ICS nandroid CWM backup run this zip first to restore the necessary ICS partitions:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sf82i0c2sdpxxb9/ZTEForceICSPartitions.zip?dl=0

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom