• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Gold camera button wearing

Shawn^^

Nov 4, 2009
Just noticed the dedicated gold camera button has pretty much faded to white. Really discouraging considering the phone is not even a month old. I treat the phone better then I treat myself, so there should be no reason why this happened. Anyone else notice this?

Thats really lousy. I wish they could have used some cheap brass button or something.

I'm starting to wonder if they just used a paint which didn't have a protection against oils and such, and if I should maybe consider grabbing some clear model paint to use as a seal over the button to protect it.

One thing that always gets me though is when they do these painted plastic accents like this, why the base plastic which gets coated is never a color that matches the rest of the design. If they'd used a black plastic and put the gold paint on it then at least you could chip off the rest of the paint and have it match.

Upvote 0
Thats really lousy. I wish they could have used some cheap brass button or something.

Exactly! Brass is like, the universal cheap metal. How much could it cost them to make the buttons solid metal? This has me wondering if the other gold-accented things (ex: The middle button on the 5-way rocker) are going to start doing this too. :(

Upvote 0
Yeah, the gold paint started peeling within the first 3 weeks, and now the button is almost entirely white plastic, with a little gold on the edges just to let everyone know that it's actually peeling, and not intentionally white...:eek:

It's really odd how such a simple, high-visibility cosmetic defect can get through testing and make it to the market. It's not like I have super sweaty hands or anything... my pinky is on that button often to turn the screen on when it goes to sleep. That's all. That paint should have lasted 3 years. I can get paint at any hardware store that will outperform whatever Motorola smeared on that button. I hope they're embarrassed.

Upvote 0
Gold button is holding up okay after about a month and a half of owning this 2nd droid. Although the paint on the bezel is showing some wear. I always have it in either a holster or a leather case...never carry it in my pocket but it seems like I have little dings on the inside of the bezel and up at the top right it looks like the paint is actually wearing or was scratched off. I feel a completely silver bezel is going to be the in thing with these droids in a year, heh.

Upvote 0
What is a bezel?

And this is very infuriating, all this crap about the gold paint! I don't really use my camera button at all, but still. I'm looking at it right now and it still looks shiny, but I've only had it about 3 weeks. This sucks!

Someone mentioned a clear model paint sealer. Will that work? Or will it make it look all glossy and plasticky?

Upvote 0
Exactly! Brass is like, the universal cheap metal. How much could it cost them to make the buttons solid metal? This has me wondering if the other gold-accented things (ex: The middle button on the 5-way rocker) are going to start doing this too. :(

i am no expert but maybe metal there would mess with the radio reception. Personally not having issues but mine is getting part time duty

Upvote 0
Just noticed the dedicated gold camera button has pretty much faded to white. Really discouraging considering the phone is not even a month old. I treat the phone better then I treat myself, so there should be no reason why this happened. Anyone else notice this?

Wow i didnt even notice this untill you had said something, mines half worn and i use my camera seldom..

Upvote 0
I had a droid where the button started wearing...I had to replace that one because of hardware issues (mic died on me) and the first thing I did was coat the button in clear nail polish.

Re: the bezel, if the bezel is made out of aluminum, try Birchwood Casey Aluminum Black metal finish. Or black nail polish if that stuff doesn't work

Upvote 0
Mine is fine, got the phone the day it came out

People, it just like anything else. If you use it, IT WILL SHOW SIGNS OF USE.

If you want to keep your phone nice and shiny, put it back in the box and never open it.

You will drop it, scratch it, break it, then replace it with the new thing. I love my droid...my button is fine, but I never use the camera either.

That is all...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones