• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Gorilla Glass

Have you guys seen iphone4s vs GS2 drop test video? iPhone's front gorilla glass shattered badly! Though gorilla glass is very resistant to scratch it doesn't guarantee no shattering when dropped with face down.
Neither the iPhone 4 or 4s use Gorilla Glass. Apple buys glass from "Lens Technology" and "Fuji Crystal," not Corning. Apple's glass certainly doesn't stand up to the kind of abuse Gorilla Glass does, as you saw in that video.

Upvote 0
Agreed, all about bein cool.... And ya Gotta luv the cool Fall weather in NYC"

sean76, sorry if I came of harsh, that was not intended. I'm not mad at ya for switching phones! I just bought an X2 a few months ago and am already going to buy a Galaxy Nexus! :)

Oh, by the way, your lucky with your NYC cool fall weather. It was 91F here today! (About 30 miles east of Los Angeles).

Upvote 0
Just to quell some of the gorilla glass/no gorilla glass fears. Frankly, it really doesn't matter to me. I learned a hard lesson just a few weeks after purchasing my brand new Droid when it came out. I had decided the phone was built sturdy enough to not need a case and it had Gorilla Glass so why would I need a screen protector, right?? Wrong! I took precautions to never have keys in the same pocket, try extra hard not to drop it, etc... but one day just a few short weeks after my purchase I was sitting on the couch by my wife and had my phone sitting by me on the couch. My wife moved her left hand from her laptop down to her side to grab the remote, which was also laying by my phone, and her engagement ring evidently grazed the screen. I picked up my phone a few minutes later and noticed a nice, long 2"-2.5" DEEP scratch going diagonally across my screen. This was completely incidental and her ring has no obvious exposed sharp points exposed, yet somehow, my phone still was scratched badly. Gorilla Glass or no Gorilla Glass, my new phone will get a screen protector from day 1.

Upvote 0
Just to quell some of the gorilla glass/no gorilla glass fears. Frankly, it really doesn't matter to me. I learned a hard lesson just a few weeks after purchasing my brand new Droid when it came out. I had decided the phone was built sturdy enough to not need a case and it had Gorilla Glass so why would I need a screen protector, right?? Wrong! I took precautions to never have keys in the same pocket, try extra hard not to drop it, etc... but one day just a few short weeks after my purchase I was sitting on the couch by my wife and had my phone sitting by me on the couch. My wife moved her left hand from her laptop down to her side to grab the remote, which was also laying by my phone, and her engagement ring evidently grazed the screen. I picked up my phone a few minutes later and noticed a nice, long 2"-2.5" DEEP scratch going diagonally across my screen. This was completely incidental and her ring has no obvious exposed sharp points exposed, yet somehow, my phone still was scratched badly. Gorilla Glass or no Gorilla Glass, my new phone will get a screen protector from day 1.

If she hit it with the diamond I can easily believe that. The hardness of the object is what determines something like this.

Upvote 0

At least she can rest assured you didn't get her a Cubic Zarconium! :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
At least she can rest assured you didn't get her a Cubic Zarconium! :rolleyes:

If I'm not mistaken, Zarconium is also rather hard, and can scratch fortified glass.

Honestly, gorilla glass isn't what some people make it out to be. Sure metals aren't going to scratch your screen, and you can take a knife to it and show off, but if you end up with a couple small pieces of quartz or the like in your pocket (which is dang near unavoidable) and your screen is no longer flawless.

I'd much rather spring for some decently priced screen protectors. $3 every 2 months or so for a scratch-less screen is a great deal.

Upvote 0
If she hit it with the diamond I can easily believe that. The hardness of the object is what determines something like this.

Oh I know. I find it hard to believe that any portion of her diamond that is capable of producing a scratch could have it the screen in a manner that would have caused the scratch. It had to have been the mounting prongs which are 18k gold...rather soft. Still, that's a 1 in a million scenario of angles lining up perfectly to produce that scratch. Just illustrating a point that it is indeed very easy to scratch even Gorilla Glass.

Upvote 0
gorilla-glass-nexus.jpg

oops.. sorry dupe

Upvote 0
Either way it is still tempered glass and will not scratch easily. I don't see why people think gorilla glass is something special. Its marketing at its best.

Nahhh, I Disagree! Its deff something that should be on a high end phone, and honestly , it works! U wont find the hairline scratches that you would normally find on a phone that doesn't have it! Its not full proof, but its the best glass you'll find at this moment in time.

Watch the drop test between the Samsung Galaxy S2 vs the iphone 4s...and then tell me if you'd rather spend $600 on a phone that doesn't have it, vs a phone that does have it. ; )

Upvote 0
Drop tests have more to do with the overall construction of the device than with the glass itself. The iPhone 4S is simply not well structured for impacts. Compared to the ultra-durable design of the Razr, there's no comparison.

What makes Gorilla Glass a big deal is that if you happen to crack the glass on your phone, a screen with gorilla glass will still be functional. I'm sure everyone has seen or tried a touch screen with cracked glass and only portions of it have worked.

Upvote 0
Arguing over Gorilla glass is a moot point now. Now we know that it does not have gave GG, either get it, or don't. There's no point in continually arguing and sulking over this phone not having it.

I for one will get it even without the Gorilla Glass, it's not that big of a deal to me.

When I purchased my X I wasn't aware that it had GG (I wasn't as informed as I am now), and I still purchased it and put a screen protector on it immediately, I will do the same with this, so no biggie for me.

Maybe you guys should take better care of your phones if you are really worried about scratching it and cracking the glass ;)

Reactions: rhietpas
Upvote 0
Arguing over Gorilla glass is a moot point now. Now we know that it does not have gave GG, either get it, or don't. There's no point in continually arguing and sulking over this phone not having it.

I for one will get it even without the Gorilla Glass, it's not that big of a deal to me.

When I purchased my X I wasn't aware that it had GG (I wasn't as informed as I am not), and I still purchased it and put a screen protector on it immediately, I will do the same with this, so no biggie for me.

Maybe you guys should take better care of your phones if you are really worried about scratching it and cracking the glass ;)

+1

Upvote 0
Nahhh, I Disagree! Its deff something that should be on a high end phone, and honestly , it works! U wont find the hairline scratches that you would normally find on a phone that doesn't have it! Its not full proof, but its the best glass you'll find at this moment in time.

Watch the drop test between the Samsung Galaxy S2 vs the iphone 4s...and then tell me if you'd rather spend $600 on a phone that doesn't have it, vs a phone that does have it. ; )

I have had many phone in the last few years and the only one I put a scratch on was a Samsung Glyde which had a resistive touchscreen anyway. I have had Iphones, HTC, Samsung, and Motorola Android phones and never scratched any of them.

The reason the iphone shattered is because its made out of metal and glass. When it hits the ground its not going to take as well as plastic and glass hitting the ground. Some people don't like how Samsung uses plastic but it is for a reason. Plastic is going to absorb the shock of a fall better then a metal body. Lets say you took a Thunderbolt and did the test against the Iphone. They both would have shattered. HTC phones seem to have very high screen shatter rates even though they are all using gorilla glass.

It would have been nice to see it included on the Galaxy Nexus but its not going to stop me from buying it.

Upvote 0
Does anyone know how much better Gorilla Glass is better than competitor scratch resistant glasses?

I hear lots of claims about Gorilla Glass, but I don't know if it is the result of hype and marketing or actual objective performance.

I've never seen a "scientific" test, not I would trust anyway.

I know GG is extremely good but "how" good, who knows...

edit: I'm sure others have been improving their glass the last couple years also.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones