• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Gingerbread 2.3 was here, then gone, now it's back

When will VZW push a fixed GB OTA

• 10/11/11

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 10/17/11

• 10/24/11

• 10/31/11

Votes: 3 2.8%
  • 11/07/11

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • 11/14/111

Votes: 22 20.6%
  • 11/21/11

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • Don't care (rooted already, etc)

Votes: 23 21.5%
  • Before Christmas

Votes: 12 11.2%
  • Never, the lobsters ate all the testers so it got cancelled

Votes: 11 10.3%
  • It isn't coming at all now

Votes: 13 12.1%
  • Any minute now

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Immediately after Jimmy Hoffa's body is found

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • The day after the apocalypse

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Sometime after the sun goes supernova

Votes: 9 8.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'm torn... I want the update, but I want the fixed update :D Going on 4 weeks now. Given there's been no reports of anyone getting it recently, signs are pointing to Verizon pulled it, even though they are silent on the topic.

Well, the last time they pulled it it came back in about two weeks. Probably rushed it through testing and this time they are not going to make that same mistake.

Eventhough I never wanted to root I may have to to get GB. There are a few ROMs floating around that are stock GB with the bugs removed and a couple of extras added in.

Upvote 0
Just checking in to see what's what. No OTA yet. And you're surprised after the issues with the limited rollout?
I just upgraded to Nil's business sense 3.0 :)
Oh heck yeah. I've been running it for about a month now. Sense 3.0 is light years ahead of the version of Sense you'd get with the OTA. In fact, the UI in the OTA honestly isn't that different than the one in Froyo.

Those of you waiting impatiently for the OTA... you aren't missing much. I'd classifiy it as a "minor update" from the appearance and usability end. Most of the Gingerbread improvements (and there are several, don't get me wrong) are under the hood and not even visible to the casual user.

Upvote 0
Just checking in to see what's what. No OTA yet. And you're surprised after the issues with the limited rollout?

Oh heck yeah. I've been running it for about a month now. Sense 3.0 is light years ahead of the version of Sense you'd get with the OTA. In fact, the UI in the OTA honestly isn't that different than the one in Froyo.

Those of you waiting impatiently for the OTA... you aren't missing much. I'd classifiy it as a "minor update" from the appearance and usability end. Most of the Gingerbread improvements (and there are several, don't get me wrong) are under the hood and not even visible to the casual user.

And to add on to this, if you get the update and HATE it, there is *NO* going back unless you were rooted (s-off).

Bottom line is just root and get s-off, your phone won't be any different but you will have a nice security blanket if the update goes bad.

Upvote 0
Having just upgraded, I'll give this advice.

WIPE THE CACHE (BOTH) SEVERAL TIMES

Maybe its me and bad luck but I've had trouble a couple times going from 2.2 -> 2.3.4

Don't try to restore any apps in titanium re-download them all and just restore the the data for the ones you need (angry birds:p).

I had trouble both times I tried to restore the titanium "dialer/storage backup" I just decided I didn't care about my call history :p

That said OMG I LOVE IT... and most of the things I like most are sense 3.0 items and wouldn't be in the OTA anyway...

Oh yes, I know what you mean. Yup Yup! The best way to load any ROM is similar to the way you install Windows... From Scratch!! Wipe off all data on the phone. Forget backups and all. Do it like Windows, re-install everything manually. Sure, it's a pain, but it's well worth it.

Upvote 0
I've said it before, but I think I'm going to root this weekend. I've got a problem that no apps will update if they are on the SD card. I wasn't going to worry about it because I'd be getting GB soon and I can do a reset there after. Now that I've been waiting a month and haven't been able to update a bunch of apps, I'm gonna have to take care of things myself.

Upvote 0
Ok, please clarify if I'm missing something:

1) Root
2) Download Rom Manager
3) Flash ClockworkMod 3.0
4) Flash hboot 0.92 from boot screen
5) Flash Radio from boot screen
6) Wipe (starting from scratch, don't care about old apps) <= Do you do this in the boot screen or Rom Manager??
7) Flash ROM from Boot Screen

Am I even close...!?

What are you trying to do?

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones