• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Free Hotspot on Nexus One making it tough to jump to Evo Ship

I can't verify this, but check out this quote from this thread LINK

You where paying for the service, the fcc said you can not say internet access then limit what they use the service for. If comcast had a bittorrent service addon, then it would be equal to tethering.

There is a difference between using a service fullying and routing a service so you do not have to pay.

especially difficult if you're in the new hspa+ areas....speeds better than sprints wimax

I would really love for you to prove that. That for the average consumer hspa+ will even be equal to wimax.

Upvote 0
don't you know that a lot of people in this world dont' follow forums? people who don't follow forums or tech related news won't even know the difference between Froyo and Esclair and which offers what. Therefore, a lot of people who are average consumers would think that they need to pay $30 bucks. Sprint is basically making money on those people who are willing to pay or are paying because they don't know that there are other options available for people to use.

as for the OP, you don't need to jump ship. but i don't understand why someone wouldn't. the screen is a gem. the overall build quality is awesome and it's one of the most feature filled phones in America to this date.

Reactions: JunBringer
Upvote 0
I pre-ordered my Evo. I was debating on getting the $30 add on for Wifi. Now that the Nexus one was updated with Froyo I am wondering if I still want to jump ship to the Evo? I know that Evo will get Froyo but when and if it does, what if Sprint disables the HotSpot option? Paying Sprint $30 dollars a month more for something Google is giving you free is very discouraging.

I love my Nexus one but that 4.3 screen & 4g coverage is killing me. And now paying an extra $30 per month for the Evo... hmmm.... Nexus one is becoming more and more attractive.

Anywone else stuck in my dilemma? Would you still jump ship to Sprint? Froyo is so darn FAST, made my Nexus fly! :eek:

Just because google bundled the software into the OS shouldn't make it a free feature. After, it's not google's data network your using it on, now is it?

Also, another "Theft of services" act is taking a cab and trying to ditch it without paying =P

Upvote 0
Dude, stick withe N1 -- If you need the hotspot, it's not worth paying $40 bucks extra a month just to have the Evo. At least to me it isn't.

The N1 has the same CPU, you can add Sense if you want, AND has an upgraded Android platform. You say the Evo will have 2.2 soon? Shit... yeah right, look at the what happened to the Instinct, the Moment, Hero... Sprint will drag their feet for sure. And even then, Sprint will not hesitate to strip the hotspot feature out of the software.

Stay with the N1 bro.

Upvote 0
Dude, stick withe N1 -- If you need the hotspot, it's not worth paying $40 bucks extra a month just to have the Evo. At least to me it isn't.

The N1 has the same CPU, you can add Sense if you want, AND has an upgraded Android platform. You say the Evo will have 2.2 soon? Shit... yeah right, look at the what happened to the Instinct, the Moment, Hero... Sprint will drag their feet for sure. And even then, Sprint will not hesitate to strip the hotspot feature out of the software.

Stay with the N1 bro.

Sprint isn't responsible for updates. The manufacturers are. And how can you port sense to another platform? I haven't seen it done yet?

Upvote 0
Just my 2c...

I believe the FCC blurb above is valid. If Sprint is offering "unlimited internet access" then it's unlimited internet access, period. They give you one end of a pipe hooked up to your phone and it's up to you to decide how to route it. Continuing this terrible analogy just because Sprint charges you $30 a month for the valve necessary to route your internet to your laptop doesn't mean you can' go out and buy the same value from your local home improvement store and use it instead.

This is not theft of service. This is the same as buying a TV with a digital tuner built in and accessing the digital cable channels you already purchased.

(btw.. it's easy to make these analogies fit your viewpoints. I'm in favor of an internet-wide ban on analogies that try to translate digital concepts to brick and mortor record stores and different plumbing fixtures.. but if you can't beat them might as well join 'em)

The $30 service fee in my opinion is more for the application itself.

Also... native 4G support should not be difficult and should probably work right out of the box for most WiFi apps. If Android has a TCP/IP stack anywhere close to linux it's just a matter of tossing some routing rules into the tables and letting the data route itself. The WiFi app might take a more involved roll but in the end the 3G and 4G interfaces will look the same to any data application.

Upvote 0

Stay with the N1 bro.

HTC has already said they expect 2.2 to hit in July. It's a lot less complex process to go from 2.1 to 2.2 on a powerful phone like the EVO. This isn't taking a hacked-up 1.5 on ancient Hero hardware and trying to convert everything to 2.1. Not only that, but that EVO has been rooted, and it will get its updates in a timely manner, and that will include free tethering! So if you're using a process that requires a rooted device to justify staying with the N1, just remember that the EVO is right there with it as far as development goes.

Upvote 0
I was excited with tethering until they charged $30 for it. I won't be able to use it that much since I rarely bring my laptop out of my home hence not worth the extra premium. I was hoping that the $10 premium included the hotspot capability. Oh well, let's see if I make the most out of this phone or return this within 30 days for the N1 and $59.99 monthly premium with T-Mo which includes the hotspot already.

Upvote 0
especially difficult if you're in the new hspa+ areas....speeds better than sprints wimax

Don't buy into that. There's a rather good article(recent) on engadget that debunks this claim, and even att,(someone who is also deploying hspa+) came against tmobile publicly for lying to customers. What tmobile is doing is comparing bes ccase hspa+ scenario with worst case wimax scenario. Hardly a fair comparision. Also, hspa+ is much more susceptible to network congestion and breakdowns due to network crowding. For a great reference on that, see att and their nyc problems.

Upvote 0
Ok, if the answer is just rooting the new EVO I can handle that, at least try. Does anyone have insight on the best place to get instructions on rooting the EVO? I'm looking for the Rooting for Dummies 101 type of instructions. Anyone has experience with easy rooting and then what wireless tethering to install? :thinking:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones