• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google I/O 2015 Companion Thread

Upvote 0
So I decided to see what M is all about:

UfBEC8X.png

So far so good....

Upvote 0
I guess that my concern is that this solves only half of the problem.

It's great for a phone at rest.

But most of the time just walking around with your screen off, it ought to be nearly in full hibernation.

A number of things prevent this, not the least of which are apps asynchronously pounding on Play Services for live location updates when really - Play Services could ask once every X minutes for location and just have a layer that reflects the queued value back to the apps. Ditto for anything else that stupid apps sneak in to keep the device awake via Play Services.

That entails modifying Play Services because the people who write apps like Facebook are thumb-sucking blithering idiots - but no one blames the bad apps when the power monitor says that Play Services is broken.

Because Facebook is wonderful on my iPhone and Google sucks.

Upvote 0
I guess that my concern is that this solves only half of the problem.

It's great for a phone at rest.

But most of the time just walking around with your screen off, it ought to be nearly in full hibernation.

A number of things prevent this, not the least of which are apps asynchronously pounding on Play Services for live location updates when really - Play Services could ask once every X minutes for location and just have a layer that reflects the queued value back to the apps. Ditto for anything else that stupid apps sneak in to keep the device awake via Play Services.

That entails modifying Play Services because the people who write apps like Facebook are thumb-sucking blithering idiots - but no one blames the bad apps when the power monitor says that Play Services is broken.

Because Facebook is wonderful on my iPhone and Google sucks.

I wish I had an N5 or 6 so I could test M on the phone to see how it works in that scenario. Since my 4 will almost certainly NOT receive Marshmallow in November, I'm going to probably buy the new LG-made Nexus.

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
I wish I had an N5 or 6 so I could test M on the phone to see how it works in that scenario. Since my 4 will almost certainly NOT receive Marshmallow in November, I'm going to probably buy the new LG-made Nexus.
Probably wouldn't be able to tell with a beta and the current Play Services.

Upvote 0
Ability to suppress all carrier bloatware, not just for Nexus or just for Sprint phones.

Ability to clear cache AND Dalvik from stock recovery (to avoid factory data reset except as the ultimate final resort).

User-unlockable bootloader via fastboot oem unlock.

What M needs -

Inability to load and run Play Services unless the previous conditions are met.

Not going to happen. Just thought I'd point that out though.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones