• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root flashing recovery in terminal emulator

has any one done it i've been trying but it always gives me an error ether cant find flash image or permission denied even when in su mode

I've done it... In fact that's the only way i have really done it...

it should go
su
flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery_image_name
the easiest way would just rename the recovery image
recovery.img
and put it on the root of the sd card then type
su
flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img
into the terminal emulator.
Make sure ur rooted and have superuser installed as well

Reactions: xxjahasotoxx
Upvote 0
has any one done it i've been trying but it always gives me an error ether cant find flash image or permission denied even when in su mode

Are you using CM7? Verify flash_image is on your phone. On one of my phones I had to d/l first, install into system/bin and then set permissions. Once I did that, I got a different error msg containing the word "stop" but found it had flashed successfully. There is also a thread devoted to this topic.

Upvote 0
Are you using CM7? Verify flash_image is on your phone. On one of my phones I had to d/l first, install into system/bin and then set permissions. Once I did that, I got a different error msg containing the word "stop" but found it had flashed successfully. There is also a thread devoted to this topic.

yeah i'm trying it on miui however i have a friend that just bought a triumph he doesn't have a pc to actually install the cwm recovery through, i believe its called download mode, so he asked me if there's any way to do it on his phone.

i figured if i could do it on mine, it might work on his.

it seems that it all depends on the rom or maybe even kernel you're using. if you could tell me what you mean by install into system/bin, like just copy the "flash_image" file not the recovery right?

Upvote 0
sorry for double posting but i do still need help I've installed the flash_image file and gave it the necessary permissions. however when i go into the terminal and type

$su
#flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img

i gives me this:
error scanning partitions

any ideas or clues as to how I can fix this

Upvote 0
wow. on the triumph, you dont have to do ANY of that.

just boot the phone into download mode, connect to a PC, and the internal storage will show the same way a flash drive does. just drag the new recovery, rename it to recovery.img, rename the old one something else, and when the phone reboots it thinks the custom recovery is the normal one.

no adb, no terminal, no hassle, no fuss.

Upvote 0
wow. on the triumph, you dont have to do ANY of that.

just boot the phone into download mode, connect to a PC, and the internal storage will show the same way a flash drive does. just drag the new recovery, rename it to recovery.img, rename the old one something else, and when the phone reboots it thinks the custom recovery is the normal one.

no adb, no terminal, no hassle, no fuss.

yeah i'm trying it on miui however i have a friend that just bought a triumph he doesn't have a pc to actually install the cwm recovery through, i believe its called download mode, so he asked me if there's any way to do it on his phone.

i figured if i could do it on mine, it might work on his.

it seems that it all depends on the rom or maybe even kernel you're using. if you could tell me what you mean by install into system/bin, like just copy the "flash_image" file not the recovery right?

Enough said.

Upvote 0
Yeah there is no partition on our phone lankest recovery which is why it can't flash it. Flash image won't work on our phones!

The recovery lies on a fat partition at /dev/block/mmcblk0p1 that must first be mounted as a fat partition then the recovery.Ingram copied o er to this partition. Easiest way is download mode and it mounts it on the computer, or place your recovery in a cwm fladhabke zip I have made for this phone and flash it. No need to make it any more complicayed than it is. That is the way you mess stuff up!!

Reactions: xxjahasotoxx
Upvote 0
Yeah there is no partition on our phone lankest recovery which is why it can't flash it. Flash image won't work on our phones!

The recovery lies on a fat partition at /dev/block/mmcblk0p1 that must first be mounted as a fat partition then the recovery.Ingram copied o er to this partition. Easiest way is download mode and it mounts it on the computer, or place your recovery in a cwm fladhabke zip I have made for this phone and flash it. No need to make it any more complicayed than it is. That is the way you mess stuff up!!

thanks, that is all i needed to know i'll tell my friend to just find a pc or come over which i know ain't gonna happen

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones