• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Gingerbread update on rooted phone.....no luck so far

I'd have to agree with the idea of a checksum being run by the installer to see if the files are all there, or it is searching for specific running processes and aborting if it does or does not find what it should.

In my mind, there are at least two potential ways to try to circumvent the installation check for root users:

1) Someone find a way to capture the installer and the update (it's an 80MB file according to my download over an unsecured 3G network so it's hardly invisible). From there, it's just a matter of unpacking and potentially decrypting it and then we have free rein to do whatever we please with the new OS files.

2) Someone with an updated Gingerbread phone try rooting it with SuperOneClick and the Gingerbreak method which I think it has and then dump the contents. Then the same scenario as above evolves where we have all the new OS files.

Either that or it's looking like every piece will have to be put back in order to make the installer happy and every new piece taken out. That said, here's a link to all of the stock stuff in a thread on XDA:

[FILE DUMP] Casio GzOne Commando + Extra Goodies - xda-developers

I'm willing to wait and see though if Verizon or Casio or whoever is responsible for the update releases a patched version that is less finicky about updating. Thoughts?

This would also explain why Verizon is rather blase' about phones not accepting the update - I can see the instructions now "If customer reports update failed then customer likely has a rooted device..."

Capturing the update is no problem. I did it before with the previous update. I don't know what to do with it afterwards is the problem. Until we are sure the GB update can be rooted I don't see the need to fix this. If it can't be rooted, I don't want it. Things are too smooth with the carrier apps removed to screw that up. Not to mention, I am very reluctant to do any hard hacking on the phone because I have already had to buy one at full price due to something else stupid that I did. With no recovery, there is no repair...

Edit: Okay, I have it, now what?

It goes into the folder /cache/fota/

In this folder are the following files:

ipth_config.bak
ipth_config.txt - it says its 56 bytes but the file is empty
ipth_config_dfs.txt - it says its 29 bytes but it is empty as well
ipth_config_recovery.txt - 13 bytes but empty as well
ipth_package.bin - a whoping 94.21 MB. i assume this is the bulk of the update
ipth_package.bin.dd - 576 bytes but empty when viewed as text
radio.diff - 11.10 MB

I can email this to someone if they want to play with it. I don't have the tools or the talent.

rjglenn;
You have it? You mean you installed it, or just have a file dump?

Yes I agree that the phone works very well rooted.
I was not nervous about the update on my phone; figured if SOC worked so easily on 2.2 that 2.3 would support SOC as well.

Is 2.3 unrootable, or have those few who have tried it just given up after a few failures? I know that more than one person thought SOC didn't work with 2.2; I had trouble with it the first time I tried it.

After I downloaded the update I set it to defer installation so I could poke around in it.

There is definately something going on here. I copied the entire FOTA folder to my SD card and looked at the *.txt files & they were not empty.

ipth_config.txt contains a string of characters: )?$o [] The ? was in a diamond and the [] is a box

ipth_config_dfs.txt contains the famous: IP_PREVIOUS_UPDATE_FAILED 410

ipth_num_recovery.txt contains: numRecovery=6

I copied these back & overwrote the blank files and started the update. The phone rebooted to recovery & all I had was a exclaimation mark in a triangle and the android dude. So I corrupted the update. After a brief episode of tachycardia I rebooted the phone and it came right back up. I saw the familiar update failed screen. Interesting thing is, where it normally shows IP_PREVIOUS_UPDATE_FAILED that was blank.

The update is looking for something to be there or looking to confirm something is not there. I don't know what, but I bet the file with the symbols is what we are looking for.

LOL

I cannot get that last link you posted to open.

Anyone want to call Innopath to see if they will help?
They are supposed to be the ones handling customer problems....according to the Innopath info I have seen.

I can't open it either. Opening a portion of it brings up a log in screen.

In other news, there is a poster on Howard Forums who says he had no trouble updating a rooted phone, but with the update it hangs on step 6 of SOC and so far he has been unable to root.

No root = no want!

wow that sucks you had to buy a new phone. was that from trying to update or was that when you bricked it previously?? sorry haven't been on for quite a while, i been pretty busy working.

Anything new or cool since I been gone besides not being able to update?? I'm not tripping on the not being able too cause I know two people with droids that got the update and they both say it sucks.

one of them the navigation picks the right path but then in the middle of your drive it starts saying turn around and go right lol then you turn right and it says turn around you were supposed to go left. it says the right address but it is actually taking you really far the wrong direction. Thats not the only problem on that phone either it randomly drops calls and other stuff but the best one is when we took it to verizon is wouldn't accept anything they did trying to fix it. lol The ladys face was classic when she tried to do something OTA with it and then it started flashing and then playing music and then starting calls and taking pictures. she was oh MY GOD I'm so sorry. needless to say the girl I was with recieved a new phone and $15 gift card.

lol I can wait

I updated my phone...and I was rooted. I was in a terrible mood due to my computer crapping out and I just said "screw it" and updated. Everything went fine.

NOTE: I have only ever frozen apps. Never truly uninstalled anything. I wonder if this has something to do with it. I don't trust titanium as much as I used to.

NOTE 2: SuperOneClick doesn't work and hangs at step 6 as reported above. I am now un-rooted and very depressed. I would not worry about not being able to updated until someone figured our root on the update.

My rooted phone also just updated successfully, but is now unrooted. I never removed or froze any apps. I seriously need to root again. Any ideas? :(

My phone was rooted and I froze all the bloat ware my self and unfroze them then was abble to root. One prob I have now is that iv tried every way I can think of to reroot the phone but nothing :(

The issue is not with missing apps. I have backups of every app and have restored them - all of them. Doing this makes no difference. There is some type of checksum or something that the innopath update program looks at and somehow the backup/delete/restore process alters it. When the update tries to install it "sees" the difference and the update fails. People who freeze apps are able to update, people who backup/delete/restore are not.

If this is some type of punishment for rooting & removing carrier installed apps it's not working. Verizon will replace a phone that will not accept the backup. You just have to make sure that everything obvious is put back like it was before sending the phone back in.

It's just a minor inconvenience...

The issue is not with missing apps. I have backups of every app and have restored them - all of them. Doing this makes no difference. There is some type of checksum or something that the innopath update program looks at and somehow the backup/delete/restore process alters it. When the update tries to install it "sees" the difference and the update fails. People who freeze apps are able to update, people who backup/delete/restore are not.

If this is some type of punishment for rooting & removing carrier installed apps it's not working. Verizon will replace a phone that will not accept the backup. You just have to make sure that everything obvious is put back like it was before sending the phone back in.

It's just a minor inconvenience...

Now that's just weird... silly casio :P

(if it makes you feel any better, I have the Sony Ericsson Xperia Play, which according to Sony Ericsson, "It is currently not possible to unlock the boot loader for CDMA phones. We are however working on this."

This was up during the time that some people on XDA were getting CDMA unlock codes through a hole in their algorithm)

TLDR: Sony Ericsson lies. Verizon is probably being mean.

Back
Top Bottom