• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

First Droid Eris update makes the slow OTA rollout starting tonight

I think something that changed is that you have to start your swipe on or below the gray bar/area instead of being able to swipe anywhere on the screen. Could that be what you're experiencing?

Yes mine does that and I hate it!!! I don't know why they changed this, I couldn't figure out how to turn my alarm clock off this morning...grrrrr

Upvote 0
Both times have been while waking the phone from sleep, I press the End button, the screen comes on, then it is unresponsive. Swiping doesn't wake it, pressing the menu key doesn't wake it, hitting the end button again won't put it back to sleep.

I had a new text message the last time and the trackball continued to light and the LED flashed.

I posted yesterday that I had to pull the battery because my phone froze on the lock screen. The screen would not dim or go off - just completely unresponsive to everything. It's only happened to me once. If it happens again, I'm taking it back for a new one. It never happened before the update. I'm hoping it was just coincidence.

Upvote 0
I got my update last night. I let it run the update by itself, and went to bed. I got up this morning and the phone wouldnt turn on. I had to pull the battery.

After that, everything worked fine. So far, things look good on it. Battery life seems good. Widgets all seem to work. The phone does feel a little snappier.

Upvote 0
Anyone have issues with accepting a call while already on one? I don't think I ran into this before the update... but I tried to answer the new call and the screen was unresponsive. Then the first caller hung up and I couldn't even unlock the phone, it was strange.. ten seconds later and a on/off button press and it came back to life with zero callers on hold.

I tried to use 3 way calling the other day and it seemed like it didn't have the ability to make another call while putting somebody on hold, think thats related to account features from VZW?

Upvote 0
Had no issues with my Eris before the update, had good 3G signal, decent battery life and no bugs at all. I installed the update last night now my phone wont stay in 3G, battery life is worse ( I'm sure thats due to the fluctuating signal) and I cant watch videos through the youtube app. Im not very happy right now!

When is the update to fix the problems the update caused?!?!? :-/

Upvote 0
Had no issues with my Eris before the update, had good 3G signal, decent battery life and no bugs at all. I installed the update last night now my phone wont stay in 3G, battery life is worse ( I'm sure thats due to the fluctuating signal) and I cant watch videos through the youtube app. Im not very happy right now!

When is the update to fix the problems the update caused?!?!? :-/

Glad I didn't update. I was waiting for root but seems like that's not going to happen and considered installing the update.

I am like you were before the update. Everything is good and no problems. So thanks for stepping in front of the train for the rest of us. At least people will not be in such a hurry to update.

Upvote 0
2 Battery pulls. Random times, once right after phone call, complete freeze, needed battery pull.

Also, several episodes of phone hanging up spontaneously.

Neither of these things happened before update, and now they happened more than once in the past few days.

Same here. I've also experienced my screen going dim and not getting bright when I touch it a few times too. I emailed Verizon customer support today and they gave me their 1-800 number to call from a landline. Looks like I'll have to do this tomorrow.

Upvote 0
I think the update is a mixed bag of goodies.

The best thing: Longer battery life - I can go a whole day without having to worry about my phone dying on me.

The worst thing: The display going out while I'm on a call now.

Somewhere in the middle: Having to figure out the new slide to unlock feature. (The grey bar still gives me fits at times.)

Overall, I'm pleased with the update and just hope the firmware update will hit ASAP. (I know I'm looking toward the first part of 2010, but I just can't wait!!)

Upvote 0
Well, I got my replacement Eris yesterday. The update immediate showed up and I installed it. The battery life seems a bit improved although it just still seems a bit too short.

The signal issue still is there. It doesn't fluctuate as bad as before the update but it still does fluctuate. I am at home where I would get full signal or maybe 3 out of 4 bars rarely (W755, Storm 2). On both of the Eris devices, I usually sit at 0 bars. I check the dcb level in the status menu and it would say 0 & 0. I am going to toy with the replacement for a couple days and if nothing changes, I will have Verizon open up a trouble ticket. There is something definitely wrong here.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones