• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

First Droid Eris update makes the slow OTA rollout starting tonight

Mobile network and "Always On Mobile" are two DIFFERENT things!!! I have the "Always on Mobile" off, and I get calls, texts, emails etc. It's located under Settings > Wireless Controls > MOBILE NETWORK SETTINGS > "Enable always-on mobile"

Please don't confuse those 2 ;)

Even if you disable or turn off Mobile Network, you can still make/receive phone calls and texts. By unchecking "Enable always-on mobile", you're essentially letting the phone automatically turn off Mobile Network when your phone goes to sleep.

Upvote 0
Bump on the signal fix issue with the update, anyone know if stabilizes the antenna?

Seems better for me. It seems like my Eris was dropping back and forth between 3G and 1X at my house, but now seems to be stable on 3G.

Also, battery life does seem better. I've been using the phone nearly non-stop since I've been home, including downloading a 150 MB file from via wifi and then copying that file up to my home NAS over wifi. The phone has been off the charger since 6:00 this morning and it just now dropped to orange. It was also off the charger the whole time during the upgrade, which seems like it would be fairly CPU/battery intensive. I can honestly say this is the best I've seen the battery hold up on my device.

Edit: Also, embedded pictures now are visible in GMail e-mails. I don't think that was available before the update.

Upvote 0
I don't understand what about the battery there is to fix. The battery life is what it is, I get a full days use out of mine as long as I'm not using multimedia type apps nonstop.

PS Part of the reason for the small update opposed to the Droids big update is our phone doesn't have nearly as many issues.

I read a post somewhere that said to do this. Each night I would charge full, and then run it down to 10%, then repeated for 10 days. my battery got better each day after day 4 and now goes almost 2 days without hitting the 10% level, and I use the !@#$% out of it all day long. hope this helps.

Upvote 0
someone might have asked this, but, can't you just check for updates on your phone? settings, about phone, check for updates? or does that only let you find an update and you need to be connected to a computer to do the actual updating?

Going into the update menu in the settings doesn't scan for updates, it only list those that have already been made available to your phone. I called about this today, and the tech referred me to an online document

http://support.vzw.com/how_to_use/droid_eris_upgrade.html

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones