• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Free wifi tether? Oh yes.. here's how

For the folks having problems: Turn accesscontrol off. I believe that to be a whitelist--without specifically adding your computer to the access list, it will not be able to connect.

New non expiremental version 2.0.2.apk version just posted a few hours ago....works great!

Connected my laptop via 4G:

2.65 Mb/s download
1.03 Mb/s upload
88ms ping

All while talking on my evo!

So, what are the chances of Sprint killing this? When I was on the phone arguing with Retention about the $10 dollar "EVO tax" the subject of me being outright lied to by a Sprint Rep who told me that for the $10 dollars, we got wired tethering, came up.

I made a comment like owell, screw it, wired tethering works with Easy Tether and Tethering via wifi has been achieved via Super User access so I wasn't paying $29.99 a month for something I was lied to about.

The Rep snapped back at me that all methods to buy pass paying for the wireless and wired tethering would be short lived, the network admins were working on closing the loop holes.

I mentioned I was within my 30 days to return the phone and they might be loosing a 10 plus year customer and hung up.

SO that said. Think them closing the loops true and possible?

I think Sprint sees the EVO as there new big profits item. They want to tax and force everyone to pay for every single thing they can.

I'm 10+ year sprint customer, my wifes an 8+ Verizon customer and the HTC Incredible is looking better on a family plan every day I have to stew about it.

They might be able to temporarily close loopholes (and that's a big "might"), but I don't think that they can stop the Android community. We're just too damn good.

Alright, it seems to be working and I believe there was a problem with my SuperUsers Permissions, I reinstalled the Unrevoked apk and ran it to root the phone again and it's working fine.

This is great. I followed the easy steps on the first page of this thread and its working flawlessly. My cousin is on his iPhone across the office from me, and he is tethering off my Evo's 3G connection. (not that he needs to, but we are just testing it out)

Thanks again !

Confirmed to work on Wimax using wifi tether.

A lot of the folks on the thread note "the speed was slow". What exactly does that mean -- is this approach leading to slower tethering speeds, or is it just that you're tethering to 3G or that the EVO's Wifi radio isn't fast enough to create a very robust hotspot?

A lot of the folks on the thread note "the speed was slow". What exactly does that mean -- is this approach leading to slower tethering speeds, or is it just that you're tethering to 3G or that the EVO's Wifi radio isn't fast enough to create a very robust hotspot?

I cannot answer your questions, but i can tell you that i only performed a handful of tests using speedtest.net (from my PC while tethered). However speed test does track the IP address your computer is connected to, and that IP address matched the 4G IP address located in the EVOs settings menu. I can say that speeds unfortunately seemed 3Gish, because when i ran the same test from my EVO using the same web site (whilst mainting the phone in the same test location for those who may ask) the 4G speeds recorded on the device were substantially higher. /Shrug.

Here is what I got on my laptop, tethering to my Evo, on 3G. I had about 2-3 bars of service on the phone at the time...

842333052.png

The numbers seem real low...but using it to navigate the androidforums was pretty quick.... :cool:

Okay so belay my last...I decided to redo my root via the toast method and that went all well and good, but the previously discussed tether app won't work and I get an SU message. My question, as n00b as it may be, is will it mess up the toast root to put in the unrEVOked root as well to make the tether work? Or does anyone have any suggestions for the tether with toast?

Works for me! Just had the laptop and Ipod touch connected. Only little gotcha was after I first installed, it didn't work. So, I decided to reboot the phone. After the phone came back up, all was well.

Awesome!

New non expiremental version 2.0.2.apk version just posted a few hours ago....works great!

Connected my laptop via 4G:

2.65 Mb/s download
1.03 Mb/s upload
88ms ping

All while talking on my evo!

Those are some nice numbers. I get about 1.7 down and .7 up on 4g in chicago using the 2.0.2.apk.

I was hoping for higher, but I suppose it works in a pinch. I'm posting from my tether right now.

I can't seem to get tether to work without the 4g switched on. Any ideas what might be wrong? No mater what I try, i can't seem to connect to the internet without my 4g widget switched on. Thanks for any advice.

Those are some nice numbers. I get about 1.7 down and .7 up on 4g in chicago using the 2.0.2.apk.

I was hoping for higher, but I suppose it works in a pinch. I'm posting from my tether right now.

I can't seem to get tether to work without the 4g switched on. Any ideas what might be wrong? No mater what I try, i can't seem to connect to the internet without my 4g widget switched on. Thanks for any advice.

ugh...i've been on wifi since i got the phone....just realized my 3g wasn't on. Now i know why i've been getting such good battery life...

works great other than my ping sucks avg 300-500 no matter what and i tested about 30 servers and tampa is the closest to where i actually live

I installed Easy Tether on to my cell phone and followed the directions. But when connected with my PC (Windows 7 - 64Bit), I don't see devices to chose from on the EasyTether icon in the connection tray. However, when a friends w/my PC, I was able to tether. But not w/my phone. Any insight? I would really appreciate any clues.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom