• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Galaxy S5 receives Marshmallow Android 6.0.1 update!

I forgot to ask if Sprint would be a better choice using the LG G3. Their prices are very competitive and they give two phonesI, one being free.

For a low level user, does that mean I should avoid the carrier or manufacturer when I get another phone?

IMHO. I would avoid Verizon, if you can, as it uses a minority CDMA network and not the worldwide GSM networks.

At my age I was going to keep it but maybe it's not a good idea.

I would hang on to it because, unlike the AT&T model, you at least have the option to root it in future and install up-to-date custom ROMs. Besides, Verizon may have the best signal in your area.

IMHO. T-Mobile comes out as a clear winner on the network stakes for the U.S. in terms of updates. Having said that, all the Galaxy S7 U.S. models have come out with locked and un-rootable firmwares, see, U.S. carrier S7 models have locked bootloaders and no rooting and a great number of users in the U.S. are opting for the unbranded Global GSM model with frequent updates and no restrictions.

You have been very helpful. I doubt I would ever become a root person. I usually text, email and serf like the pc except I call a lot to distant family in the states as I am..
I think you were saying to try to get GSM which is world wide and not CDMA used in the states and CDMA is used by verizon. My wife has a little Prism prepaid with T Mobile. I have a 2 year contract with version with my Galaxy(low end -2 GB ram and 15 GB storage).

I now can switch as my contract is about 5 months from maturity.
I was thinking of Sprint two phones for one and spit 1 GB data as I use about 200 MB a month.
I would end up paying for the LG G? and end up well under $100.
I have heard the connectivity of the T mobile is not good and Sprint is about OK. Which has the GSM you refer to? Is it T-Mobile or Sprint or ATT?
I think I had better get this done but done right. I have 2 Galaxies one unused(lost then recovered so I bought one). I could add the second Galaxy to my line , Verizon unlike Sprint would cost too much to buy the LG an would add my 2nd Galaxy at a high price -$110 but would prefer the LG for us both
I have 3 batteries an a charger for the Galaxy. I could go with Sprint =2 for one and stay under $100 or go with T-mobile about the same but no 2 for one.
I read the LG? (confused about the G3 or 4 or 5 etc) is a good phone and Sprint wold give me 2 of them for the price of one.
I know I am asking a lot but could you please point me in the right direction ? I know it is good to get GSM but need some help with the carrier and type phone for the wife and myself. Age and health = get a little git for us that works OK . Given my information, what wwould you do?
Thanks a lot for your patience.

I am afraid that Sprint is also a CDMA network. If you do not intend using your phone anywhere other than the area you live in, then CDMA is OK. Just don't expect it to be 100% compatible with national or international, GSM, networks. See...

CDMA vs. GSM: What's the Difference?

Now that you have explained a little more, I would recommend staying with the Galaxy S5 that you have as it is about to get the Marshmallow, Android 6.0.1 update soon, which should tide you over for another year. The LG G3 is older than your S5 and the G4 is roughly the same age. So no real advantage in switching to those. The LG G5 is this years model and should be OK for updates for a couple of years. All of them have, as does the S5, Verizon's own firmware version.

Would you think getting 2 LG 5'5, one for free, with Sprint would be a good deal? I won't pester you again

Hi PDN, if a removable battery is important to you as it is to a lot of people, I would go for the LG G5 as it retains this feature. Phil

Reactions: PDN
Yes the 2nd battery is important.
This sure is confusing for a low level user. Between COMA, GSM, carrier, manufacturer, batteries and more it is a nightmare. I have never met such untrustworthy people who sell phones. The are worse than used car sales people. I am dizzy after I leave the stores because they don't tell you everything and you always find a catch if you pursue.
I it not possible to keep a functional phone for a few yeas if you are elderly and not in business?
Maybe the phone would tell you by malfunctioning if it is outdated.
TY

I am afraid that Sprint is also a CDMA network. If you do not intend using your phone anywhere other than the area you live in, then CDMA is OK. Just don't expect it to be 100% compatible with national or international, GSM, networks. See...

CDMA vs. GSM: What's the Difference?

Now that you have explained a little more, I would recommend staying with the Galaxy S5 that you have as it is about to get the Marshmallow, Android 6.0.1 update soon, which should tide you over for another year. The LG G3 is older than your S5 and the G4 is roughly the same age. So no real advantage in switching to those. The LG G5 is this years model and should be OK for updates for a couple of years. All of them have, as does the S5, Verizon's own firmware version.

Pretty sure the Sprint G5 is a global roaming capable phone which includes GSM radios for use outside if the United States.

Pretty sure the Sprint G5 is a global roaming capable phone which includes GSM radios for use outside if the United States.

The Sprint model, G900P, is fine for 2G and 3G bands only but will not work on 4G/LTE on the vast majority of networks, worldwide.

So if my Galaxys get the update I will talk to Verizon about restructuring my contract which expires in 1-17.
Does the update mean my phone' firmware/functionality will improve? I refer to battery consumption.
Hopefully I can keep both phones and add a line for my wife whereby we share data.
I don't know the ramifications of the balance due to 1-17 and this new idea. I'd hate to take another shellacking.
I expect to pay for activation and hope it will not move too many checkers on the board.
Thanks for you insight.

So if my Galaxys get the update I will talk to Verizon about restructuring my contract which expires in 1-17.
Does the update mean my phone' firmware/functionality will improve? I refer to battery consumption.
Hopefully I can keep both phones and add a line for my wife whereby we share data.
I don't know the ramifications of the balance due to 1-17 and this new idea. I'd hate to take another shellacking.
I expect to pay for activation and hope it will not move too many checkers on the board.
Thanks for you insight.

Hard to say about Verizon's own version of Marshmallow as it is different to the stock Samsung firmware releases. In theory, it should bring some battery and performance improvements.

I spoke with Verizon today and will share data with my wife who will have no contract. I will continue my contract til 1-17 then my monthly rate goes to $78 from $100.
Free T+T and 1 GB data. I average about 120 MB a mo.
If the update comes through good but if not the phones do all I could ask for.
So we will sign her up tomorrow $40. activation as long as she.not I can stop if he wants with no penalty.
She has T-Mobile now and needs better coverage and calling like my Verizon.
I guess a a lot depends on where you live.

More Marshmallow releases for the global, G900F, model....

France
Ireland (O2)
Morocco (MAT)
Kenya
Morocco (MWD)
Saudi Arabia (STC)
Malaysia

Releases also for the dual sim model, G900FD, for...

Caucaus Countries
Ukraine (Kyivstar)

Release for U.S. carrier branded, minority variant, model G900T...

USA (T-Mobile)

Release for U.S. carrier branded, minority variant, model G900T1...

USA (T-Mobile)

Last edited:
Not sure if it's useful but I can tell you that I just recently I received the Marshmallow update for my unbranded and unlocked GF900FD. Let me know if I can check and post any other useful details.

And, thank you for all your useful posts here and on other threads :)

Not sure if it's useful but I can tell you that I just recently I received the Marshmallow update for my unbranded and unlocked GF900FD. Let me know if I can check and post any other useful details.

And, thank you for all your useful posts here and on other threads :)

Hello and welcome to Android Forums jmh2002 :D

There have been a number of releases so far for the dual sim, Duos, model, G900FD, (see previous posts). It all depends on your phone's Product Code, which can be located by installing Phone INFO ★Samsung★, free from the Play Store. A very useful app in my opinion.

More Marshmallow releases for the global, G900F, model....

Ireland (Three)
Serbia (Telenor)
Bosnia Herzegovina
Macedonia
Bulgaria
Slovenia
Baltic
Slovakia
Poland (Orange)
Spain (Orange)

Release for U.S. carrier branded, minority variant, model G900V...

USA (Verizon)

Release for the octa core, non 4G/LTE, model G900H

India (INU)

Release for the Canadian regional model G900W8

Canada (Rogers)
Canada (Fido)
Canada (MTA)

Back
Top Bottom