• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Froyo 3G problems

I got an email back from VZW about two weeks after I reported the problem originally. They claimed there is no problem with their towers and the issue is with my phone. They said I need to go to the store and re-apply the update or get my phone replaced for the second time. No thanks. My now rooted phone running the 2.07 radio doesn't have any issues. A replacement phone they sent me had the problem right out of the box. That indicates to me that the issue is the update.

Upvote 0
Hello,

This is not a question, it is a statement. After the 2.2 update to the HTC Incredible, there is a loss of 3g coverage after any reboot. The only work around seems to be toggling Airplane mode on, then back off. This seems to work better on some radios than others.

This is NOT a single phone issue. I have multiple friends that own the Incredible and they are ALL experiencing this issue. I've gone into the local store and spoken to 4 different representatives NONE of whom have heard of this problem.

Are we sweeping it under the rug?

Its clearly a software issue with the 2.2 update. Many of my friends who own the Incredible have been given replacement phones in hopes that it will resolve the 3g issue, but it never does. This points to a software problem.

Its okay if there is a software issue, whats not okay is Verizon's blatant denial of the problem. Sending replacement phones to appease the customer of a software issue? That's a HUGE inconvenience!

A response would be nice, but honestly isn't expected. I, as an over 6 year customer, would just like to report a problem and see it addressed.

Thank you in advance for your prompt attention to this matter.
Paul

this is the email that i just sent Verizon. Lets see what turns up.

Upvote 0
Any follow up on this issue? I'm also encountering it each time I restart my phone.

I'm able to solve it by turning Airplane mode on, waiting up to a minute for it to take effect, then turning it back off. I've figured out that I only have the 3G issue once per phone restart. If I restart my phone to do something like a nandroid backup, I will encounter the 3g issue again until I do the airplane mode fix.

My phone's been up 5 days straight after the airplane fix without a single 3G issue, since I haven't restarted it. I guarantee if I restart my phone to do a nandroid backup or something, I'll encounter the issue once again. Definitely has to be a software issue, as my brother is experiencing the same thing.

Upvote 0
Ok, so I explained my issue (from this thread here: http://androidforums.com/1670875-post1.html) via HTC's support page, and got the following response:

Thank you for your response. I understand how important it is for your device to function properly and I apologize for any inconvenience and frustration this has caused you. You will need to speak with your carrier to inquire if they can reprovision your account. If this does not alleviate your issue, you will need to perform a factory reset. If there is a software glitch that is keeping your device from connecting to 3G, the factory reset will alleviate this issue. Please note that this procedure will delete all personal data, customizations, and files from your DROID Incredible, so be sure to perform a full backup prior to beginning. 1. With the phone turned off, press and hold the VOLUME DOWN button, and then briefly press the POWER button. 2. Wait for the screen with the 3 Android images to appear, and then release the VOLUME DOWN button. 3. Press VOLUME DOWN to select CLEAR STORAGE, and then press POWER. 4. When asked to confirm, press VOLUME UP. If resetting the device is too difficult by pressing so many buttons at once, you can also reset the phone by formatting the phone storage. 1. Go to the “Settings” menu 2. Select “SD Card and Phone Storage” 3. Select “Factory Data Reset” 4. Choose to “Reset phone” or “Reset phone & Internal Storage” If the factory reset does not alleviate the issue, this tells us that there may be something physically wrong with the device and needs to be repaired. You will need to speak to the HTC America Warranty & Repair Center for more information on having your device repaired. Their contact information is 1.800.229.1235 Monday – Friday 8:30 A.M. – 5:00 P.M. ET. They will be able to answer any questions you have about the warranty and repair process.
Sounds like more BS.

Doc

Upvote 0
Any follow up on this issue? I'm also encountering it each time I restart my phone.

I'm able to solve it by turning Airplane mode on, waiting up to a minute for it to take effect, then turning it back off. I've figured out that I only have the 3G issue once per phone restart. If I restart my phone to do something like a nandroid backup, I will encounter the 3g issue again until I do the airplane mode fix.

My phone's been up 5 days straight after the airplane fix without a single 3G issue, since I haven't restarted it. I guarantee if I restart my phone to do a nandroid backup or something, I'll encounter the issue once again. Definitely has to be a software issue, as my brother is experiencing the same thing.

I flashed the 2.07 radio which worked for me. I know it's not an ideal fix for everyone, but that ended up solving my problems.

Upvote 0
This weekend for the first time I found my phone not being able to access the internet despite being in areas with plenty of service. I tried powering the phone off and a battery pull and it seemed to work for a bit before the issue came up again

then it did it today again. In the middle of new york city. I should have plenty of service but it's not holding it. I'd rather not have to reset my phone every 2 hours just to be able to be online.

The wifi works no problem but the 3g service is just not happening...

i thought i read somewhere that PDANet sometimes causes this, is that true? should I just delete it? is there a better wired tethering option?

is it something else? is my phone being defective?
help!

Upvote 0
I've tried *228 multiple times. Calling verizon seems to be the only answer. I've searched all over to see if anyone else has had this problem and couldn't find anything.

Which is bull crap..because I called 4-5 times about it and last time was told HTC and Verizon both knows about it and are working on a fix.

I believe it's a TOWER issue......because I lose 3g when I switch between towers.

Upvote 0
That's interesting because I came to the conclusion that it's a radio issue and not a tower issue. I could stand in one place and reboot the phone and would lose 3G every other reboot which to me implied that the tower was fine. When I flashed the 2.05 radio on my phone the problem went away. I had the problem with every other radio I tried except for 2.05 and the 1.x radio. Of course with the 1.x radio the camera doesn't work so that's not a viable option.

Upvote 0
Just an update on my findings.

To summarize my previous post:
Issue occurs only 1 time per phone restart. Airplane mode on then back off fixes it until next phone restart. I've encountered the issue on all 3 of the following radios (haven't tried earlier versions while running Froyo): 2.07.00.07.16, 2.15.00.07.28, 2.15.00.09.01.

New findings:
I've noticed the issue seems to occur when the phone is using 3G, switches to 1X to receive/send a text, and has to switch back to 3G. On the last step, where it attempts to switch back to 3G, is where I've noticed the issue seems to occur most.

Again, the airplane mode fix seems to work every time thus far. I definitely feel that it's a radio issue, and not a tower issue. For one, I never had the issue before the Froyo update (and therefore, all three radio baseband versions listed above). Second, the issue occurs at different locations (40 miles apart), utilizing different towers. Third, after applying the airplane mode fix, I don't encounter the issue again unless I restart my phone.

Edit: I've been running the 2.05 radio for the past few days and it seems to have fixed the issue for me as well.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones