• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Google Nav FC... Is there a fix?

CYNICALifornia

Android Enthusiast
Google nav keeps crashing when I'm moving. I've been able to find that the problem is semi-widespread, and that it has to do with graphics. I cannot, however, find a fix.

I was running stock rooted JB, now running Meanbean.

Help me Obi Wan Kenobi, you're my only hope.

i didn't have that prob with google nav and maps but i read where some who did had luck with Waze.

I tried it, like it pretty well too, but then IT went black and FC'd on me. :o

Went back to maps. Maybe it will work for you?

are you s-on or s-off? have you tried aosp roms? i have never heard or seen this issue with nav crashing frequently. how do you know it is a graphics issue?

have you tried fixing permissions in recovery? or the usual wiping of the caches?

are you s-on or s-off? have you tried aosp roms? i have never heard or seen this issue with nav crashing frequently. how do you know it is a graphics issue?

have you tried fixing permissions in recovery? or the usual wiping of the caches?

S-off.

I tried CM 10, but it wasn't polished enough. This was months ago, though.

Some of the posts I've read identified it as such.

Caches, yes. Uninstall, reinstall, yes. Permissions? Not yet. doing it now and will test tomorrow.

Thank you sir.

S-off.

Caches, yes. Uninstall, reinstall, yes. Permissions? Not yet. doing it now and will test tomorrow.

Thank you sir.

Also, on it being a graphics problem: it doesn't freeze and FC if I'm not moving. So, it seems that rendering it what kills it.

S-off.

Thank you sir.

No dice. Still freezing.

Any other idea?

Well I was going to say to maybe unroot and try a ruu and sees if that night fix things. Then of no go then you can use your warranty.

I have the same issue and it all started when I first rooted too, I'm S-ON and have used CM 10, CM 10.1, Carbon and Pac and they've all done the same

I have the same issue and it all started when I first rooted too, I'm S-ON and have used CM 10, CM 10.1, Carbon and Pac and they've all done the same

I've done stock with mods, stock, and meanbean.

So, appointment with Sprint is set for this afternoon. I'm trusting honesty about the situation will get it resolved.

Stand by...

If I catch you before you get there, did you ever try Waze?

Good Luck!

No, and I don't really want to. I've seen the suggestion, and appreciate it, but I really want to fix what is not working right.

No dice at the Sprint store. The tech said he couldn't touch it since it was rooted. He also asked me to give him a call back in a few days to see if he thought of something.

Just had a thought... could it be firmware? I'm going to try reflashing the firmware now.

Was just curious if it would work. I have read of others using that when maps failed them and tried it. Waze locked up on me though. Wondered if it even would work. Maps works on my phone, all versions of firmware I've been on.

Good luck though. :D

i would have just ran the ruu and not mentioned that it was rooted. this sounds more like hardware issue and they should be able to fix it.

here is some tools you can use to help with sprint's tech's:
http://www.acsyndicate.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/ACS-Sprint-Rooting-Policy.pdf

and here is putting the policy to the test:
http://www.acsyndicate.net/sprints-rooting-policy-put-to-the-test/

my tech guy that i have gotten to know over the years is cool with my phone being rooted as long as the issue is not root related.

i would have just ran the ruu and not mentioned that it was rooted. this sounds more like hardware issue and they should be able to fix it.

here is some tools you can use to help with sprint's tech's:
http://www.acsyndicate.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/ACS-Sprint-Rooting-Policy.pdf

and here is putting the policy to the test:
http://www.acsyndicate.net/sprints-rooting-policy-put-to-the-test/

my tech guy that i have gotten to know over the years is cool with my phone being rooted as long as the issue is not root related.

To be fair, the tech was great. He said that while he had no problem helping out, as soon as he plugged my phone into his computer the diagnostic software would tag it as rooted and that would be that.

I asked about the RUU, he said it wouldn't make a difference.

I really feel the guy was being honest and truthful with me. He tried to help and wanted me to get back to him next week.

I do appreciate the suggestions though.

Edit: After reading the file you linked to, I think the game has changed and they can tell root now. The tech said his diagnostic tool would show any over/under clocking, drops, liquid contact, etc.

Alright. I flashed the 3.16 firmware, but maps still crashed. Should have reinstalled my rom after flashing the new firmware?

If I relock and run an RUU what is involved in getting root again?

I found a lot of nav crashing in Jellybean, it's (jb) using more ram.

If acceptable, maybe try -

http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-lte...2-feeling-adventurous-got-experiment-you.html

So far this is holding stable as a nav fix for me.

I've been running ICS as my daily driver over this issue.

I'm on Viper4G 3.1.6 and nav has been up for nearly two hours - while syncing multiple emails accounts, web surfing - the whole bit.

Too early to make a guarantee but that mod is definitely worth a shot for those with Jellybean-Sense nav troubles.

Back
Top Bottom