• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Galaxy S5 receives Marshmallow Android 6.0.1 update!

I just do NOT understand why some folks "just have to have" the latest thing that is pushed out???

Probably for the latest bugfixes, features and most importantly of all... the latest Google security patches for things such as Stagefright and others, which the older firmwares do not have. ;)

See, also, Stagefright Detector from the Play Store.

Upvote 0
You are not.... unless you root your phone and install a custom ROM.

I just do NOT understand why some folks "just have to have" the latest thing that is pushed out???

Sorry, I should have been more clear that I was joking. I am fully aware that non-Nexus flagship phones are typically not supported beyond two years after release. Ironass's post below is the main reason I'm interested in the latest updates--I'm particularly looking forward to the September security update due to the vulnerabilities that been been fixed.

Probably for the latest bugfixes, features and most importantly of all... the latest Google security patches for things such as Stagefright and others, which the older firmwares do not have. ;)

See, also, Stagefright Detector from the Play Store.

I have gone back to 4.4.4 on my Note 4, and happy as a lark.... now everything works, unlike with 5.x and 6.x where they turned off the ability to control DATA and some other things with apps.

To bring this thread somewhat back on topic, I've been quite happy with Marshmallow so far. I've seen a definite improvement in battery life, and I much prefer the granular permission system.

Reactions: AZgl1500
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones