• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Gingerbread update on rooted phone.....no luck so far

Rafael

Android Enthusiast
I have tried to do the update on my rooted phone....about 5 times so far.
Each time I replaced one or a few of the apps I removed originally.

It's looking like we may need to unroot before being allowed to update.
Will try it when I get home from work.

I'm interested in how that turns out.

FYI:
I'm not really seeing any performance changes whatsoever on mine.
There are some nice aesthetic changes to the UI,
but that's about it. (and that's only if you like a black theme)
I'm actually undecided if I really like this new notification bar.
Now that it's black, it shows a significant barrier between it and my clock.
The old GPS icon is gone too.

As far as it fixing lag & proximity sensor as claimed....nope. :rolleyes:
Everything on mine is working just as before.
If there is any difference, I sure can't notice it.
Maybe it will be different for a rooted phone.
I dunno.

I don't expect much difference...and it will take some work to get it stripped back down to where I want it after I reroot.

I am doing it mainly to see what happens, and to let others know how it works with root.

I wish they would get rid of that stupid slow-to-full-brightness when you unlock it.
That irritates me.

Huh...never noticed that until you mentioned it.
I have my brightness set below half,
so it doesn't do it on mine.
(I like my blacks to be as deep as possible)

I just turned it all the way up to see.
Looks like it still fades in.
sorry.

Same here. I tried it as is, no luck. Then I restored everything, no luck. Now I have unrooted and...

No luck.

Oh well, I couldn't ever get the other update to load into the phone I had before this one (the one I bricked). No reason to expect anything different.

What's so great about gingerbread anyhow?

Using Root Checker I see that I have BusyBox still installed. Anyone know how to remove it? Maybe that is causing the problem

I just removed the busybox and will report back soon if it has made a difference

Edit: It makes no difference. Crappy update method and no carrier support on an otherwise solid phone.

That sucks to hear.
Not that 2.3 has really done much other than a nice UI change,
but there might be a better update down the road that
could potentially be pretty nice.
I don't think I'll root.

I talked to verizon today and they say that there are lots of people saying they can't get the update to work (but they didn't have an answer to why or how to fix it). If there are lots of people then maybe its not just people who rooted. And if unrooted phones are having issues too then maybe we can get it to work after they figure out the problem. He also told me its an update from casio and not verizon so there isn't a lot they can do.

I just rooted and went back to my old configuration and will try again in another week or so.

Again, because this phone does not have a working recovery there is little that can be done to force the update. Verizon's claim that it's not their update is very irritating and is simply a copout to give themselves a free pass for support. To say that they didn't send out the update when it was delivered through their network on a carrier app that came on the phone is just a little inaccurate. After all, who decides what apps are delivered with a new phone? Verizon.

It is a stain on an otherwise good experience with the device. Maybe it will work later, but I doubt it. I never did get the other update to work on the other phone before I killed it.

i was rooted and had alot of ui changes, never uninstalled any apps jsut froze, i reversed every step i did untill the only thing left was superuser, still wouldnt update unrooted, bam instantly starts updating. i haven't tried rooting it again yet but will in like 2 weeks after they fix minor updates if they happen, im still a little sad the facebook sync for accounts STILL does not work, unless its just my phone. iv noticed its faster in some areas and slower in others.

I was only freezing when I started but discovered there were apps that continued to run even after freezing. They were frozen but still appeared in the list of running apps.

I'm a newbie at this but have been lurking.

Is it possible the update is checking the file size on the boot audio files that some of you altered?

I thought of this after updating. I have since rebooted a few times and the verizon portion of the boot sequence is slightly different with a loading bar...

This maybe something you restored right away. I have no clue just trying to help.

It's a thought.

I somehow erased the file while I was trying to replace it today.
Anyone got a copy of the original wakeup.mp3 file they can send me?

Replaced the original bootaudio file. Unrooted.....but did not put all the bloat back on.
Update still fails about 1/4 of the way through.

I would bet there is some type of expected checksum that the update is looking for. The file manipulation that occurs during rooting probably alters that checksum and until we figure out what the expected checksum is and where it is stored we probably won't be able to update.

Of course I might be completely wrong on this and its just a flawed system, I do not know.

Back
Top Bottom