• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Galaxy S5 receives Marshmallow Android 6.0.1 update!

Incidentally and finally my Galaxy S5 by Samsung with Verizon just received the ver. 6 Marshmallow update..

Last edited:
You will get to know some attractive features of Android Marshmallow. It will help you to understand this android OS version better.

Well I finally got marshmallow about a month ago but just got an advisory from the forum so thought to tell you I do have it now. I waited all that time and except for a feature or 2 Lollipop was much better.
However I am learning to work with Marshmallow.

A real good feature is optimizing battery; setting>battery> optimize all apps.
Since I have been doing that a couple of times a week, my battery is lasting twice as long. I charge about every 2-3 days.

Last edited:
yeah, some of the new features in Marshmallow are for crap... and I don't like them.
Thinking of rooting my Note 4 and going back to 4.4.4 and be done with it.

Last edited:
AT&T's own Marshmallow update, Android 6.0.1, on build G900AUCU4DPC1 came out back in April according to this....

http://thunderztech.com/install-android-6-0-1-g900aucu4dpc1-marshmallow-on-att-galaxy-s5-g900a/

Strange, but AFAIK, AT&T have STILL not updated to Marshmallow and have just been issuing security updates instead. They seem to have abandoned their model, G900A. :(

I chatted with an AT&T rep who said that Marshmallow will be coming to the S5, but was not able to provide a timeframe.

I chatted with an AT&T rep who said that Marshmallow will be coming to the S5, but was not able to provide a timeframe.

My international model received Marshmallow 7 months ago. That means that on a 2 year contract, AT&T owners have spent almost a third of the time just waiting for Marshmallow. Even Verizon managed to issue Marshmallow 2.5 months ago. If AT&T have not abandoned their model, G900A, then their support for it is most definitely lacklustre. Lets face it, it's not like you can say @:%~ 'em and root your phone and install a custom Marshmallow or Nougat ROM as they have even screwed you on that. :mad:

Personally I'm not too concerned on getting Marshmallow for my G900A. It is working fine as is. So long as AT&T supports with security updates for as long as S5s are in use I'll be satisfied. Right now I have no plans to change phones and I have been using it since it first came out.

IMO, you will be a LOT better off not getting MM on your phone....
they took away too many features that I consider necessary to my daily experience.

What features did they take away?

the most important one is being able to turn DATA on/off with an app, any app. :mad:
I use MacroDroid to control the internet...

that one feature is the pitts for me,

the other is removing the once lustrous and brilliant colors and 3D icon colors and outlines. :mad:
that is a huge deficit for me as I am Pastel Color Blind, and MM stinks, I can't see the screens for crap.

there are other things I used to do, and can't anymore... but that will soon be resolved "real soon now", as @The_Chief has graciously allowed me to buy his rooted Note 4 and it is still on 4.4.4, totally AWESOME :D:D:D

Well now, ironass, it doesn't pay to rush into these things. :p

Bad as the situation is for AT&T S5 owners, it's even worse for the Note 4 owners who are still waiting for the Marshmallow update, and the Note 4 is newer than the S5, so go figure. ;)

Well now, ironass, it doesn't pay to rush into these things. :p

Bad as the situation is for AT&T S5 owners, it's even worse for the Note 4 owners who are still waiting for the Marshmallow update, and the Note 4 is newer than the S5, so go figure. ;)

The Galaxy S4 Note international edition received Marshmallow nearly 5 months ago. The T-Mobile USA version got it 2 months ago, Verizon 2.5 months ago and Sprint, nearly 5 months ago. Canada got it 3 months ago. I cannot find an AT&T specific carrier model though!

Screenshot_2016-08-26-15-51-15_zpspef9nlec.png

Meanwhile, AT&T Note 4 owners, still waiting for the Marshmallow update, are very disappointed, and I don't blame them a whit.

Meanwhile, AT&T Note 4 owners, still waiting for the Marshmallow update, are very disappointed, and I don't blame them a whit.

Neither do I Lilybell2. The likes of AT&T and Verizon would not last 5 minutes in Europe with their ersatz firmware and totalitarian control... not to mention their abysmal firmware update record. :rolleyes:

I am totally fed up. Samsung has released a couple of unlocked phones for the US of late (model numbers ending with U) that will work on all the US carriers. AT&T for one will not permit the use of certain features on those phones. For example, you can bring an unlocked Samsung device to AT&T, a device that's quite capable of WiFi calling, and AT&T will not permit that feature to be enabled on their network. Ironically, the very same phone, if it's carrier branded for AT&T, will have the WiFi calling feature enabled.

I will not buy another carrier branded phone. I don't give a rip how nice the phone appears, if it's carrier branded, I won't have it.

Speaking of WiFi calling on an AT&T phone, the setup on my S5 went without a hitch. On my wife's S5, I wasn't so lucky setting that up. I had to call an AT&T rep to get it to work. She stated the LTE feature was blocking the WiFi setup. Sounded like a lame excuse, but she temporarily disabled the LTE on the wife's phone and the WiFi setup completed. LTE was re-enabled and everything appears to be working well. It may have taken AT&T some time to roll out Marshmallow, but the update on the 2 phones went smoothly and they are both working well.

ummm, no, I always turn OFF DATA.... then it works like a champ every time.

the reason is, the cell towers get overloaded with customers, and then they try to switch your data connection to a different channel/tower, and that screws up the works, right there.

always turn OFF the DATA radio.....

So, when are we getting Nougat?

:D

I just do NOT understand why some folks "just have to have" the latest thing that is pushed out???

I have gone back to 4.4.4 on my Note 4, and happy as a lark.... now everything works, unlike with 5.x and 6.x where they turned off the ability to control DATA and some other things with apps.

Back
Top Bottom