• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Galaxy Nexus Watering Hole

Maybe I'm just dumb, but I can't for the life of me get widgets to show up in the widget menu right after installation from the market. Is there some way to force a refresh? Eventually they do show up, maybe hours later.

EDIT: Frankly, I know this widgets menu thing is supposed to be nice, but I find it to be much harder to use than the old name-list-menu.

Reactions: woodstorm
Upvote 0
Maybe I'm just dumb, but I can't for the life of me get widgets to show up in the widget menu right after installation from the market. Is there some way to force a refresh? Eventually they do show up, maybe hours later.

EDIT: Frankly, I know this widgets menu thing is supposed to be nice, but I find it to be much harder to use than the old name-list-menu.

Agreed.

I usually restart the phone to get them to show up, which is obnoxious though.

Upvote 0
OK, I thought I would finally be brave and flash my first ROM but when I went into Rom Manager and told it to install the ROM it came to a picture of an android with a red triangle on it and it just sits there. What is wrong?

You probably didn't delete the boot-from-recovery.p file in /system did you?

Looks liek the stock recovery is overwriting CWM on boot.

Reactions: kokiangel
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
What did you use with DVD Catalyst to convert the Blu-rays.
I tried Anydvd Hd. i think I my have a problem with my Blu-ray drive in my computer because DVD Catalyst will no read my Blu-Rays, but it will read my DVDs.

If you have AnyDVD HD, make sure you enable the "Bluray" checkmark in (enable Power User mode) Global Settings > Bluray.

Reactions: vandyman
Upvote 0
Agreed.

I usually restart the phone to get them to show up, which is obnoxious though.

FINALLY! It's not just me! Been asking and looking around for two days if anyone else has the same issue. It's definitely the widget app drawer. I can find them when I long press on the screen(ROM I am on has that option baked in) but they do not show in the drawer until after a reboot.

Upvote 0
No need to start over.

Just use a file manager, mount system as R/W and rename boot-from-recovery.p to boot-from-recovery.bak and then reflash CWM through ROM Manager.

OK, I find a file called recovery-from-boot.p Is that it? Great! Astro says I have insufficient permissions.

NM. Problem solved. Using wrong file manager.
Thanks again.

Upvote 0
Alrighty, finally rooted today since I had an hour free for if things went bad. Since they didn't only took a couple minutes.
I'm just rooted with no CWR. Is there any benefit to doing that now vs later? I'm going to hold out on ROMS likely until CM9 comes out. Just not sure what that really gives me now since the process seems less straightforward at this point that I remember it being for the OG Droid after a few months.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones