• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

For those of you who don't use a case, how has the body held up?

blahblahyoutoo

I have a TPU case on mine and everytime I take it off for cleaning, the GNex just feels so much more sleek and sexy.
I'm tempted to just leave it off but I'm afraid the cheap Samsung plastic won't hold up well to nicks and scratches.

I keep mine is pristine condition, still no scratches on the screen despite not using a screen protector.

How has it been for you guys?

Bought mine on release day, put a screen protector on it and haven't looked back. I keep it in my pocket all the time but just make sure I don't put keys or change in the same pocket (easy to do since the phone is so big anyway). I've dropped it once or twice, but not on anything that would really do any damage...carpet and hardwood floors..no concrete, yet. Still looks brand new.

Badly.. it's nicked along the plastic bezel, plus some of my headphone plugs have dealt damage to the bezel around the 3.5mm port. It also clicks, and the screen is loose. I could replace it, but I'm planning on getting something better eventually anyway. Probably a Lumia, since I've held one and though it was pretty heavy it felt solid as a Nokia should be.

If you aren't careful with it, any phone will get worse for the wear over time. I would venture to guess this wouldn't hold up to the beating my Droid took, but then again, I take really good care of this phone and it's held up well for 10 months now.

Got mine on release day and only put on a screen cover. If you had my phone and a brand new one in your hand, I think you'd struggle to guess which is which.

Got mine day. No cover, no problem. I do work in an office environment and live in a big city, so most of the time it's in my sport coat pocket, not my jeans pocket.

I almost never put a case on it except two times.
1. When I go to play basketball and leave it sitting on the bleachers and worry about someone knocking it on the floor.
2. Sitting by the pool

I didn't used to put the case on it if I was sitting outside, but then my wife decided to pick up my phone and dropped it on the concrete. It landed on a bottom corner so there's a little scrape on the plastic but no other damage. I also have a screen protector on. There is some very minor scuffing on the plastic around the phone but nothing you'd notice if you weren't looking for it.

Personally, I don't like having a case on it and it makes it more difficult to get it in and out of my pocket.

I had my TPU case and screen protector on it for a few months, but one day I took them both off and haven't looked back since. I take fanatical care of the screen and make sure to get all smudges and oils rubbed off ASAP. I've dropped the phone only a couple times, thankfully. One corner does have a very very tiny crack; however, other than that, there's been no damage to the body from contact with the ground.

I've used a pouch for about 4 months now. Bought it off amazon for about $30. It has a strap that pulls the phone out of the pouch because it's a snug fit. The phone looks too nice to stick it in a bulky case. Feels better in the hand as well.

Definitely depends on the person. I'm very careful and have yet to put any scratches or dings on it.

It has held up not so well, I do get a bit careless with it though. The corners are chewed up from drops on concrete/gravel. The bottom left corner of the glass has a crack that looks like a shockwave pulsing from the corner out. It stops right on the edge of the actual screen thank goodness. Random dings around the body and a 2 inch hairline scratch towards the top of the screen. Whoops a daisy:o

If you aren't careful with it, any phone will get worse for the wear over time. I would venture to guess this wouldn't hold up to the beating my Droid took, but then again, I take really good care of this phone and it's held up well for 10 months now.

By careful, you mean not dropping it, right? No phone should be chipped or otherwise damaged just from being put into a pocket, but mine is. This is why I'm looking forward to seeing LG's build.

I've had mine for six months now and all this time without a case - the only concession I've made is to have a Martin Fields screen protector on it.

When I'm moving around I have the phone either in my jeans or my coat pocket and never with anything placed in the same pocket. I'll put it in the car in the centre console (cupholder) or in a cradle when I'm using Sat-Nav.

I don't have a single scratch or crack on it and certainly do not have a phobia on the matter. However, like some have mentioned on here, I generally take care of my stuff. If you 'chuck it around' it won't matter whether you have a case or not, it will have marks or cracks sooner or later.

I also have just a Zagg invisibleshield... The phone has held up well, I do have a few nicks and dings on the corners, as well as on the backplate from drops, but the finish is still pristine, no wear at all.

Never had a screen protector on it and my screen is day 1 flawless.

The two bottom corners are rubbed sort of black which is probably from putting it in and taking it out of my Seidio spring clip holster. Other than that it's fine.

pretty well actually. i would say apart from the scrapes around the USB port and the bottom "Hump" from coming in and out of my dock, it has held up really well. but i am very careful with my phones. i have dropped this on my tile floor 2 times, never on concrete.
but i am actually pretty happy with the durability of it. and zero scratches on the screen...been completely naked since day 1 except when i travel (which isn't much)

Extremely well.

I should note that I broke the plastic over the camera a few months ago but ordered a new “rear housing unit” from ebay and it’s like new now. The piece actually encompasses everything on the side and back of the phone.. it’s like a brand new phone now. But prior to replacing that piece, very minimal scratches and scuffs.. and I did drop it a couple times. I blame the booze.

I never use a screen protector, I like the screen without it. As for a case, I never liked cases. But you really need to be careful, sometimes all it takes is one drop, and it is curtains for your phone.

Got mine on release day, no case or screen protector. The body of the phone is flawless (a miracle considering what it has gone through with my kids) but I do have a few barely noticeable hairline scratches. I had a screen protector on my last phone and it also had some hairline "indents" and I never took it off. To me, the little indents on my screen protector are no worse than the tiny hairline scratches that I have now. Using the phone with just the glass is way worth the risk IMO.

We'll see how it holds up through next year. I'll be keeping my insurance for another 6 months or so just in case.

Mine has only had a screen protector from the first day of ownership on release day. It always rides in my front pocket and is always the only thing in that pocket. The only wear mine has is the silver rim on the top of the phone is dotted black where the silver has either chipped off or rubbed off. I consider myself a very careful user that doesn't abuse his phone so I'm not sure where these nicks came from.

Back