• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Galaxy Nexus Watering Hole

Some of you may remember that I said I had to hold off in getting a Galaxy Nexus, due to the uncertaintly of our job... we'll know whether we have jobs going forward the first week of January 2012. Well, I received a VERY pleasant surprise yesterday morning from my manager's manager: an AmEx gift card for "Performance and Recognition"! I wasted no time in calling Verzion and ordering a Galaxy Nexus!! It will be here on Thursday. :D:D Not only that, when I called, they gave me the web-only price of $260 rather than $300!!

I didn't want to go to the store... the reps there move at the speed of drifting continents and it's always a zoo at this time of year. Plus, when I tried to order it online, it said it wasn't compatible with my data plan so the phone rep had to tweak a few things (I'm holding onto my unlimited data plan for dear life).

I'm so excited, I can't stand it!

Upvote 0
Both my 3g and 4g were off until after 830. Honestly, I almost did not notice because my signal strength bars are grey more often than blue, lol. I took my phone up to the Verizon store and did a side by side with another nexus and all the strength readings were pretty good and about the same so I know its not my actual unit. Funny thing is I live in a house on stilts and from my kitchen (third floor) I can see the tower across the sound, and if i stand looking out that window I pick up 2 to three bars of 4g. Move to the other side of the house or go down a level and it has only one bar or all the bars are grey :(

Upvote 0
I also got the extended battery yesterday via fed-ex (ordered Sunday night). I also like how the phone feels better with this battery in it and it still fits in the tpu case. I fully charged the original battery and will carry it as a back up if I need it. Anyone know how long it will hold a charge outside of the phone?

It should keep some charge on it for several weeks.

Upvote 0
Funds added!

2Xpdo.png

Upvote 0
Okay, let's get today's RSRSS feed going...

Droid Life’s Top 25 Android Apps Of 2011 – Droid Life

Prepare Your Smartphone and Laptop Travel Toolkit | Lifehacker

Firefox 9.0 for Android Now Available | Phandroid

Love me some Tintin: Review: Tintin Serves Up Indiana Jones-Style Adventure | Wired.com

Downloading this now: High-tech anti-virus app Avast now free on the Android Market | CNET

A Google-a-Day Puzzle for Dec. 21 | Wired.com

Early Beta Download for the All New and Improved Dropbox for Android App – New UI, Features and ICS Comptability | Phandroid

Lingering Android security flaw lets apps do things without permission | The Verge

Jackpot! Getjar Gold Apps Sale – Over 100 Paid Apps For FREE | Phandroid

OS/Battery issue might be affecting not only Nexus S updates, but ours as well: Google holds Android 4.0 updates for Nexus S and Galaxy Nexus - SlashGear

The Most Popular Featured Desktops and Home Screens of 2011 | Lifehacker

"If you don't eat your meat, you can't have any pudding!" The Pudding Machine That Yells At Kids | Gizmodo

Watched this and teared up a little bit, not gonna lie: First Trailer for Peter Jackson's The Hobbit is out | Kotaku

Get this, Star Wars Jedi Obi-Wan Kenobi’s home planet is officially named after Jon Stewart! | TheNextWeb

If you can't be near a TV on Dec. 31 (our good friend Captain Ron, perhaps?): Ring in the New Year watching on your phone as the ball drops in Times Square | PhoneArena

For advanced users: Gaining a Remote Shell On Android - Slashdot

Watch Out for This "Unlock Your Debit Card" Text Message Scam | Lifehacker

Hey, Words With Friends players, can you keep a secret? Use Wolfram Alpha to Find Scrabble Words | Lifehacker

From the "lolwut?" column: Democratic Republic of Congo bans text messaging -- Engadget

NSFW but hilarious: Christmas Hype Will Drive Your Children To Insanity | Deadspin

Upvote 0
Good morning, peeps!

Can anyone who rooted with Clockworkmod Recovery check their system folder under Root Explorer to see if "/system/reboot-from-recovery.p" is there?

I definitely only renamed it, but I just went into that file with Root Explorer and it's gone!!

Mine is gone, but I'm running a rom so I dont know if it was removed

Upvote 0
Good morning, peeps!

Can anyone who rooted with Clockworkmod Recovery check their system folder under Root Explorer to see if "/system/reboot-from-recovery.p" is there?

I definitely only renamed it, but I just went into that file with Root Explorer and it's gone!!

I haven't flashed anything yet, but mine is still there

Upvote 0
First day on extended battery and it dipped down to 55% and then gradually started climbing back up in the low 60% range without plugging it back in, lol. Silly Android. Figure I'll get a couple of good full charges and drains in on it the next couple of days and then should see some excellent battery performance. Why didn't they just include this battery with the phone from the factory? *sigh*

Upvote 0
No. Its the Verizon charging dock.
Morning everyone!

Morning! Ahh the portrait one ok thx.

Honestly i really don't care for theory roms... o wait I mean th3ory lol. He was a big thunderbolt dev and my phone never liked his stuff. But I really don't care for developers who push stuff out with little or no modification above stock and call it something special. That's why I love Pete and CM. Pete makes stock and tweaks it. No themes, or other installed BS. CM has that good stuff but just works properly.... I just don't particularly care for all the kangs in the dev section of the forums.

-3nd rant :)-P)

O yeah on XDA someone got a version of CM dialer with the mod that searches contact names and numbers when typing the numbers. Works great in Pete's rom

Right on ;)

Some of you may remember that I said I had to hold off in getting a Galaxy Nexus, due to the uncertaintly of our job...I'm so excited, I can't stand it!

What awesome news you are being watched over! :cool:

Good morning, peeps!

G'mornin'! There are so many ways and images out to get your phone back to stock you're good.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones