• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

First nexus 7 buyers screwed again.

yamamonster600

Well-Known Member
Sucks that this soon Google is dropping the price on the 16gb nexus. I like many of you pre ordered the first nexus 7 and we're screwed by later shipping and people being able to buy in store before our so called pre orders were even shipped. Then found out that everyone got the $25 play store credit. So not only did we have to wait for our shipments we had to pay extra for it.

I think Google should send out some more play store credits, I feel sorry for the people who purchased the 8gb nexus.
 
I bought the 16GB a few weeks ago at full price, so I do feel a little cheated. I still got the $25 credit and the Transformers movie, so its not that bad. But still, I would have liked the extra 16GB of space.
 
I have an 8gig model and while more memory is always better for 200$ I got one hell of a deal and guess what? I've been using it every night this whole time. So yeah I could have waited but why? There is always a better deal down the road but that doesn't help me in the now.... New tech is always going to cost more or at least you get less for the same price but you try time for $ and I needed a tablet for home use....
 
Sucks that this soon Google is dropping the price on the 16gb nexus. I like many of you pre ordered the first nexus 7 and we're screwed by later shipping and people being able to buy in store before our so called pre orders were even shipped. Then found out that everyone got the $25 play store credit. So not only did we have to wait for our shipments we had to pay extra for it.

I think Google should send out some more play store credits, I feel sorry for the people who purchased the 8gb nexus.

Not to mention all the problems that came with the first batch of N7
 
This is the way of the world. No use trying to make Google or Asus out to be some monsters. Take video game consoles for example. Expensive at release, many times suffering from hardware flaws (PS2 laser issues, XBOX 360 red ring of death), eventually issues get fixed, prices start dropping, special holiday bundles come out, etc. Pretty much anything you can purchase ends up seeming like a better deal if you buy it 6 months to a year later, tablets not excluded. If our society wasn't about such rabid consumption, maybe people could wait long enough for devices to be thoroughly tested and approved, but manufacturers know that it's all about getting your product on the shelves as soon as possible and beating the competition. I do feel kind of disappointed that I paid $250 for 16GB not too long ago, but this is far from the first time I've experienced something like this.
 
I agree with the OP. I also wish they had never gone down from the $10,000 price point for plasma TVs. All those early adopters got screwed out of thousands of dollars.
 
I don't feel I got screwed at all this time. I ordered on the announcement day so I was among the bunch that got totally screwed by Google on launch day. No question there. I don't feel like I got screwed at all with this announcement. I didn't feel like I got screwed paying what I paid. I was happy with my N7 last week. It functions the same this week as it did last week. Nothing at all has changed about my device. Why should I feel screwed?
 
I don't regret for a minute my purchase, I and my children love the tablet. I got it during tax free weekend, so when you combine the free $25, free media, and no tax, it is probably pretty close to a wash.
 
Next to nothing is stored locally on my N7 so 8Gb is just fine; and the price was less than the Nook Color I bought last year.
It's a pain that tech is moving SO quickly and prices are dropping SO fast, but it's what's to be expected of early adopters. Even Apple is finally jumping on that train with the refresh of the iPad (10").
Be happy with what you have and don't stress it! :)
 
Don't get me wrong,
I understand how the system goes. Buy on launch day and you expect to pay retail, 90 days later its on sale. But what I don't like is you pre order and give them your payment then they release it in store weeks before they ship out pre orders, Not only did We pay the $249.00 but also the shipping and handling. then come to find out the $25.00 play store was not a bonus of pre-ordering. And yes I am on my third Nexus 7, 1st one had the automatic brightness issues and a few bad pixels, second had screen lift on the right side.

Would I gladly pay $249.00 again for a 16gb, yes but I think Google needs to take some lessons from Crapple about launching a device, I have owned every Nexus device so far except the Nexus S and everyone of them has been a disaster at launch.
 
Get rid of your Nexus 7 and go (pre) order a 16GB iPad Mini for $329 with less pixels. I think you'll feel much better.
 
Have to think too Christmas is right around the corner and that may could be another reason the price slightly dropped. Then again maybe not.

Sent From My Paranoid Evo 3D Using TapaTalk 2
 
TBH I'm just glad to see hardware coming down in price... Its making it more affordable for people and with Google's stamp on it you don't feel like you bought a 3rd party knock off. The 7 (8 gig) was the first tablet I ever owned because I really couldn't justify spending more than 200$ on luxury item. Handy as it may be it's not something I needed in my life...
 
Sucks that this soon Google is dropping the price on the 16gb nexus. I like many of you pre ordered the first nexus 7 and we're screwed by later shipping and people being able to buy in store before our so called pre orders were even shipped. Then found out that everyone got the $25 play store credit. So not only did we have to wait for our shipments we had to pay extra for it.

I think Google should send out some more play store credits, I feel sorry for the people who purchased the 8gb nexus.

This happens all the time. Electronics are a fast moving part of the worldwide economy and profits are made trying to get the best product out first.

That said, if you want a 32 or larger Nex7, just download an app called Stickmount, plug in a really short otg cable with a 90 degree connector and add whatever size micro USB thumb drive. If you are going on a long trip and want a ton of music and movies, just store it on your thumb drive and plug in as desired. See below for my setup. I circled the external drive showing up:
 

Attachments

  • 1351617429313.png
    1351617429313.png
    389.7 KB · Views: 215
I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little bummed out to hear about the new 32gb version being the same price as my 16gb N7 so soon. Obviously the resale value of mine just took a major hit. The good thing is I have no plans to resell it. I no longer have to lug my heavy laptop around as the N7 has completely replaced it. I'm also finding that because I don't have an entire music library or a bunch of movies stored onboard I'll probably never use the 16gb I already have. Heck, I still haven't used 2gb yet and I've got a bunch of apps installed. If I had a genuine need for 32gb I'd probably be pissed but I'm so happy with what I have that I just accept that prices are going to continue to drop. I just try not to pay much attention to it and keep enjoying what I've got.

Joe
 
Changing my post to say: After upgrading from an iPod Touch 32 gig, I love it and my eyes appreciate it! I'm thrilled with the price that I ended up paying although I would have rather had 32 gigs instead of 16 and if I had known, I would have waited since I just made the plunge 2 weeks ago.
 
Well since its really just a difference of $25 if you include the play credit I would say (gently :b ) get over it. Its only $25 bucks. They could have charged $299 for the tablet so you win overall by google's pricing strategy.

Being the first adopter you are paying extra to be that first adopter. Those 3 months basically was opportunity cost and it cost $25. The fact that you got to use it before others (presumably that is the reason why early adopters are so hell bent on getting a device before waiting), to you that cost was justified so you went and purchased it asap. Everybody knows the price of tech products drop fast so when you bought it you willingly bought it at those terms. We all want everything for nothing. We want to be the first to get a shiny item but at the same time we don't want it to be cheaper until we are totally bored of the shiny item and move on to the next shiny item. Its a little bit pride and a little bit unconscious selfishness.

Now for perspective consider higher priced items like a house. People in northern ca paid $700k for some condos at the peak of housing. 3 years later that condo went for $450k. Thats a lot more than $25. Pretty much housing in any part of the country can produce similar examples whereby the buyer could have saved a lot more money if they waited. Some can't wait so they had no choice and they are ok with it because of opportunity cost.
 
The price was always going to come down eventually but certainly soon than I expected.
I don't feel robbed at all. Had mine since release (give or take an RTM or two) and I still think it's easily worth the money I spent.

I went for the 16GB and I'm still happy with it and haven't filled up the space.
Had a 32GB version been available at the time I would have gone for that but I certainly won't be upgrading for it.

I am slightly disappointed to see a 3g version though and wonder why they couldn't have brought that out earlier but ho-hum.
 
Screwed is a little bit of an overreaction in my opinion. I bought my 16gb N7 from Gamestop for a considerably low price (they had a special where if you traded in 10 video games, you got about $100+ off) and the way I look at it, I got to tinker and use it 4 months ahead of time vs. someone who will be buying it now for about $50 less. Plus the $25 Google Play credit really helped. You also gotta realize that tech is evolving rapidly. It happened with my Asus laptop. I bought it last year for about $899 with all the bells and whistles and in less than 6 months, it's now $699. A $200 difference, now that's 'screwed' (ha ha)
 
I don't feel like I got screwed. I got my 16 GB the first couple of days it was released. Now that the 32 GB has come out, I am selling my 'old' one for the 'new' one. No hard feelings here. :)

If you feel you got screwed, just imagine what the 3rd Gen iPad owners feel. :D
 
I don't feel ripped off or anything for buying the 8GB for $200. There's always that risk for being an early adapter, but I've enjoyed the extra time I wouldn't have had with it if I'd waited for the 16GB price drop, the space is more than enough thanks to Stick Mount, and the $25 credit and free movie was nice too (too bad it's only Transformers 3).
 
I also preordered. but have no regets. I use mine daily and it has run flawlessly. I have already gotten my money's worth. I had a 32gb Galaxy Tab that was mainly filled with video files. Now I keep most of my videos on a usb drive. I sold the GTab and have been quite happy with the N7. Now if they changed to a faster processor, rear camera and MicroSD I would have to upgrade. I am good for now. Screwed or ripped off? Nope
 
I bought 8gb. in July for $216–$25 = total $191. If you buy nexus 7 today you're not getting $25 credit, right?

Even if you buy 8gb today for $149 + tax = roughly $163 + $25 worth of apps which we've got for free you looking at $188 total. Pheww 3 bucks difference... don't feel like screwed :-)
 
Back
Top Bottom