• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Formated whole phone not realizing phone was rooted

dougncin

I bought a EVO on craigslist and didn't realize it was rooted and I did a total wipe on phone and now it is stuck in a reboot cycle. It turns on goes to a screen saying HTC Quietly brilliant with brilliant being scribbled out then reboots over and over. I don't care if it is rooted or back to normal stock.
Thanks in advance
Doug

SPRINT HTC EVO

UNLOCKED
SUPERSONIC EVT3 SHIP S-ON
HBOOT-2.18.0001
MICROP-041f
TOUCH PANEL-ATMEL224_16ab
RADIO-2.15.000.12.19
DEC 21 2011,12:50:32

Welcome dougncin!
Are you able to select the recovery option from the bootloader screen?
If so, we can get a rom flashed to it.

When you say you did a total wipe of the phone, how exactly did you do it? Via recovery?

Thanks Mikestony for helping

I did a wipe in the android software and included sd card. the card is completely blank. I can get into recovery

Doug

Thanks Mikestony for helping

I did a wipe in the android software and included sd card. the card is completely blank. I can get into recovery

Doug

Well that's good that you are able to get into recovery!!
Now do you know what recovery it is?
In the recovery screen, does it say somewhere "CWM" or "clockworkmod" or "AmonRa" or something like that?

What we will end up doing, is putting a rom on your sd card, then flashing it.

Nice! Good recovery...
The rom below, MikG, is the rom we will flash.
Download that rom to your computer.
Then, we need to get it onto the sd card.
There are 2 ways to do that.
Either take the sd card out, put it into a card reader, put it into your computer to transfer the downloaded rom onto.
Or, while in recovery, plug your phone into your computer, find the option in recovery "usb-ms" and push the power button to select that option. That will mount your sd card so you can transfer the rom to it. After the transfer, push power again to unmount. Then follow the instructions. (obviously skip step 2 since we just did that)
Note--the superwipe is not a rom as explained below..it is just a wipe aid.

1.first you need the vr superwipe (this is not a rom. this is a file that wipes your sytem partitions and also wipes all the temp files as well:ZZZVR_SUPERWIPE.zip. download it and put it on your card. (optional)*
2.download the rom (i recommend MikG v3.11 [3/9/2012]) of your choice and transfer it to your card.
3.go into recovery--you should already be in it.
4.make a nandroid backup--don't worry about that...there is nothing to back up
5.select wipe from the main menu and wipe dalvik cache, cache, and data
6.select flash zip from sdcard
7.find the superwipe file and select it.(optional)
8.find your rom and select it.
9.reboot.

first boot will take a bit longer then normal, so be patient.

My edits are in bold up there:)

If you have a question before starting this, just ask ok.? :)

OK getting closer I have the rom on the phone but the touch screen isn't very responsive. Not enough to pull the ring to unlock screen. It worked before I formatted phone.

OK getting closer I have the rom on the phone but the touch screen isn't very responsive. Not enough to pull the ring to unlock screen. It worked before I formatted phone.

ok try going back into recovery and wipe dalvik cache and cache and see if that helps. it could be a bad flash(it happens sometimes). go back into recovery and wipe dalvik cache and cache and re-flash the rom.

I tried 2 different roms and get same results. I wiped the dalvik cache and cache. Non responsive screen

sometimes when you flash a rom something might happen where it does not flash right. if you only wipe dalvik cache, cache and re-flash the same rom then it usually fixes the issue.

now, if you try a different rom then you need to do a full wipe...meaning you need to wipe not only dalvik cache and cache, but also data and system (and flashing the superwipe.zip which is optional would not hurt as well) then flash a different rom.

What 2 roms did you try? Different roms come with different kernels.
Your screen is unresponsive to your touches? As in totally unresponsive? Or just certain areas?

I think my kernel is bad by reading the forum. I just need to figure out how to replace the current one.
not sure why you mean by this. when you flash a rom, the kernel that is cooked into the rom will get flashed as well. now unless you fashed a custom kernel to replace the one that it came with then that is a different story.

and also just curious as to why you came to that conclusion?

It seem there is just a very small part of the screen that seems to be working. noticed the buttons on the bottom of the screen don't work either. everything worked before I wiped the SD card

It seem there is just a very small part of the screen that seems to be working. noticed the buttons on the bottom of the screen don't work either. everything worked before I wiped the SD card

ok but that does not necessarily mean that it is the kernel....so what rom are you on now? did you try wiping and re-flashing of the rom?

I first did the rom that was suggested here then I found a stock rom but both were screen not responsive. I have done the superwipe each time I have done a rom change.

BTW Thanks for helping

I first did the rom that was suggested here then I found a stock rom but both were screen not responsive. I have done the superwipe each time I have done a rom change.

BTW Thanks for helping

ok so when i say wipe i mean going into recovery and select wipe from the main screen and then wipe dalvik cache, cache, data(factory reset), and system. after you wipe then you can flash the superwipe and then you can flash the rom.

I am going to download another one but I done 3 with all the same result. I don't know how it was rooted before. What could it be if it isn't the rom?

Back
Top Bottom