• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google I/O 2015 Companion Thread

Interesting detail from GSMArena:
Adoptable storage devices

Users can now add an SD card, which will then be adopted by the system to behave like internal storage. The memory card will be formatted and encrypted and will be seen like internal memory. You can then install apps and other private data easily onto the memory card.
So finally an answer to all those low-end devices with inadequate internal storage but having an SD slot (though it sounds like you lose the portability of the card between devices as the downside). Now if only the manufacturers will update them to M...

Added a few more article links to the OP; let me know if anything of import was missed (and no, I'm not going to include the highly-informative Phandroid write-up of the "Meh" Easter Egg).

Day 1 may be over, but feel free to tip me/us off to any exciting announcements to come in Day 2!

Interesting detail from GSMArena:

So finally an answer to all those low-end devices with inadequate internal storage but having an SD slot (though it sounds like you lose the portability of the card between devices as the downside). Now if only the manufacturers will update them to M...
I'm looking forward to the end of that question and all of the cockamamie solutions to go with it.

That's a rich article - Android for Work is very interesting.

I don't think this one got posted:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/0...r-google-account-for-both-chrome-and-android/

This is basically awesome.

EDIT: BTW, this was announced at I/O, but it's not an M specific feature. Check your Google Settings app to see if you have it. I do. It requires participation from developers though, so it's still rolling out. It works with Netflix, which I verified by uninstalling the app, downloading it, and opening it. It signed me in automatically.

And there was much rejoicing.

i-7f2e0ee1c8912e7e29e201c193d9199a-much_rejoicing.jpg

I can't figure out what's up with moving the Google Settings app into main settings.

Will the settings app still exist and be hidden with the access happening from main settings? Just an app drawer cleaning?

Or are they declaring that all Google settings are fixed - no new features coming - unless you get a version / OTA update?

I don't understand the point of the change. :(

I can't figure out what's up with moving the Google Settings app into main settings.

Will the settings app still exist and be hidden with the access happening from main settings? Just an app drawer cleaning?

Or are they declaring that all Google settings are fixed - no new features coming - unless you get a version / OTA update?

I don't understand the point of the change. :(
Just tested on a buddy's N5 running M. I didn't dig too deeply, but it does look like the Google Settings app has indeed been merged into the main Settings apk. A separate app doesn't seem to exist.

I'm with you; not really sure why they'd do it that way.

I see a lot of mention these days about people wanting Huawei and Xiaomi devices. Can they make devices that have excellent build quality and support? I have no experience with Xiaomi, and my limited experience with seeing Huawei devices is in the Straight Talk isle at Wal-mart, where they have a whole bunch of really cheap devices. I think it will take a real demonstration to get me onboard with a chinese-based OEM.

It's no M8, but the build quality is there - far ahead of what LG had when they decided to make more premium phones.

Xiaomi is the world's 3rd largest smartphone manufacturer.

Last edited:
I see a lot of mention these days about people wanting Huawei and Xiaomi devices. Can they make devices that have excellent build quality and support? I have no experience with Xiaomi, and my limited experience with seeing Huawei devices is in the Straight Talk isle at Wal-mart, where they have a whole bunch of really cheap devices. I think it will take a real demonstration to get me onboard with a chinese-based OEM.

A cheap prepaid phone is going to be a cheap prepaid phone regardless of who makes it.

Without getting into details that I'm not (yet) allowed to disclose, I did get in on the beta test for an unreleased Huawei device. After a couple of months with the device I would absolutely consider Huawei a contender on the hardware front; their software needs some attention, but stock Android on Huawei hardware would make for a solid (and desirable) Nexus IMHO.

Back
Top Bottom